Author Topic: breath awareness problems  (Read 994 times)

Olivier753

• Who are you?
    • None
breath awareness problems
« on: February 25, 2017, 05:21:22 PM »
hello everybody, first im french so its a little bit difficult for me to understand fully english, i have  few questions:

1.) when i do a meditation on my breath i focus on my nostrils... but im struggling with the technique i dont know if my technique is good or not, i meditate close eyes and its difficult for me to focus on my nostrils sometimes i cannot locate the sensations of the breath or even the tip of the nose

2.)also, i dont know if i have to place my awareness on the nostrils first to feel the sensations of the breath ,or just feel the sensations when it come on my face without perfectly locate it, it seems that this second option fits better for me because i dont struggling to much to focus on a specific area on the nose and im more relax when i defocus myself.

im very lost

TheJourney

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana, Anapana, and 4 foundations of mindfulness
Re: breath awareness problems
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 07:54:07 PM »
That is concentration meditation which leads to self hypnosis.

Look at recent thread. There is discussion on this.

TheJourney

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana, Anapana, and 4 foundations of mindfulness
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:02:04 PM »
YouTube  "meditation retreat - meditation or self-hypnosis"

Watch the video.

Check out http://www.bhantepunnaji.com/

Then download the return to tranquility pdf near the lower right hand corner of the webpage.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 04:07:49 PM »
Here is how I try to explain a new person how to concentrate.
Now try to listen to the Suttle sound of the airplane. See how u focused ur mind, made it sharp and pointed it out to the sky? U didn't worry if there was a sound or not. This is concentration. Now use the same thing to the tip of ur nose.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:00:04 AM »
hello everybody, first im french so its a little bit difficult for me to understand fully english, i have  few questions:

1.) when i do a meditation on my breath i focus on my nostrils... but im struggling with the technique i dont know if my technique is good or not, i meditate close eyes and its difficult for me to focus on my nostrils sometimes i cannot locate the sensations of the breath or even the tip of the nose

2.)also, i dont know if i have to place my awareness on the nostrils first to feel the sensations of the breath ,or just feel the sensations when it come on my face without perfectly locate it, it seems that this second option fits better for me because i dont struggling to much to focus on a specific area on the nose and im more relax when i defocus myself.

im very lost

1. I was taught this, but as the third stage rather than the main focus. I use counting the breath techniques for the first two stages, and then have a go at feeling the sensations of the breath. For me it's aesier after the first two.

2. The whole point is not the awareness, but keeping the mind on something other than the random stuff it wants to throw at you. It is taming the mind rather than focusing on the breath.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Alex

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
Hi Olivier

Welcome to this forum.

It’s very normal to struggle and to ask yourself ‘Am I doing this right?’. And it seems that you have good intuition: it’s not about forcing or changing anything, but to be aware in a natural and relaxed manner.

So, I invite you to continue with your ‘second option’:  simply ‘feel’ or ‘be present with’ the sensations of the breath wherever they arise.

Kind regards
Alex

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 06:06:22 PM »
Hi Olivier,

Nose-meditation forces concentration and lacks a balance of relaxed awareness. You have noticed already that you are "more relax when (you) defocus" yourself, as you express it.

Meditation on breathing, in my experience, is best practiced using an awareness of all bodily sensations created by the breathing process, and relaxing the body as you breathe in and out. There is an article on the homepage about this form of meditation located here.

Like learning to ride a bicycle, meditation practice takes time. And sometimes you fall off ... so you get back on and try again :)

Welcome to the forum.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~