Author Topic: Guided meditation versus other forms of meditation  (Read 693 times)

Cyath

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Guided meditation versus other forms of meditation
« on: April 23, 2017, 01:52:05 AM »
On the advice of a doctor friend, I have been trying out guided meditation (mainly from Youtube videos) I think it's working out better than other forms of meditation for me, mainly because I am able to not be so distracted with someone's voice to guide me.

What do you all think? Maybe I should just go with it? I've done sitting and walking meditation so far, but I kind of like guided the most.

I guess there is no real right or wrong with meditation, just what works for you? I've found that to be the case at least. :)

Nicky

• Pali
Re: Guided meditation versus other forms of meditation
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 06:10:55 AM »
As long as the guided meditation is basic, such as letting of thoughts, watching breathing & metta, it is generally O.K.

Some people should avoid guided meditations that attempt to have the listener enter into & realise emptiness, space, infinite consciousness, etc, because the listener's mind may not be ready for this.

Regards  :)

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 07:17:52 AM »
I mix it up, newcomers should find guided meditation useful, and it's a good re-prompter for those more experienced, from time to time. However for me, I often find myself becoming equanimous early on while listening to a guided refresher and find it extra noise.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »
There's good advice here, Cyath. Keep to basic guided meditations such as mindfulness of breathing, checking that there is no advanced stuff that will be unhelpful. A bit confused why you say 'I've done sitting... but I like guided the most'. Weren't you sitting during guided meditation?
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

LoneWolf

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana (Goenka)
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 11:08:06 PM »
Hi Cyath,

Before I had gone to a Vipassana retreat, the first two types of meditation I did were guided and mantra meditation (mantra: "I am").

I found I liked the Vipassana the most because the mantra and guided meditations made me sleepy and not necessarily more aware. But everyone is different, so if you feel like you aren't falling asleep and still aware, I'd say go for it!

Some people mention not to mix techniques...I think that's generally good advice so I'd say that would be good too.

Finally, I'd say some of the best guided meditations are Loving-Kindness meditations. I'd say try a few of these too if you haven't!

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 11:15:54 PM »
I agree with LoneWolf - loving kindness guided meditations have the greatest value. Other guided meditations should be seen as a crutch to get you walking - and quickly discarded.

Metta,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Cyath

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:03:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far! I'll respond to some of them here.

Sitting meditation for me is counting the breath. I do sit when I'm doing guided meditation, but the content of the meditation is different.

Would be open to try some loving kindness guided meditations. Any to recommend? Or should I just Google/Youtube it?

I use this meditation currently :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdimZQ-kOmU

because I speak Japanese and it is a very spiritual language to me. It's about connecting to the Higher Self.