Author Topic: U Ba Khin  (Read 1081 times)

Jack

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
U Ba Khin
« on: April 02, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »
Hello,

I took part in 2 Goenka retreats. Although I truly appreciate the method (learning not to react to body sensations) I find evening lectures unnecessary.

Are there lectures in other U Ba Khin schools (IMC or others)? Is there any place (teachers) where one follows and learns the technique alone?

Can you recommend any sanghas without cultish approach?

Thank you,
Jack

Ben-meijer

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana - goenkha
Re: U Ba Khin
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:09:51 PM »
Hi Jack,

Could you please explain in more detail why? and your rumminatins?

Please note, the goal is not to react to mental and emotional urges as well, but Goenka doesnt spend any time talking about that.
I too am interested in who teaches in the way you request.

Jack

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 11:37:30 PM »
The list would be to long for a single post but I will try to give a short explanation.

1. I do not like that lectures are being played every evening when people are really tired and their brains (after many hours of meditation) are super-receptive and passive.

Thus, it is easy to download any ‚software’ into your mind and there are many things being said that I (and other participants) did not agree with.

The fact that you cannot discuss it with others and/or ask questions is just not fair. If there is ‚noble’ silence obligation then let’s all keep it, right?

2. Mr Goenka repeats and implies very often that one is ‚intoxicated’.

If you start to believe your ‚intoxication’ then it becomes main reason why you start to practice Vipassana.

More you go to the retreats more you are forced (you cannot skip the lectures) to listen and deeper believe how ‚intoxicated' you are.

Closed circle.

3. There are 2 main complexes deeply rooted in the human psyche: feeling guilty and low self esteem. 

Goenka's lectures do not help to deal with those problems. They make them grow.

4. The world is what you think it is. According to many teachers (Buddha also) the physical reality works as a mirror of your thoughts.

Just beware if someone is not trying to ‚rebuild' your projector instead of helping you clean it.

Vishal

• Who are you?
    • Sayagi Ubakhin & S. N. Goenka Tradition
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
Hello,

I took part in 2 Goenka retreats. Although I truly appreciate the method (learning not to react to body sensations) I find evening lectures unnecessary.

Are there lectures in other U Ba Khin schools (IMC or others)? Is there any place (teachers) where one follows and learns the technique alone?

Can you recommend any sanghas without cultish approach?

Thank you,
Jack

Jack

Good to know you completed 2 courses and most importantly you understood and appreciate the method, that is what they try and ensure that one who attends a course at the very least understands the technique and then if by experience finds it beneficial then stays with it. Good on you on that part.

Equally good to know that you find the lectures unnecessary. Well remember your first course when may be you did not know anything about the teachings of the Buddha and Vipassana. Well many of the new students in any case roughly about 60 to 70 % in each course they fall in the same category, who are unaware of the fundamentals of the practice. The lectures are there to cover the fundamental parts or the theoretical aspect of the Buddhas teaching. If in college or schools teachers will not tell us about the theory before the practical, what chances do the students have of not meeting with an accident or completing the practical?

There is only one place where the follower learns on his own. The place is the time of his meditation may be at home, in the bus or at the park under the tree. Otherwise there will always be a helpful and compassionate teacher in every tradition to guide us and show the way. You will never find a place with no teacher or no guidance. They all do that and it is necessary.

However, you still can teach yourself by just relying on your experiences. You have the technique now, work with and as you will grow in it it will take you to new levels of experience progressively. Your own experience will become your teacher. This is what Buddha wanted from us and this is what most of the teacher wants to see.

It is only inside you that you can follow the technique and you will learn alone and that is the best place to be just relying on self.

Also they want to take as much as you like and leave the rest (in your case lectures) (Caution is just to not mix anything with technique).

Hope it might be of little help.

May all beings be happy and peaceful!

Vishal

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 03:53:44 AM »
i found the lectures a bit boring the second time around. but occasionally, i had a bad day and i found something in the lecture that encouraged me and lifted my spirits. the discourse (pravachan) incidentally is culturally an indian thing. in some regions, it can take the form of a musical performance. some of the chanting in Goenka recordings include couplets written by Goenkaji. sometimes people mistake this for attempts at cult formation, but generally they are attempts at poetry and music rather than something sinister.
Mostly ignorant