Author Topic: Is There Anything More Frustrating Than fing Mindfulness  (Read 834 times)

OneTimeMan

• Who are you?
    • N/A
Is There Anything More Frustrating Than fing Mindfulness
« on: March 10, 2017, 07:43:10 PM »
Thich Nhat Hanh - The Miracle of Mindfulness

The above mentioned book is the first and (so far) the only book I've bought on meditation. It's really easy to read but to apply the concepts, not so much.

The important point that I would like to mention is that I'm not a meditation sceptic, I truly believe it can enhance life and knowledge of your inner self. But it makes me so angry (at myself mostly).

The author describes how I should breathe during meditation (I'm still on the method described in the first or second chapter). The description is so simple and nice but still... dear lord.

"Your breath should be quiet, so quiet that a person sitting next to you cannot hear it."

How is this even possible? I've spent a couple of weeks practicing this every day and I'm obviously taking the wrong approach since if you're in the room with me, you'll hear my breath.

"When you have finished exhaling, pause for an instant to let your lungs take in a fresh air of their own."

This is the part that frustrates me the most. My lungs apparently have no desire for air and they don't take in a "fresh air of their own".

I'm doing this all lying down on a blanket as the author instructed. Also I could quote sever other instances of the breathing part but it all pretty much comes to this.

Anyways, got any tips or reassurances?

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Is There Anything More Frustrating Than fing Mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:38:14 PM »
I think the advice is for an effortless breath and/or one that's as quiet as possible - for basic etiquette if you're sitting with others. Don't get caught up on the specifics so much, if your breath makes a noise so be it. Just relax with the breath.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 01:31:38 AM »
Advice? U will probably be in first chapter even after 2 years....  :D
K just kidding. It takes time to adopt those simple things into everyday life. But it is worth it.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 10:01:12 AM »
I think the sound of the breath thing was a description of the type of breath rather than a direction not to disturb others (which we try not to do, but sometimes you just have to clear your throat or cough). It's a phase in meditating where we are trying to give our minds something to concentrate on rather than the usual stuff that keeps randomly popping into our heads. Eventually, for me anyway, it becomes a ten or twenty minute stage at the start of every meditation, to get 'into the groove' of meditating again before moving on to another stage.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:56:04 PM »

The above mentioned book is the first and (so far) the only book I've bought on meditation. It's really easy to read but to apply the concepts, not so much.

The important point that I would like to mention is that I'm not a meditation sceptic, I truly believe it can enhance life and knowledge of your inner self. But it makes me so angry (at myself mostly).

The author describes how I should breathe during meditation (I'm still on the method described in the first or second chapter). The description is so simple and nice but still... dear lord.

"Your breath should be quiet, so quiet that a person sitting next to you cannot hear it."

How is this even possible? I've spent a couple of weeks practicing this every day and I'm obviously taking the wrong approach since if you're in the room with me, you'll hear my breath.

"When you have finished exhaling, pause for an instant to let your lungs take in a fresh air of their own."

This is the part that frustrates me the most. My lungs apparently have no desire for air and they don't take in a "fresh air of their own".

I'm doing this all lying down on a blanket as the author instructed. Also I could quote sever other instances of the breathing part but it all pretty much comes to this.

As mind concentrates, breath will naturally tend to be more slight. Those instructions are not for beginners but for persons who meditates very regularly.
Don't force yourself to be silent or to stop after breathing if you don't understand clearly the goal of those advices.

Leigh

• Write something about yourself here
    • Secular
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 11:29:29 PM »
I've found that it's common in meditation books for things to be described in way that just doesn't make sense to me.  Sometimes the meaning starts to make sense later.

For example having quiet breath makes perfect sense now.  Even now, when I first sit my breath is also loud and rough, not quiet.  But it turns out if you can let yourself get deeper it slowly gets quieter.  It can take me a full twenty minutes to get there.  Sometimes it gets so quiet I can't even hear myself! I'm serious man - After enough practice it's a pretty normal thing, just takes time.

Regarding your lungs wanting breath on their own - Technically this is not a precise statement, but remember breathing can happen without your voluntary action.  I take her statement to mean, try and let your body take the breath it wants to on its own, while you simply observe passively and maintain your attention.  Again this is something I notice closer to the 30 minute mark, so I can easily see it not making sense until you have some time in.

Finally, because you come in here with an f word in the subject I would imagine you are under some stress in your life currently.  That makes practicing a bit more difficult but it's definitely still possible.  Remember this is the one thing in life where it's not possible to fail.  Study, sit, repeat.  Don't try to make it happen too quickly.  I don't say this because you're impatient.  Rather it's because letting go of your expectation is part of the thing that frees you.

There are other books that spell things out more explicitly

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:31:37 PM by Leigh »