Author Topic: Seeing colors and sky while meditating  (Read 3479 times)

Mrmeditater

• Who are you?
    • None
Seeing colors and sky while meditating
« on: December 06, 2016, 06:21:21 PM »
My name is Josh. I am very new to meditation and loving it! I have only meditated about 5 time for 25-40 minutes at a time. My very first time after about 5-10 minutes I saw a blue eye pop up. About two minutes later a orange bird or dragon figure popped up. After that it was a blue swirl that pulsated. Every time after that I have seen colors and the eye. My last time (last night) I saw the eye about 7 times. I'm not sure what color it was in any of the times I can't remember. The last two times I've meditated once I have gone into a deep state I see this dark blue sky. It's only a blue spec at first then after pulsating for a minute and getting closer with each pulsate and bigger. The closest I have came is to where I am basically looking at a dark blue sky with stars. There is a tree line that I see in it too almost like I'm looking from the ground. Then I start thinking about how crazy it is and come out of the deep state and it fades away.

My question is, has anyone here ever seen anything like this?
Does anyone know how to interpret these things?

I have talked to my friend and wife about these things and they say they believe me but they can't relate because they don't meditate. I don't know anyone that does that I can talk to which is why I've came here! This is such a crazy thing to me and I love it but would like to talk to people that at least know half of what I'm talking about.

I have done some research and found some things about the colors and chakras. Also about the eye meaning I've been opened to my third eye. I just want to talk to some other people about it lol.

P.s. Sorry if any of my text is messed up. I am typing this at work and in a hurry!

Thanks in advance everyone and I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
Re: Seeing colors and sky while meditating
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:58:45 PM »
Maybe these are some visions from your previous birth.
Mostly ignorant

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »
Hello,

I too have some mental images, mainly landscapes or colors. Most of time, they are not seen with the eye but rather in the mind, but i remember some experiences where i had the feeling of seeing through my eyelids, knowing it was not real because what was seen did not match with the reality. That was the only times where i really had the feeling of seeing with eyes while meditating.
Now i feel those mental images rather exhausting than something else.

Mrmeditater

• Who are you?
    • None
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 02:43:59 AM »
Thanks for all of the info everyone! I was meditation tonight and I think I might of been falling asleep and right before I fall all the way to sleep I would wake up. The last time I did it I had a really quick dream. It was three girls sitting there with a hand in all of their hands. All I seen of the hand was a arm and a hand. They said stay with us while kind of giggling and I came out of sleep or deep meditation or something lol. It was really weird.

behappy123

• Who are you?
    • vipassana
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 10:12:42 AM »
I get these quite a bit, but just like all other sensations I pay little attention to them or try not to give them too much importance.  I don't think they are visions of any kind but I could be wrong.  I'll have to experiment more or just observe more when they come up.  My current theory, mind you this is with little testing, this is it due to an involuntary defense mechanism of the body to force they eyes open.  I only say this because during meditation we are aware that we are awake and it is a very unfamiliar sensation to the mind to be both active and have sight prohibited.  During sleep, our bodies go into a hibernation mode of sorts so the mind doesn't feel as fearful.  Again just a theory...

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »
Thanks for all of the info everyone! I was meditation tonight and I think I might of been falling asleep and right before I fall all the way to sleep I would wake up. The last time I did it I had a really quick dream. It was three girls sitting there with a hand in all of their hands. All I seen of the hand was a arm and a hand. They said stay with us while kind of giggling and I came out of sleep or deep meditation or something lol. It was really weird.
What can happen during meditation is that the brain is now working in a different way. It is making new neural links and pathways, which is how meditation can bring about permanent changes. Sometimes, pathways to different areas of the brain open up, which are normally only accessed during sleep- hence you 'see' things as vividly as in a dream. You may also hear or smell stuff. Of course, you could just be nodding off  ;)
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Mrmeditater

• Who are you?
    • None
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 01:45:05 PM »
It's definitely and experience! I literally see a eye form out of the mist about 5-10 times while meditating for 30 minutes. I love how I feel when I'm meditating and I feel just good, excited and happy all around.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 06:27:23 PM »
I don't think the eye has any significance, or the colours. What we see is a result of neural/brain activity, a bit like day-dreaming, or even like dreams when you are asleep. It's just the brain doing its stuff, consolidating memories, shifting things around, making associations, fantasising and so on.
Mostly ignorant

TheJourney

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana, Anapana, and 4 foundations of mindfulness
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 09:19:51 PM »
Maybe nimitta, sign of imminent access concentration.

I saw chariot wheel in wooden color rotating at my nose area. Did you see them at the nose area?

Andy

• Who are you?
    • Theravada Buddhism
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
My name is Josh. I am very new to meditation and loving it! I have only meditated about 5 time for 25-40 minutes at a time. My very first time after about 5-10 minutes I saw a blue eye pop up.

Is this what you see? Apparently it's quite common.