Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 1707 times)

SamuliGröhn

• Who are you?
    • Breathing meditation
What am I doing wrong?
« on: January 26, 2017, 06:32:03 PM »
Hello,

I'm not a native English speaker so don't mind the possible odd weird expression. I'll make my best to get my point across as clearly as possible.

My aim in my meditation practice is to let go of any thought that enters my mind. I have meditated approximately for one year in total, but not continuously - there have been pauses that have lasted around from a few days to couple of weeks. When I first started meditating I was very motivated and could see progress - I felt happier and sort of free from certain thought-patterns that previously had caused me suffering and anxiety, and I could also concentrate better.

However, during the past few months that I've been meditating I have not seen any progress in my meditation practice at all. During meditation I have this feeling that I can't let go of my thoughts, and I experience an enormous unwillingness and inability to discipline my mind.

I also have this feeling that I really don't understand the overall process how the mind exactly lets go of a certain thought. I just feel like there are periods in my life when my mind can do it, and periods when it totally can't - I can't see what the exact key to letting go of a thought is.

So, my question to you guys is, what do you think I'm doing in my meditation practice? Or is this just part of the journey that I have to go through? Do you have any suggestions what I should do?

Nicky

• Pali
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »
I also have this feeling that I really don't understand the overall process how the mind exactly lets go of a certain thought.
Hello Samuli

The mind best lets go of thought when it understands the harm or disadvantage of that thought.

Regards

behappy123

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 08:38:02 AM »
However, during the past few months that I've been meditating I have not seen any progress in my meditation practice at all. During meditation I have this feeling that I can't let go of my thoughts, and I experience an enormous unwillingness and inability to discipline my mind.

I struggle with this too but I have to keep reminding myself that the whole purpose of meditation is to let go of the expectation.  I know I've gotten attached to certain feelings, sensations, moods, etc and expect to find them when I come back to meditation however they aren't there and I think I'm regressing.  This is not the case, it's the reality that things won't always be what they were in the past and are ever evolving. There is no concept of progress or regression, there is just sitting and observing.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
'Letting go' in this sense means not staying with the thought, so returning to the point of concentration of your particular meditation. For me, mindfulness of breathing does this nicely. When I want to let go of a thought I return to counting the breath. The mind now has something else to latch on to and lets go of the thought.

There are other meanings of 'letting go' which might be causing confusion, one of which is the letting go of ideas you have about the world, or about yourself, by looking at them objectively.

If you are still getting rather bogged down, try some other meditations for a while and then go back to your current one.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
So, my question to you guys is, what do you think I'm doing in my meditation practice? Or is this just part of the journey that I have to go through? Do you have any suggestions what I should do?
I think you're looking for an answer in the form of thought or some sort of equation. This is how the mind normally goes about solving problems. Too cold? Put more clothes on. Hungry? Then eat.

But in this instance, "letting go" doesn't occur like that, it's not a concept or an idea. It's stepping outside of the mind, a place of being rather than of doing. The thoughts will still come, but the point is not to run away with them. As stillpointdancer has said, mindfullness of breathing is one tool which can be used for this. Not only does it give you something else to focus on other than thought, but it should also help ease your overall state of mind.

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 01:01:30 PM »
Read Suttas, if you don't do it yet.

TheJourney

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana, Anapana, and 4 foundations of mindfulness
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »
Cause and effect. Every arising phenomenon has a cause.

The cause is attachment. Attachment can be at the subconscious level.

I had certain patterns of train of thoughts more than 2 years ago. I removed the condition and the train of thoughts disappeared as well.

You have to look into your pattern of thoughts and drill down to see the cause. Attachment to self will always lead to some thoughts, then there are attachment to other things that will lead to certain pattern of thoughts.

Mental noting your thoughts can help reduce train of thoughts but until liberated it requires effort to keep a still mind.

I don't mingle with Christians or have any email contacts. That reduce certain pattern of thoughts. I stopped emailing and  just  reading news  every once a while like once every 2 to 3 weeks. This stopped certain pattern of thoughts.

I removed the condition that the mind was grasping onto, and with cessation of condition the effect ceased. Noble Truth of Suffering.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »

I don't mingle with Christians or have any email contacts. That reduce certain pattern of thoughts. I stopped emailing and  just  reading news  every once a while like once every 2 to 3 weeks. This stopped certain pattern of thoughts.

I'm not quite sure that I understand what you mean by this. You can only make progress if you don't talk to Christians?
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

TheJourney

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana, Anapana, and 4 foundations of mindfulness
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »
I'm not quite sure that I understand what you mean by this. You can only make progress if you don't talk to Christians?

What I am saying is that arising thoughts are resulting consciousness of kamma. There is root condition for every arising thought. The root condition can be compounded.

In this case, obviously clinging to the view that I am right and view of eternalism is wrong and having social contacts with them will lead to arising thoughts pertaining to the different opinions.  By removing the condition that contribute to train of thoughts, those thread of train of thoughts cease.

Remove the condition that contribute to suffering will cease suffering.

Remove the condition that contribute to certain pattern of train of thoughts will cease that certain pattern of train of thoughts. Once your practice is mature, you can socialize with them and would not cause that pattern of train of thoughts to arise because you are more mindful.  Initially, when you are trying to remove certain pattern of train of thoughts, you need to remove the condition to help fortify your initial weakness to stop the train of thoughts.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »

What I am saying is that arising thoughts are resulting consciousness of kamma. There is root condition for every arising thought. The root condition can be compounded.

In this case, obviously clinging to the view that I am right and view of eternalism is wrong and having social contacts with them will lead to arising thoughts pertaining to the different opinions.  By removing the condition that contribute to train of thoughts, those thread of train of thoughts cease.

Remove the condition that contribute to suffering will cease suffering.

Remove the condition that contribute to certain pattern of train of thoughts will cease that certain pattern of train of thoughts. Once your practice is mature, you can socialize with them and would not cause that pattern of train of thoughts to arise because you are more mindful.  Initially, when you are trying to remove certain pattern of train of thoughts, you need to remove the condition to help fortify your initial weakness to stop the train of thoughts.

Ok. I see your point now. It's just that I personally prefer to use the phrase 'letting go of' ideas, rather than 'removing them'.