Author Topic: Manifesting  (Read 5261 times)

Amy Axelrod Kaufman

• Who are you?
    • I lead Guided Meditations and I am a Reiki Practitioner
Manifesting
« on: January 27, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »
Good Morning!  Well I know I'm certainly not the first person to talk about manifesting but something hit me yesterday.  With all that is going on in the world we have two ways to look at it.  As I write a Reiki thought everyday, today's was, "There is no heaven or hell - it's what we create in our mind and in our world."  Are you living in heaven or hell?  It begins the moment you wake up.  What kind of a day are you going to have?  If you are facing something stressful and saying in your mind how awful things are going to be then you are indeed creating a hell for yourself.  If you go into any given situation thinking everything will be alright then trust me.  It will.  I speak from experience.  I'm no different than anyone else but what I work so hard on is my positive nature and my ability to be positive no matter what I am facing.  We are so powerful.  More powerful than we realize and it is this very power that gives us the ability to manifest what we really want and worse, what we in our right minds would never want.  Be careful in your thoughts if they are negative but if they are positive, throw caution to the wind.  Today is THE perfect day for it as this evening at 7:08 it is New Moon Wishes for Aquarius. Hand write your top 10 wishes, whatever it is that your heart desires.  May they manifest for you when the time is right!  Blessings, ~Amy~

Nicky

• Pali
Re: Manifesting
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:26:54 AM »
The Pail scriptures also say 'hell' occurs at sense experience:  ???
I have seen, bhikkhus, the hell named ‘Contact’s Sixfold Base.’ There whatever form one sees with the eye is undesirable, never desirable; unlovely, never lovely; disagreeable, never agreeable. Whatever sound one hears with the ear … Whatever odour one smells with the nose … Whatever taste one savours with the tongue … Whatever tactile object one feels with the body … Whatever mental phenomenon one cognizes with the mind is undesirable, never desirable; unlovely, never lovely; disagreeable, never agreeable. SN 35.135
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:25:07 PM by Vivek »

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:01:18 PM »
This says it better than I can:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et_jG58qg1k
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »
Moving this thread to Banyan Tree as the subject is not related to meditation as emphasized in this forum.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

mdr

• Write something about yourself here
    • Ji Goenka
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:27:33 AM »
This says it better than I can:

This is awesome!!! Thanks for sharing, Matthew!

I must say, we still have this thing for minced meat that 'manifests' around 4:00  :D

One question: from which part of UK is this pronunciation? I understand everything, but it's special, maybe similar to one they speak in "Trainspotting" ? (Sorry for hijacking the thread, we can all go back now to visualizing red sports cars  :angel:

Meditative

• Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
Have an open mind guys, manifesting may be a real thing. People who successfully do it say you must first get to that place of stillness and detachment before manifesting can happen. The more detached and present you are, the easier it is to manifest. It's paradoxical. Visualization/imagination is a powerful creative tool if you add a meditative quality to it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:59:53 AM by Meditative »

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »

One question: from which part of UK is this pronunciation? I understand everything, but it's special, maybe similar to one they speak in "Trainspotting" ? (Sorry for hijacking the thread, we can all go back now to visualizing red sports cars  :angel:

The accent is Scottish, probably from the Glasgow area. The comedian Billy Connolly has much the same accent and I think that's where he's from.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

mdr

• Ji Goenka
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 03:22:16 PM »

The accent is Scottish, probably from the Glasgow area. The comedian Billy Connolly has much the same accent and I think that's where he's from.

Too cool! Thank you for replying, stillpointdancer, much appreciated!  :)

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 09:23:38 PM »
At first I thought, why are they slamming Manifesting?? I use it to great effect, alot. Then I read OPs post. Not that kinda bubble gum, pop culture manifesting... I get it now!
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Meditative

• Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 05:17:19 AM »
Mettajoey- Since you have more experience can you please explain the difference between real manifesting and the "bubble gum pop culture" type of manifesting? I'm relatively new to all this spiritual woo stuff.

mdr

• Ji Goenka
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 08:07:11 AM »
Mettajoey- Since you have more experience can you please explain the difference between real manifesting and the "bubble gum pop culture" type of manifesting? I'm relatively new to all this spiritual woo stuff.

Meditative, maybe you would like to read Plato (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave )

That's, like, a 'serious discourse' on the topic. If more advanced students/ practitioners get the time, i am sure they'll point you where to read in Buddhist sources. (I would if i knew.)

Late Sathya Sai Baba loved that term, manifesting. He was a pedophile and a con man. I haven't heard anyone else using that word that much.

If you have strong will, discipline and ok genetics (health), more so if you happen to be born in a stable country and more-less educated and healthy surroundings - you can achieve most things. Of course it's also better to think ''happy thoughts'' than to suffer from depression, but in most of the cases it's not a conscious choice.

To "Hand write your top 10 wishes, whatever it is that your heart desires." is ... well, silly, unless you are 12 y old.

Meditative

• Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 08:49:11 AM »
Thanks for the link, it's very interesting. So what I get from that article is that we create our perceived reality with our minds, but this is an illusion (explained by the prisoners believing what they saw on the blank wall to be true reality). So is real "manifesting" consciously using the mind to create your perceived reality while being conscious to the fact that it's still an illusion being created?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:53:21 AM by Meditative »

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 01:15:36 PM »
Just like most things, you need to dig through the chafe to find the truth. Books and movies like "The Secret", make the process far too fanciful. To manifest something new in your life starts with knowing what it is you may need to further yourself on your path. Then, you need to stop fantasizing about it (this uses up the necessary energy) and make positive steps in the direction you want to go. Writing down your goals somehow does (as I've found looking at some of my old posts) have a benefit. So does telling your partner and/or friends (this is one of the benefits of a sangha). So it simply takes work. The whole idea of manifesting a sports car in your driveway just by creating space and waiting and wishing is ridiculous.
Or, it just may simply be a path for folks to follow who never realized through all their social conditioning that they can attain more in their lives. This is what our meditation practice is about

I'm not much of a philosophy fan in as much that Plato's "Allegory of the Cave" is basically a just thought experiment and never been tested. There's no evidence that this is really true and it's just a metaphor that has some potential uses. Reality is a much better teacher and more so is connecting with your body. People's egos love to get lost in words and symbols...

I think folks may forget that all we truly know is what we have personally experienced. This is all we can honestly share. What have you done and and has happened as a result is all that matters and all I can offer to you as a possible benefit.
Cheers!

mdr

• Ji Goenka
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 01:45:57 PM »
Just like most things, you need to dig through the chafe to find the truth. Books and movies like "The Secret", make the process far too fanciful. To manifest something new in your life starts with knowing what it is you may need to further yourself on your path.

Thanks for replying, mattajoey. I agree with what you write. I think the matter is with the word itself. To "manifest" is usually being used in Sai Baba's, "The Secret" & alike circles. What you refer to, as i get it, is setting and achieving goals. It's not that i have anything against miracles and in various religious scriptures those are recorded. (Mind you, those are not historical books.) Usually, when it's said "to manifest" it's meant to achieve something in borderline miraculous ways. It's possible, but not probable. See what i mean?

mettajoey

• Share the love
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
Snow day today here in New England and my working world is canceled so I can do some laborious, for me, writing.

Here's a real metaphor for manifesting:
I recently became obsessed playing disc golf, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf . What's not to love, hiking through the woods with buddies and throwing things at targets; way more fun than you may think. One of the aspects that really intrigued me was the mental game. This is instant manifesting. The why is because if you can't visualize the flight path, have the confidence in your throw, and relax and let the body then perform, you won't make the shot except for shear luck. It doesn't matter if it's the drive, approach shot, or putt. You actually have to manifest your shot and it's tested when you throw. This instant feedback is fascinating to me. When we play partners, I always tell them if you feel the shot, take it. I've made some incredible shots, but they must be manifested through those three steps. Any break in focus or lacking in those three aspects will likely hit a tree or miss the basket. What's more, if the last thing you say to yourself is, "don't hit that tree!", well that's a pisser because you'll nail it. Be sure to ask for what you want, not what you don't.

If this whole thing has just become simply and obvious, that's because it is. Just a lot less sexy and more real than "The Secret". They leave out the work part and emphasize the fantasy which social science has proven doesn't work. (Yes, it's been tested I'll post the link if I find. It was on a podcast called Hidden Brain)
Good luck.
Cheers!

mettajoey

• Share the love
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »
Thanks for replying, mattajoey. I agree with what you write. I think the matter is with the word itself. To "manifest" is usually being used in Sai Baba's, "The Secret" & alike circles. What you refer to, as i get it, is setting and achieving goals. It's not that i have anything against miracles and in various religious scriptures those are recorded. (Mind you, those are not historical books.) Usually, when it's said "to manifest" it's meant to achieve something in borderline miraculous ways. It's possible, but not probable. See what i mean?
[/quote]

Hi MDR,
When one moves in the direction they were meant to, miraculous things can happen. They just chose to head into what I feel is the purely entertainment realm. Buy our books and movie then you have miracles!!
One has to look deeper.

mdr

• Ji Goenka
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 02:44:33 PM »
Snow day today here in New England and my working world is canceled so I can do some laborious, for me, writing.
Mdr heartily waves to mettajoey, all the way from Montenegro.  :)

Here's a real metaphor for manifesting:
I recently became obsessed playing disc golf, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf . What's not to love, hiking through the woods with buddies and throwing things at targets; way more fun than you may think. One of the aspects that really intrigued me was the mental game. This is instant manifesting. The why is because if you can't visualize the flight path, have the confidence in your throw, and relax and let the body then perform, you won't make the shot except for shear luck. It doesn't matter if it's the drive, approach shot, or putt. You actually have to manifest your shot and it's tested when you throw. This instant feedback is fascinating to me. When we play partners, I always tell them if you feel the shot, take it. I've made some incredible shots, but they must be manifested through those three steps. Any break in focus or lacking in those three aspects will likely hit a tree or miss the basket. What's more, if the last thing you say to yourself is, "don't hit that tree!", well that's a pisser because you'll nail it. Be sure to ask for what you want, not what you don't.

Oh, i do something similar, when i do Yoga and can't get into Asana, i "see" in my mind's eye that i am already in the position - stretched/bent or whatsoever  :)

If this whole thing has just become simply and obvious, that's because it is. Just a lot less sexy and more real than "The Secret". They leave out the work part and emphasize the fantasy which social science has proven doesn't work. (Yes, it's been tested I'll post the link if I find. It was on a podcast called Hidden Brain)

Love your wording!  :D

mdr

• Ji Goenka
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 02:46:14 PM »

When one moves in the direction they were meant to, miraculous things can happen. They just chose to head into what I feel is the purely entertainment realm. Buy our books and movie then you have miracles!!
One has to look deeper.

Couldn't agree more!

mettajoey

• Share the love
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
Mdr heartily waves to mettajoey, all the way from Montenegro.  :)

Right back at you mdr!
Cheers

Meditative

• Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 09:56:55 PM »
So things like the secret appeal to people because it seems like a quick fix, but shit doesn't work that way. I have a much better idea of what "manifesting" is now, I like how you bring up the disc golf example. I've known visualization is used by athletes to elevate their game. For example, NFL stars like Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are known to use visualization which is a reason why they are so elite. They say that they can see in detail the play happening long before it actually takes place. This is some amazing spiritual stuff. A lot of elite athletes are very spiritual people.

Have you read "You are the Placebo" by Joe Dispenza? He relentlessly studies and scientifically measures the placebo effect, meditation, spontaneous remissions, and other miraculous events. He claims to have spontaneous remissed after being run over by a semi truck, fracturing six vertebrae, and paralyzed. This was his rock bottom in life, so the only way was up. This is what gave him his life mission of studying this phenomenon. He says we are like a midget riding on top of a giant. The more we learn the skill of observation, the more oneness and connection we have to this "giant." When he says giant he's referring to the amazing intuition and intelligence of the body (reminds me of what you said about connecting with the body) that digests your food, beats your heart, and performs trillions upon trillions of highly ordered chemical reactions in your body with unbelievable precision. If we can connect with this intelligence we open the door to infinite possibility. Thank you Mdr and MettaJoey for helping me understand better (I hope I do). The wisdom and intelligence displayed by the members of this forum is truly astounding.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 10:13:56 PM by Meditative »

mdr

• Ji Goenka
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »
Thank you Mdr and MettaJoey for helping me understand better (I hope I do). The wisdom and intelligence displayed by the members of this forum is truly astounding.
Oh, thank you for keeping up an interesting topic! I don't think i am more knowledgeable in this field than you, it's that i like to exchange opinions  :)

mettajoey

• Share the love
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 02:07:43 AM »
He says we are like a midget riding on top of a giant.
Love that. Perfect

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 10:02:55 AM »
I like the science behind some of this stuff. People noticed that if someone had a broken leg, the leg would heal faster if the good one was exercised. Then they dug deeper into the whole thing and found that if someone visualized the broken leg being exercised, it again healed faster than otherwise, with less physiotherapy needed afterwards. In terms of what happens to you in life, I don't think you can manifest good stuff happening to you, but you can be receptive and open to change.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

mdr

• Ji Goenka
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »
I like the science behind some of this stuff. People noticed that if someone had a broken leg, the leg would heal faster if the good one was exercised. Then they dug deeper into the whole thing and found that if someone visualized the broken leg being exercised, it again healed faster than otherwise, with less physiotherapy needed afterwards. In terms of what happens to you in life, I don't think you can manifest good stuff happening to you, but you can be receptive and open to change.

Great observation, stillpointdancer! What i concluded for myself from our conversation on the topic is that visualization does work, especially for things that make one's own progress and betterment (health, sports, healing and so on.)
When i had heart attack last March, not that i am crazy about what i am doing and where i am living, but i have work and family obligations i felt i hadn't completed (book which wasn't sent to the publisher yet and my parents to whom i am the only child and the only caretaker). My heart had stopped. I didn't have all the light manifestations and stuff they talk about, but i did see my own body from above and my best friend/ nurse who was beside me. She was crying. I felt (from above that is) such tenderness and i was so sorry she was crying that it's impossible to describe, really. I am hyper sensitive anyway and i love that friend dearly, but these emotions then were from an entirely different range. From one side i was glad it's over (i had achieved comparatively a lot, but it came with an expensive pricing and i felt very tired at the time), from the other side, i felt it was my duty to stay. And so i did. They reanimated me.
Sorry for the digression, but i didn't know how to come to the point otherwise: they told me i was the only patient of theirs who was laughing during six day of the hospital stay. I know i come across a bit stiff in my writing, but i learned English mostly from books and mostly it was the formal language. In real life i am not "long faced", i am optimistic, still trustful, still enthusiastic of most things (call me stupid  :D ) The main cardiologist there (she's a world renown specialist) told me that based on that characteristics, i'll make it and with minimal damage. And so it was. I didn't have heavy consequences and i was working 2 weeks after i was released from hospital. At 45y of age, i was the eldest patient there (that week was unheard of in their practice, most people were in their late 20ies, sportsmen.)
So, mind over matter - yes, definitely. My car... Well, i got lucky with that too, but still had to lease it and work to pay it off ;)

Meditative

• Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »
Mdr- I remember you telling me about the heart attack in a forum discussion like 2 weeks after it happened. I'm really glad you are alive! It's so great to be alive  :) :)

Stillpointdancer- I think it's a fine balance between intention and openness and receptivity. Too much intention and the ego takes over, attaches and tries to control/force everything. Too much let go/receptivity and you become lazy and lethargic. You still have to do work. We are the midget whispering into the ear of the giant (with love and gratitude).

By the way I meditated with some Buddhist monks yesterday. At the end of the meditation we did a visualization where we imagine expanding feelings of love and peace throughout the world and cosmos. They told me that when the mind is silent, it has exponentially greater power. The body really is the mind... Mind over matter!

Okay enough talking, time to experience!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:01:09 PM by Meditative »