Author Topic: Seisures and tremors during meditation  (Read 2157 times)

metamorphosis

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Seisures and tremors during meditation
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:08:24 AM »
I started meditating in October and sometime in november I used to find my left arm jerk and twitch during my 20 min session.
Last week I joined Vipassana 10 day course and through out my entire course I had my left arm uncontrollably twitch jerk . But that's just not it. I used to have seisure kind of episodes as well where my neck used to drop completely to the right side while my left arm used to feel tremors continuously. 

It happens only during meditation but now I am back home and I am in a constant state of feel sensations , hence the jerks continue while I am not meditating as well

Anyone can throw some light on this

I am freaking out and have decided to go get it checked by a medical professional

Manohar Shrestha

• Let's explore our mind and body
    • Vippasana ( Sayagi u Ba Khin tradition) student
Re: Seisures and tremors during meditation
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 04:06:43 PM »
During Vippasana meditation practice, a person may feel jerks depending on his or her shankharas. This means a meditator is progressing in terms of awareness. But he or she must also be equanimous by remembering its impermanent nature (Annica).

Your awareness has been developed to some extent. As a result, you feel sensations and jerks back home also. No need to worry. Now you try to be equanimous by remembering its impermanent nature.

Goenka Guruji has instructed us to practice anapana, if we feel gross sensations which is also difficult to tolerate. Moreover, he has also instructed to focus on body extremities (palm and lower part of feet). This should only be practiced when meditators feel uncomfortable.

We should also remember three characteristics of sensations i.e. annica (impermanent), Dukkha (misery), annata (no self).

You may consult medical professionals. Most likely, they will not find any problem.

Be calm. You are in the process of purifying your mind. Be happy.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 04:12:33 PM by Manohar Shrestha »

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:18:18 PM »
I am freaking out and have decided to go get it checked by a medical professional
Metamorph,
Good call. It sounds like you have pinched nerves in your neck. Definitely have a pro-checker-outer take a look.
Cheers
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
When I had my neck checked out they told me that it wasn't really designed to be held still, which is ok when meditating alone, I can do the right exercises during meditation, but kind of distracting for others when doing group meditations. I had to stop sitting with others unfortunately.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

metamorphosis

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:31:15 AM »
@Manohar : Thanx for the encouraging response.I really want to believe that its the purification of mind and not any physical illness.Thanx for the tip about concentrating on the extremes like palm or feet.Now that you mentioned I think it does subside when I do that. My vipassana teacher kept telling me to focus on the breath as well

@ Mettajoey ; Thank you for mentioning about pinched neck because that is something I had not heard of before.Only to console my restless mind I still plan to visit the doctor and get it checked

@stillpointdancer..Funny my neck feels falling like that.I used to be able to keep it straight before