Author Topic: Frequency of thoughts not slowing down at all  (Read 4073 times)

playground

• do good.
Re: Frequency of thoughts not slowing down at all
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 12:23:02 AM »

An earlier digression in this thread concerned the book
     'Clarifying the Natural State'.

I knew if i was patient... it would somehow turn up. 
Here is the PDF:
http://en.bookfi.net/s/?q=Clarifying+the+Natural+State&t=0

be happy :)

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
Hi Middleway.

Part of the problem is terminology, as the brain is always conscious, unless of course it has been rendered unconscious by a blow to the head or something, so trying to track down meanings and then apply them to Buddhist terminology is a big problem. No wonder we (meaning I) get confused and have to thrash out stuff like this.

It is interesting to note that you have avoided mentioning mind and its nature. Investigating the nature of the mind is at the core of the buddhist meditation practice. Anyways, it is just my opinion. Good luck with your book.

kind regards,

Middleway
Hi Middleway. You are right that the mind and brain are used in different ways, and that Buddhism is usually about the mind. After all, we can bring the teachings to mind but not bring them to brain  :) My biological input was investigating how working on the mind brings about physical changes to the brain, not because it is particularly important to the path, but it might be useful to people here in the west who rely on scientific proof of stuff to really believe it. I was playing around with rewriting parts of the Satipatthana Sutta to make it more accessible to science trained people like me. (BTW, I wrote a whole chapter on the 'mind' as opposed to the 'brain', but it was pretty tricky stuff as we use the words loosely and interchangeably; nearly lost my mind .....)
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 11:44:43 PM »
Hi Middleway. You are right that the mind and brain are used in different ways, and that Buddhism is usually about the mind. After all, we can bring the teachings to mind but not bring them to brain  :) My biological input was investigating how working on the mind brings about physical changes to the brain, not because it is particularly important to the path, but it might be useful to people here in the west who rely on scientific proof of stuff to really believe it. I was playing around with rewriting parts of the Satipatthana Sutta to make it more accessible to science trained people like me. (BTW, I wrote a whole chapter on the 'mind' as opposed to the 'brain', but it was pretty tricky stuff as we use the words loosely and interchangeably; nearly lost my mind .....)

Yes, how the mind brings about physical changes to the brain is not important to the path. Mind is where all the action is in my opinion. Brain is just a piece of fatty tissue or just food re-arranged. This re-arranged food gives rise to consciousness and for that reason it is important to take care of this "re-arranged food" that we call (our) bodies. This is my version of the body contemplation of Satipattana Sutta.

You said thoughts originate in our brains and I beg to disagree. Not all thoughts originate in our brains. We are all constantly broadcasting our thoughts as we think. We can actually think other peoples thoughts. This is how monks read other peoples' minds. I have personally experienced this myself. When our mind is empty (of thoughts), it is capable of acting as receivers. We then think that those are our thoughts.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 03:19:27 AM »
You said thoughts originate in our brains and I beg to disagree. Not all thoughts originate in our brains. We are all constantly broadcasting our thoughts as we think. We can actually think other peoples thoughts. This is how monks read other peoples' minds.

Do monks really read peoples' minds? I've read about this but always thought they don't read peoples' minds as much as read their body language correctly to guess correctly peoples' state of mind. This happens to me too when I'm in a calm state of mind. I can gauge other people's moods. But of course that is not the same as reading the mind. There is no scientific backing for it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:21:13 AM by dharma bum »
Mostly ignorant

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 01:47:04 AM »
You said thoughts originate in our brains and I beg to disagree. Not all thoughts originate in our brains. We are all constantly broadcasting our thoughts as we think. We can actually think other peoples thoughts. This is how monks read other peoples' minds.

Do monks really read peoples' minds? I've read about this but always thought they don't read peoples' minds as much as read their body language correctly to guess correctly peoples' state of mind. This happens to me too when I'm in a calm state of mind. I can gauge other people's moods. But of course that is not the same as reading the mind. There is no scientific backing for it.

Yes, there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that some monks are capable of reading minds. Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Munn for example are known to read minds. Science is yet to catch up on this. There is a lot of research being conducted to develop mind reading machines. Our brains essentially process signals/frequencies etc. and convert them into information and knowledge. It is quite plausible that our brains are able to receive signals emitted from other peoples thoughts and similarly process them. Thoughts are very subtle matter and our minds are full of thoughts and therefore likely interfere in this process. After close to three years of meditation practice, I am now beginning to distinguish between my thoughts and that aren't. This is my personal belief (of my experience?) and I cannot support with empirical evidence that would withstand scientific scrutiny.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

dharma bum

• Certified Zen Master (second degree black belt)
    • vipassana
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 03:38:25 AM »
Thanks Middleway, that's very interesting. So the mind works like a radio receiver.
Mostly ignorant

Ja192827

• Who are you?
    • Vipissana
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
So if we are standing in line next to a stranger who is having bad thoughts, you are saying it is possible those very thoughts will enter our minds?

playground

• do good.
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

Yes, there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that some monks are capable of reading minds. Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Munn for example are known to read minds. Science is yet to catch up on this. There is a lot of research being conducted to develop mind reading machines. Our brains essentially process signals/frequencies etc. and convert them into information and knowledge. It is quite plausible that our brains are able to receive signals emitted from other peoples thoughts and similarly process them. Thoughts are very subtle matter and our minds are full of thoughts and therefore likely interfere in this process. After close to three years of meditation practice, I am now beginning to distinguish between my thoughts and that aren't. This is my personal belief (of my experience?) and I cannot support with empirical evidence that would withstand scientific scrutiny.

I'm very interested in this topic of 'mind reading'.
If anyone has any links to articles or other material on this topic i would
be very grateful if you could post it.  :)