Author Topic: Waking Up by Sam Harris  (Read 1419 times)

pwinston

• Vipassana
Waking Up by Sam Harris
« on: July 24, 2016, 07:16:58 PM »
I wrote a review/summary of the book: mod edit link removed due to affiliate links on your site. Please read the forum rules.

The first chapter of the book is online:
https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/chapter-one

I feel like the book was useless as a manual to meditation. It had maybe 2-3 pages about the mechanics and didn't discuss obstacles or issues one might encounter.

But I thought it made a very deep and persuasive case for why one might want to do meditation at all, and for why one might want to be spiritual at all in an age of science. Harris is very rational and draws upon experience in meditation as well as psychoactive drugs. Anyone else like this one?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:32:27 PM by Matthew »

Nicky

• Pali
Re: Waking Up by Sam Harris
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 11:46:19 AM »
Is this the book where Sam Harris states the nuclear genocide of all Islamic people is a possible option Western people must take because Sam superstitiously believes 'Muslims' did 9/11; the same Al Qaeda ('Muslims') who the US fund, arm & give medals to in Libya & Syria?

Maybe Sam should wake up....seriously!  :-\

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »
Scanning your review, Sam Harris makes some rather obvious mistakes: firstly incorrectly defining mindfulness and secondly writing off enlightenment as a final attainment (a common theme amongst older Westerners who have sadly failed to reach the goal and therefore need to find an egotistic justification for their lack of doing so).
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Buckingham

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness, Vipassana, Metta, and Zen
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 04:58:28 PM »
Scanning your review, Sam Harris makes some rather obvious mistakes: firstly incorrectly defining mindfulness and secondly writing off enlightenment as a final attainment (a common theme amongst older Westerners who have sadly failed to reach the goal and therefore need to find an egotistic justification for their lack of doing so).

I read his book just a couple days ago. It is cleverly written and does contain within it deep insights on the human mind and spiritual deformities that occur. Especially in the abrahamic religious traditions. He is an atheist ofcourse but his meditation practice is clearly taken seriously. He is obviously a rather skilled meditator aswell abd shows how religion and meditation arent dependent on eachother. I think any buddhist should read this at the very least for sake of challenge to their ideas. I found the book exceptionally thought provoking and i hope others will too.

Buckingham

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness, Vipassana, Metta, and Zen
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 06:20:31 PM »
Is this the book where Sam Harris states the nuclear genocide of all Islamic people is a possible option Western people must take because Sam superstitiously believes 'Muslims' did 9/11; the same Al Qaeda ('Muslims') who the US fund, arm & give medals to in Libya & Syria?

Maybe Sam should wake up....seriously!  :-\

This is ridiculous. 9/11 was an attack on our country by Islamists. Superstition has nothing to do with it. And to say that he calls for the nuclear genocide of Islam is a gross misrepresentation of his position on Islam. Wake up.

Turiya

• Who are you?
    • Theravada
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 10:23:53 PM »

firstly incorrectly defining mindfulness and secondly writing off enlightenment as a final attainment (a common theme amongst older Westerners who have sadly failed to reach the goal and therefore need to find an egotistic justification for their lack of doing so).

Matthew can you elaborate on this, what exactly do you mean here, could you provide an example.

3rdeyeopen

• Who are you?
    • Mindfulness
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »
I do enjoy Sam's podcast and I have been toying with the idea of reading this book, not sure now though.