Author Topic: Meditation difficulties  (Read 1631 times)

Monica

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness of breathing
    • Searching
Meditation difficulties
« on: September 07, 2016, 11:51:46 PM »
About 3 weeks ago, I stopped meditating. I had some sort of scary experience so I interrupted my sitting and pretended it never happened. In fairness, the experience was not plain scary, it was just weird. Sometime during the meditation I felt a strange, although strong vibration in the base of my skull and then a weird sensation in my mind. I don't know how to describe it but it was enough for me to stop the meditation and walk away.

The days after have been bizarre. I have been feeling really bad anxiety, ringing in my ears, and my concentration and focus just went out the window. I stopped doing my normal activities, and of course I have not done my daily sittings. I have missed appointments, work, and many other routine things I normally do and the worst part is that I don't know how to fix it.

I don't want to be afraid of meditating but that is my general feeling right now. A few years ago, something similar happened when I was trying to establish my practice, I had scary experience when I felt a "visit" of sorts and I stopped back then until a few years later.

I read somewhere in this forum someone say something along the lines of "this is my mind trying to stop me from meditating" and that gave me some hope that this could be my case too, but I don't know.

I don't know if I have a question. I am just hoping to hear from you and get some opinions.

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
Re: Meditation difficulties
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:54:57 AM »
Monica, I read this query and other queries you posted before - ringing in ears and all:

Do you have a well-established monastery nearby  - find one or fly to one and spend some time there in the sacred space, charged with vibrations of metta and vipassana.

Keep the morality (shila).

Avoid food like meat, oil, sesame seeds etc.
Avoid eating at night.

Fill you heart with thoughts of goodwill.l

Move to a new place with ample sun coming in the rooms.

Be well.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 11:09:47 AM »
About 3 weeks ago, I stopped meditating. I had some sort of scary experience so I interrupted my sitting and pretended it never happened. In fairness, the experience was not plain scary, it was just weird. Sometime during the meditation I felt a strange, although strong vibration in the base of my skull and then a weird sensation in my mind. I don't know how to describe it but it was enough for me to stop the meditation and walk away.

The days after have been bizarre. I have been feeling really bad anxiety, ringing in my ears, and my concentration and focus just went out the window. I stopped doing my normal activities, and of course I have not done my daily sittings. I have missed appointments, work, and many other routine things I normally do and the worst part is that I don't know how to fix it.

I don't want to be afraid of meditating but that is my general feeling right now. A few years ago, something similar happened when I was trying to establish my practice, I had scary experience when I felt a "visit" of sorts and I stopped back then until a few years later.

I read somewhere in this forum someone say something along the lines of "this is my mind trying to stop me from meditating" and that gave me some hope that this could be my case too, but I don't know.

I don't know if I have a question. I am just hoping to hear from you and get some opinions.

The mind really can do strange stuff when you meditate. Not always, but often enough to freak you out if you overthink what is happening. You can slip into an altered state of consciousness. We do this every time we fall asleep, but then we usually don't remember it, or we dismiss what we do remember, quite rightly, as just a dream.

Meditating altered states of consciousness are different in that we are fully aware of what is happening. Our minds get somewhat confused, though and find it hard to interpret what we are experiencing. Consequently it tries to understand as if we weren't meditating, so it pops up as something strange and unsettling. It's just a normal part of meditating and actually tells you that you are doing something right. Carry on as before, but be aware that stuff can happen.

Of course, it may have been due to bad posture during meditation. If you have access to experienced meditators they may be able to advise you. It only takes a movement out of line, and the head-neck-spine position moves out of alignment, maybe causing a trapped nerve. It might be worth having a chat with your doctor as well.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »
There is nothing wrong is being scared. Being anxious. The question you need to ask yourself is why are you running away from fear all the time. Its time to sit down with it and have a talk. Let the sensation of fear spread all through your body without creating any resistance to it. Don't restrict it, don't trap the sensations of fear to some parts of the body. Just let go and let it spread as it wishes.

Turiya

• Who are you?
    • Theravada
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 03:47:19 AM »
Hi Monica, I feel for you, but you know what, to some extent you do have to push through the weird experiences some are listed here :

http://www.wildmind.org/mindfulness/three/odd-experiences-in-meditation

They won't hurt you, and they pass if you just ignore them.

It's the anxiety about going mad, being possessed and everything else, that may tend to come up. I quit meditation for long periods for similar reasons. A lot of back and forth went on but eventually I could just sit through them, now really strong "weirdness" barely bothers me at all. A lot of it is brain and nervous system balancing. If it gets too much give it a rest for a while and do some grounding actions, exercise, service, yoga etc. You will be OK, guaranteed.

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 05:00:39 AM »
Here is a very good Pali sutta, overcoming difficulties in meditation during Buddha's time:

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books11/Bhikkhu_Nyanadassana_Ratana-Sutta-The-Three-Superb-Jewels.pdf

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 02:55:47 PM »

It reminds me all those parapsychology subjects. Extrem coincidences, religious experiences,invisible entities, and other matter like this.
I have been long interested about those subjects because i had some issues in the past.
In all those manifestations, the constant is manipulation.
Victims of those phenomenons pass through a lot of feelings from fear to faith, they tend to develop beliefs or philosophies, and their life become centered on those phenomenons. It ends almost all time in religious manipulation with invisible guides etc...
I guess it is not recent, as it should have been the origin of the great religions(?)
I am convinced that the only uncorrupted path in the world is the path of undesigned emancipation, undesigned liberation, undesigned wisdom.
May you be free from fear, doubt and dependancy and emancipate from all corrupted manifestations. May all visible and invisible beings be peaceful.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 03:13:56 PM by Laurent »

Nicky

• Pali
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:38:54 AM »
Sometime during the meditation I felt a strange, although strong vibration in the base of my skull and then a weird sensation in my mind. I don't know how to describe it but it was enough for me to stop the meditation and walk away.

Hello Monica

Meditation can result in neurological adjustments & changes, which will not only expand the sphere of awareness (consciousness) but cause emotions stored within the body/nervous system to release. An adjustment at the base of the skull is also typical, i.e., they have occurred to me.

The hardcore path of meditation is to completely ignore these events and carry on without judgment, concern or attachment.

However, in your case, the impression is the energy of such an adjustment is affecting your mind adversely & you do not have the spiritual experience & confidence to deal with it & pass through it. Therefore, I would agree with the advice of Poojavassa. I would recommend you visit a Buddhist centre to meditate with other practitioners and to consult the teacher or monk/nun there (if they are appropriately skilled).

It sounds like your mind is quite sensitive to meditation therefore to have the support of a competent teacher seems necessary.

With metta  :)