Author Topic: Is it possible that one's brain is wired differently  (Read 1092 times)

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
Is it possible that one's brain is wired differently
« on: February 21, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »
Recently I start to feel that I feel any emotions or feeling too strongly in my mind. For example, When I become angry I become very angry. If I feel hatred I feel strong hatred. I don't know What determines the emotion amplification. Also,
I have obsessive kind of thinking pattern. If I work on some problem at my work place it becomes very hard for me to letting it go. I think about it even when I come back home after work although I want to work on something else. Due to this I feel agitated during the meditation.

Is this behavior due to the strong attachment with things? or Can it be that my brain is wired little differently?

Meditation is helping me with it still I find it difficult to control sometimes. Any other advice will be helpful. Please ask more info if needed.

Meditative

• Who are you?
    • Nothing
Re: Is it possible that one's brain is wired differently
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 01:45:35 AM »
Nah dude everyone is wired differently, I definitely have similar experiences to you. A lot of times my emotions are so overwhelming I feel trapped and can't seem to let them go. Everyone carries stress around with them throughout the day, it just means you're human.  I'd invite you to watch this video, it will REALLY help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYnTY-X3U-Q

Also I'd invite you to do something physically active if you can and make it meditative. For example go for a jog and really feel your body move, don't do it mechanically. Use the emotions as fuel and you will feel so relaxed afterwards.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 11:32:40 AM »
Chatting to people at the Buddhist center, it's amazing how many first went along to find some form of anger management. They usually stayed, not only because it worked, but they found that meditation gave them so much more. But it's not always easy, and sometimes things get worse before they get better when meditation brings things to your attention. The idea is to develop skills in looking at such things in a different way.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

TheJourney

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana, Anapana, and 4 foundations of mindfulness
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 12:11:52 PM »
Google Dr Punnaji to watch his video or go to his website to learn how to meditate the right way as the first step.

In the mean time, apply that meditation practice as much as you remember to.

Learn from Dr Punnaji in how to bring unconscious reaction into consciousness.

You are constantly having unconscious emotional reactions. We all have it. Just need to learn to get that into the open so that you can see it instead of it being invisible to you.

raushan

• Staff
  • from India
    • S. N. Goenka switched to Samatha Forest Tradition
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »
Meditative,

Thanks for sharing the video. Basically it's trying to say what suttas says. watching it was helpful as we tend to forget.
I have been doing Gym for almost 1 hour regularly for 1 year apart from meditation. It has been helpful. But recently, I had to stop it because of my sprained ankle. Trying to switch to Yoga asanas but don't know how to start. Any advises? What kind of exercise you do?

stillpointdancer,
But it's not always easy, and sometimes things get worse before they get better when meditation brings things to your attention. The idea is to develop skills in looking at such things in a different way.

Thanks, since I started meditation many times there has been ups and downs in my mind. But overall I feel I have progressed. I believe I should have more faith. 

TheJourney

Thanks for your advises on meditation and vipassana. Reading your answers really give different perspective. But, currently I find the current practice is working for me. So, not thinking to switch to another practice for now. But, I have been reading the contents you share with us. As, I think it's important to have open mind for all the other practices. Will read what you have suggested and consider it.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 07:06:39 PM »
We tend to think emotional problems arise from our brains being different but I think for the most part there isnt a lot of variance in the human brain. Our minds and experience give the impression there must be specifically wrong with us, for we can't feel emotions on behalf of anyone else. But rest assured there are many other people who are the same.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:01:16 PM »
Modern society is oppressive. The individual is oppressed by those who manage society.

Quote from: Edward Bernays 1928 (Nephew of Sigmund Freud)
The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, and our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of… It is they who pull the wires that control the public mind.

Oppressed individuals go on to oppress those around them, especially family members and children but also work subordinates or anyone perceived as lower in the hierarchy.  Lacking self-agency it becomes pathological to take power over others and maintain and propagate the suppression of our society.

Strong emotions of anger, rage and hatred are most often, in my experience, down to the individual's emotions being suppressed, negated, dismissed or blamed - often in childhood. This is a trauma for the child to be told what they feel is "wrong", not valid. So they learn to suppress it, even though this breaks a fundamental sense of truth in them - and then it may rear it's ugly head later in life, as something that feels "uncontrollable".

Meditation helps by disengaging the identification with emotional states, whilst at the same time bringing peace to the bodymind which allows the suppressed emotion to come out in a measured way. It is like "lancing a boil" to let out the poison.

It is related to attachment and it can cause the brain to be "wired" differently as a result ... yet this is fully reversible as recent studies on brain plasticity have shown.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~