Author Topic: is aphasia the goal?  (Read 460 times)

alan_smith

• Learner
    • Vipassana
is aphasia the goal?
« on: April 08, 2017, 10:37:42 PM »
Interesting piece on aphasia and stroke victims:
http://nautil.us/issue/47/consciousness/what-my-stroke-taught-me

Some quotes:

The smallest of activities would enthrall me. Dressing myself, I was awed by the orbital distance between cloth and flesh. Brushing my teeth, I was enchanted by the stiffness of the bristles and the sponginess of my gums. I also spent an inordinate amount of time looking out the window. My view was mainly of the hospital’s rooftop, with its gray and untextured panels, though I developed a lot of interest in a nearby tree. I could only make out the tops of the branches, but I’d watch this section of needles and boughs intently, fascinated by how the slightest wind would change the shape entirely. It was always and never the same tree.

She describes it as “brain chatter” that was “replaced by a pervasive and enticing inner peace.” In addition, she writes that she “didn’t think in the same way,” partially because of the “dramatic silence that had taken residency” in her.

I was experiencing a near-constant sensation of interconnectedness

Sounds not unlike meditation? Perhaps the inner piece of meditation would be considered brain damage if you couldn't pull out of it?

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Re: is aphasia the goal?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 10:34:33 AM »
I'm sure that a certain amount of 'rewiring' goes on in the brain when we meditate, linking different areas and weakening other links. There's probably someone out there saying that this is a form of brain damage!
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka