Author Topic: What to look at  (Read 973 times)

purity

• Who are you?
    • mahasi
What to look at
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:10:09 AM »
I have been reading some about Goenka technique and for what I have read one is supposed to try and focus on the sensation occurring rather than imagining with the mind the actual area of the body.   
I find my mind to be very visual and although I can feel the sensation my minds simultaneously and  automatically visualises the area such as the nostrils.     
If I do not allow it to do this then it will just be visualising something else unrelated such as what I have to do later which is even more distracting.     If my mind must always have some image on display and there is very little I can do to stop it then Im not sure how to move forward with this practice. 
The teachings say dont imagine the area but they dont give an alternative apart from focusing on sensations but this disregards as I have mentioned that the mind will always be looking visually at something.

Meditative

• Who are you?
Re: What to look at
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 03:10:24 AM »
I tend to do the same thing you described. Like when I put my attention on sensations in my belly, I simultaneously get images of my belly in my head.  I think it's okay when images come up as long as they aren't your main focus.

TheJourney

• Who are you?
    • Goenka Vipassana, Anapana, and 4 foundations of mindfulness
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 03:28:36 AM »
Purity, Whatever is conducive to concentration can be a path. I went to the retreat back in October of last year. Though the technique resolved my psychosomatic issue of pain in sitting on the floor while I was there, the technique is not suited for me.

The fact that my mind has to be active in moving from spot to spot and my mind has to wait and decide if it is time to move on the technique is no longer passive for me. Even though I try not to anticipate any sensation, the mind will inherently, however subtle, anticipate for sensation when sensation is blind and wander if  the wait is long enough to move on. Even though I try not to imagine, the mind can be in the habit of doing so.

It is not a technique taught by Buddha but it still works for some people though not for me. So, if you feel it makes your mind active and is not conducive to concentration for you then do other technique.

Satipatthana Sutta basically says mental note what is prominent and not searching for sensation. If there is cold sensation in the head, then pay attention to the head. if it hand feels warm or itch then note that. Head might feel ache then go there. Go to where sensation is prominent instead of following a scanning order. If no sensation or scent or sound or touch then just note the rising and falling of abdomen.

purity

• Who are you?
    • mahasi
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 04:33:32 AM »
I tend to do the same thing you described. Like when I put my attention on sensations in my belly, I simultaneously get images of my belly in my head.  I think it's okay when images come up as long as they aren't your main focus.

Im thinking the same thing.   There doesn't seem to be any other alternative.

purity

• Who are you?
    • mahasi
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 04:34:13 AM »
Purity, Whatever is conducive to concentration can be a path.

I have been doing the mahasi insight technique as you have described for many years but I have decided to have a change and try goenka to see if it works better for me.  I have found that Mahasi technique has not been very successful for me in stilling the mind. 

The difference in the level of equanimity and awareness achieved through years of practice is so subtle its barely noticeable with me.  I feel I have put so much effort for very little result.   I know, I know, we're supposed to let go of wanting results and aren't suppose to have expectations etc but seriously if I am going to put so much effort into anything in life including meditation I need to see some kind of result or it just becomes a pointless exercise in will power and I will eventually quit.   So now I am starting at the very beginning with Goenka method.   

I understand it may not work for you but Im only just starting so I am going to give it a chance.   The mind naturally wanders "from spot to spot" for everyone, thats just how the mind is.  I think if I can get this technique down then perhaps my mind will be tamed a little more.

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 05:15:19 AM »
It's just a habit of the mind, you didn't choose to make it happen so you're not doing the practice incorrectly.

Just notice what the mind is doing but don't give importance to it, each time you notice yourself drawn to the image go back to the physical felt sensation.  doing that over and over again you'll slowly break the habit.

purity

• Who are you?
    • mahasi
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 12:03:28 AM »
It's just a habit of the mind, you didn't choose to make it happen so you're not doing the practice incorrectly.

Just notice what the mind is doing but don't give importance to it, each time you notice yourself drawn to the image go back to the physical felt sensation.  doing that over and over again you'll slowly break the habit.

What Im not clear about is if there is no sensation then what do I focus on?