Author Topic: Jed McKenna worth reading?  (Read 1188 times)

Jay-Eye

• I've done two of Goenka's 10 day retreats so far but my practice tends towards the erratic :-(

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Jed McKenna worth reading?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 10:56:41 PM »
I've read what you can read for free on Amazon just now. It is not enough to form a full opinion. The dog on the cover is cute. It seems you may need to read his trilogy before the Theory of Everything.

Hmmm ... read a few bits of the third book of the trilogy. It reminds me of a lot of books published in the late eighties and early nineties that were fundamentally fiction with some esoteric factoids in there for good measure. He has a deal with the universe to publish three books.

I think it more likely he had a deal with a publishing house :D

EDIT: This is interesting: http://www.spiritualteachers.org/jed_mckenna.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1y6d9Eiz58
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 11:49:02 PM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jay-Eye

• I've done two of Goenka's 10 day retreats so far but my practice tends towards the erratic :-(
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 09:00:41 AM »
Thanks, Matthew. It's entertaining and even thought provoking stuff and I'm sure there are truths contained therein but I don't like the idea of it being fictional and him not really being a real person! A bit like those irritating "One Minute Manager" books that were all the rage for sales managers back in the 80s. I think the path to enlightenment is elusive enough without taking guidance from an imaginary guru!  ???

There seems to be some suspicion that it's really Adyashanti writing in unfettered/uncensored style? I dunno.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:06:33 AM by Jay-Eye »

tbarron

• Who are you?
    • instructions from The Mind Illuminated
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 01:06:17 AM »
I read several of his books and found them entertaining, but light on the details of ways and means. In other words, I didn't find much actionable instruction there.

Tom