Author Topic: I had an experience and now I have a question.  (Read 614 times)

QuietFox

• So what is a good meditator? The one who meditates
  • Who are you?
    • vipassana
I had an experience and now I have a question.
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »
I need someone to explain this to me. I've been meditating for over 3 months now. I have tried a few different techniques but have settled on vipassana. I focus on the breath as it comes in and out of the tips of my nostrils. When a thought enters my mind I note that it is "thinking" and then return to the breath. I do this for 30 minutes. Every day.

I have had a few experiences where this amazing warm feeling washes over my entire body and my mind seems to open to a wide expanse where my breathing becomes absolutely beautiful. My heart rate increases as well.

Today I sat for 30 minutes and my mind was a bit active compared to other days recently. So when the timer went off I continued to sit. At some point after 30 minutes I had that warm feeling experience wash over me and it was even more profound. It then subsided for a few minutes and then returned even stronger. It was absolutely mind blowing. Such and incredible feeling of strong warmth or joy or bliss or.....I'm not quite sure how to describe it. I started breathing quicker, my heart was pounding, but I have never felt better in my life. It was absolutely earth shattering.

Can someone here please explain what happened to me and what this experience is?

LoneWolf

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana (Goenka)
Re: I had an experience and now I have a question.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 05:30:25 PM »
Only you know what happened to you, it was an experience of your body :) Don't worry too much about defining it!

You will become pretty aware of your body, you will learn a lot through Vipassana. But the pleasant sensations (like you had today), try not to get attached to them. Same with the negative sensations, don't try to suppress them. If you do this, and just note what you are feeling, letting it be as it is, you will learn more and more about yourself.

Props on establishing a meditation routine :)

QuietFox

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »
Thank you LoneWolf. I'll take your advice.....but.....an experience like that is so powerful it's difficult not to wonder exactly what in the world it was. These have happened to me a few times only not as powerfully. The experiences are the same and appear to be repeatable. At times they almost happen and then abruptly stop. Kind of like a wall is coming at you and you stop at the wall. The mind blowing experience comes when I seem to break through the wall. **Note** I'm using "wall" as a metaphor.

Nicky

• Pali
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »
I have had a few experiences where this amazing warm feeling washes over my entire body and my mind seems to open to a wide expanse where my breathing becomes absolutely beautiful. My heart rate increases as well.

Positively, the warm feeling is called 'momentary rapture', which is a neurological reaction to the calming of the breath & the focus of the mind. Negatively, the heart rate increasing is probably excitement, craving & attachment caused by the mind obsessing over the experience..

It then subsided for a few minutes and then returned even stronger. It was absolutely mind blowing. Such and incredible feeling of strong warmth or joy or bliss or.....I'm not quite sure how to describe it.

"Joy" or "bliss" is how to describe it.

I started breathing quicker, my heart was pounding, but I have never felt better in my life. It was absolutely earth shattering.

Again, the mind is clinging to the experience causing the heart to pound. Also, the mind has some panic or fear, due to the novelty of the experience. Meditation is about observing every experience with equanimity. Try to remain calm when the bliss manifest (since calmness itself is the cause of the bliss).

Can someone here please explain what happened to me and what this experience is?

I already explained it. The mind is practising concentration, stillness, letting go & calmness, which is resulting in the bliss. But instead of continuing to cultivate the causes of that bliss, namely, 'letting go', your mind is getting caught up in the bliss & **THINKING** and obsessing about it.

When a method brings good results, the mind should identify & continue to practise that method (rather than depart into thinking about the results).

Thank you LoneWolf. I'll take your advice.....but.....an experience like that is so powerful it's difficult not to wonder exactly what in the world it was. These have happened to me a few times only not as powerfully. The experiences are the same and appear to be repeatable. At times they almost happen and then abruptly stop. Kind of like a wall is coming at you and you stop at the wall. The mind blowing experience comes when I seem to break through the wall. **Note** I'm using "wall" as a metaphor.

Yes. The wall as I already described; that is; the attachment to the bliss. A method is being practised and as soon as it brings results. the method is being abandoned. That is "the wall".

Regards  :)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
My advice is to keep the good feelings in mind when the bad stuff surfaces too.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

QuietFox

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 05:17:10 PM »
 Thank you for the comprehensive answer Nicky. I'm grateful.

QuietFox

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 05:19:15 PM »
My advice is to keep the good feelings in mind when the bad stuff surfaces too.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bad stuff. If the "bad stuff" is proportional to the good feeling I had then I am in deep trouble.