Author Topic: Set timer, sit still and close your eyes  (Read 7139 times)

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Set timer, sit still and close your eyes
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 12:23:00 AM »
thankyou middleway but was here already with different name sariputta (thought it a bit arrogant) so changed it .....

sorry if I got off topic......

No worries at all. And yes, I see your point but it could be for inspiration too. I chose middleway as a reminder for myself.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »
What Middleway said /\  :) Liberating the subconscious from years of habit.

Yes, certain habits, but also pleasant and unpleasant memories/impressions we store in our mind. For example, I see a kid who looks likes the bully who harassed me in high school. At the  sight of this kid, my mind quickly pulled decades old image, compared and pulled it to the fore (of my mind). Then those old unpleasant memories come rushing into the mind. Now, I begin to get angry all over again. Now, why does this happen? Why does my mind recollect those old memories (I called knowledge) and rehash them? Those memories are absolutely useless to me now. Another example. I saw a mango tree with large fruits hanging by the branches. What I first saw was a thing. My mind quickly compared it my knowledge database, and classified it as a tree. Then, it compared again with my database stored in my mind, and classified it as mango tree. Then, it went onto recall how I used to climb up the tree and pluck those mangoes (my neighbors tree when they are not around). Then another memory comes rushing in on how I used to cut them to small strips and sprinkle salt on them and eat. My mouth is filling with water right now as I type recalling the taste. Why does my mind have to remember these unpleasant and pleasant memories? What is the point at all? Well, we need this for survival. We encounter bad stuff poisonous snakes (knowledge), we run the other way. So, it is good. But what is the point in all other garbage? Both good and bad? It is useless. So, I train my mind and remind it every time it recalls this garbage from the past. Slowly, these thoughts and memories loose their grip on me and I do not recall them as often and if they pop up every now and then, my mindfulness immediately notices and discards them as "past garbage" so that there is no prolonged thought train or feelings associated with it.

If we can only forget, set the timer, sit still and close our eyes. Then who needs the Buddha or his teachings?

I now see your point Matthew. Yes, the knowledge/memories we store in our minds are not necessarily good or bad, it is our habit of grasping them, our tendency to hoard it and unable to let go is what we must tackle.

Thanks for this Matthew!

Kind regards,

Middleway
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

TheJourney

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana, Anapana, and 4 foundations of mindfulness
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 08:16:54 PM »
Neuroscientist has explained that breathing meditation is a struggle with your left brain that is always trying to find excuse to get out of the boredom of breathing.

It takes time and patience to discipline the mind. It also helps if you practice one to two minutes often during the day.

Wandering thoughts arise because there is a lot of grasping in you.