Author Topic: Focus on different things simultaneously?  (Read 555 times)

LoneWolf

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana (Goenka)
Focus on different things simultaneously?
« on: April 23, 2017, 10:56:25 PM »
Hi brothers and sisters,

In this post I am referring to techniques taught in Goenka's retreat. For the past couple of days I have been focusing mostly on awareness of breath between the upper lip and below the nostrils. Then towards the end I will do the body scan. I've noticed a couple things:

1. I will have a split awareness of my thoughts and the breath sensations at the same time. How do I decrease the former and increase the latter?
2. When I proceed to the body scan, I will be aware of my breath at the same time of the body scan. For example, I will feel sensations on my toe while simultaneously being aware of my breath. For some reason, this is changing my breathing pattern. I'm not doing this consciously but I stop breathing until I move my scan to another part of my body.
3. Sometimes I become more fixated on the idea of watching my breath than my actual breath. How can I tune more to the actual sensations than the idea of watching the sensations?

If you wish to tell me a different method, it's not what I'm looking for (though I really appreciate it, really). I think it is great that people care so much about helping other's practice to suggest what they believe the proper technique...I really mean it..Since people care about meditation I can see why they see this as their duty. But for now I have decided to stick to Goenka's method. If doesn't sit well with you, consider me doing the first two steps of anapanasati sutta (in breath and out breath) but not the third step (breath sensitive to entire body). Thanks!

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
Re: Focus on different things simultaneously?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
Hi brothers and sisters,

In this post I am referring to techniques taught in Goenka's retreat. For the past couple of days I have been focusing mostly on awareness of breath between the upper lip and below the nostrils. Then towards the end I will do the body scan. I've noticed a couple things:

1. I will have a split awareness of my thoughts and the breath sensations at the same time. How do I decrease the former and increase the latter?
2. When I proceed to the body scan, I will be aware of my breath at the same time of the body scan. For example, I will feel sensations on my toe while simultaneously being aware of my breath. For some reason, this is changing my breathing pattern. I'm not doing this consciously but I stop breathing until I move my scan to another part of my body.
3. Sometimes I become more fixated on the idea of watching my breath than my actual breath. How can I tune more to the actual sensations than the idea of watching the sensations?

If you wish to tell me a different method, it's not what I'm looking for (though I really appreciate it, really). I think it is great that people care so much about helping other's practice to suggest what they believe the proper technique...I really mean it..Since people care about meditation I can see why they see this as their duty. But for now I have decided to stick to Goenka's method. If doesn't sit well with you, consider me doing the first two steps of anapanasati sutta (in breath and out breath) but not the third step (breath sensitive to entire body). Thanks!

1. Try to "put" your attention on breath, rather than trying to observe breath with details, and maintain awareness of it. See if you notice some things rather than seeking to notice.
2.Don't worry if your attention does not "stick" to the object. It is not important. You should feel your mind will still and it will be more easy to see the distinction between awareness and wandering, and calmly come back to simple awareness.
3. Mental chatter should decrease by practising awareness this way rather than trying to apply the technique with no real awareness of what's happening in the bodymind. The technique is just a vehicle to go into awareness of the sensations in the present moment.

Good luck friend!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 03:38:15 PM by Laurent »