Author Topic: Need advice. Meditation causing me to be conscious in my sleep  (Read 1356 times)

Meditative

• Who are you?
Need advice. Meditation causing me to be conscious in my sleep
« on: February 08, 2017, 02:23:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

Ever since I quit daily usage of marijuana and replaced it with a daily meditation practice, I notice that almost every time I go to sleep or nap, I wake up in this twilight state where my body is fully asleep but I am awake and aware... Sometimes I hear voices, very loud jet engine/tornado wind type sounds, and sometimes it's just very quiet. I can even leave my body on command, but it is very difficult. Most of the time I get massive vibrations over my whole body like I’m a human vibrator.  Then end up waking up due to the excitement.

One time I woke up in my sleep and I left my body temporarily, I felt like I was spinning very fast, and when I opened my eyes, indeed I could see my room spinning. I’ve even seen my body lying on my bed once, but it wasn’t very clear. Does anyone have any experience, knowledge, or advice about this? I never experienced anything like this until I started daily meditation. The more I meditate, the more clarity I have in these states.

By the way I keep my meditation practice playful and flexible. I just sit and observe any part of my body that I feel like. I don’t try to stick with a rigid regimen. Thank you for reading!

Nicky

• Pali
Re: Need advice. Meditation causing me to be conscious in my sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 07:13:27 PM »
This experience might possibly be from a combination of meditation and the mind & nervous system adjusting itself from marijuana withdrawal.

Smoking marijuana everyday most likely affected the mind & the plasticity of its neurology therefore the cessation of marijuana use will generally result in adjustments or withdrawal symptoms, which include neurological & mental re-balancing.

Like most meditation experiences  -  that are just 'special effects'  -  simply view them with equanimity. Ultimately, as stated in the old Buddhist scriptures, the goal of meditation is to observe things without covetousness (greed) & without distress.

Regards  :)

Meditative

• Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 05:29:44 AM »
Nicky thank you for your reply! Cannabis withdrawals are pretty crazy at times, I can feel my inner chemistry drastically changing every day. It's been a pretty wild ride to sobriety... My mind seems to be relatively detached despite how exciting this new ability is. I know this because I don't really care if it happens or not. It usually happens spontaneously when I don't expect it.

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 02:08:04 PM »
Two things come to mind for me: one is that you can have some very interesting experiences through meditation. Just realize they are manifestations and go back to the breath. Second: there is such a thing called Sleep Paralysis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis that can also cause the effects you mentioned.

I'm not a doctor, but my advice would be to see if these things pass during this transition. If not see a doc.
Also, find a local teacher and/or sangha to support and aid your practice.
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Meditative

• Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 03:48:03 PM »
Mettajoey yeah a lot of the time it is a sleep paralysis. I've never actually experienced this during a meditation. Usually when I'm in this state I can control my hands but I'm not sure if I'm physically moving. I've done some reading and some spiritual websites claim sleep paralysis is a spiritual attack. I'm skeptical because I've never had the feeling of being threatened in this state. The only terrifying experience I've had is when a female voice called my name, then I had the sensation that I was being shaken, like someone was urgently trying to wake me up. At first I was scared, but immediately I just watched with equanimity, and I woke up fine, no harm no foul.

There is a Therevada buddhist center near my place where monks from thailand teach Dhammakaya meditation. I know Dhammakaya gets a bad wrap, but these people genuinely want to help, and they never ask for anything in return. I'm not sure where else to look for expert guidance.

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
Wikipedia says: "About 8% of people experience sleep paralysis at one point in their life." Maybe this is your time. I would strongly caution about using labels and defining this as a spiritual attack. This scientifically explainable phenomena is shrouded in myth and is likely the basis of the Succubus and Incubus legends. Unless it continues or becomes problematic just accept it or get a professional checker-outer to be sure.

I'd say those monks probably have a great deal to share with you especially if you are new to meditation. No one says you're locked into anything; it's an exploration. There is nothing like personal experience to clarify what you want or need. Your intuition will guide you if you let it.
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do