Author Topic: Buddhism and the Stoics  (Read 1195 times)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
Buddhism and the Stoics
« on: December 09, 2016, 11:44:34 AM »
Hi guys. I'm always interested in aspects of the path arising spontaneously in other times and areas of the world. Recently I have got interested in the stoics and their understanding of how to look at ideas. They often seems to be looking at things with something like mindfulness. Anyone know of any writings linking Buddhism with aspects of stoicism that I can follow up?
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Nicky

• Pali
Re: Buddhism and the Stoics
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 08:07:02 PM »
Buddhism originated in India sometime between the 6th and 4th centuries BCE, from where it spread through much of Asia.

Greco-Buddhism, or Graeco-Buddhism, is the cultural syncretism between Hellenistic culture and Buddhism, which developed between the 4th century BC and the 5th century AD in Bactria and the Indian subcontinent, corresponding to the territories of modern-day Afghanistan, Tajikistan, India, and Pakistan.

Stoicism is a school of Hellenistic philosophy founded in Athens by Zeno of Citium in the early 3rd century BC.

I do not know of any writings linking Stoicism with aspects of Buddhism that you can follow up.

:)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 10:52:09 AM »
Buddhism originated in India sometime between the 6th and 4th centuries BCE, from where it spread through much of Asia.

Greco-Buddhism, or Graeco-Buddhism, is the cultural syncretism between Hellenistic culture and Buddhism, which developed between the 4th century BC and the 5th century AD in Bactria and the Indian subcontinent, corresponding to the territories of modern-day Afghanistan, Tajikistan, India, and Pakistan.

Stoicism is a school of Hellenistic philosophy founded in Athens by Zeno of Citium in the early 3rd century BC.

I do not know of any writings linking Stoicism with aspects of Buddhism that you can follow up.

:)
Yes, it's just that I am interested in parallel developments of things like mindfulness practice, and the ancient Sceptics, of the Stoical school, have an interesting approach to dealing with thoughts and ideas that would work in a similar way to mindfulness. 
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:05:10 AM »
Perhaps coincidentally they were both on the right path.

In fact I daresay many religions are pointing in the same place just using different methods to get there.

Nicky

• Pali
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 11:58:42 AM »

Yes, it's just that I am interested in parallel developments...

Nah. No such thing as "coincidentally parallel developments". Buddhism states there can only be the arising of one Self-Enlightened-Buddha in a world-system.

::)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
    • Insight meditation
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »

Yes, it's just that I am interested in parallel developments...

Nah. No such thing as "coincidentally parallel developments". Buddhism states there can only be the arising of one Self-Enlightened-Buddha in a world-system.

::)
'Buddhism' is wrong then. Actually, the Buddha has been the only person who was able to become enlightened and then to pass on his path to the rest of us, in a way that we too can become enlightened. The only one who could see the world as it really is, without the trappings of Gods or any magical element. If you sit as the Buddha sat, you too will become enlightened, whether you know about Buddhism or not, whether you have heard about the Buddha or not. The big difference is in interpreting your insights in a way that will enhance the rest of your life- which is what Buddhism is all about, and why I am a Buddhist.

There is only one self-enlightened Buddha, but there could be many self enlightened people, maybe uncounted millions over the age of the Earth. They just weren't the Buddha, with his genius for passing on the path.