Author Topic: Meditating in the morning.  (Read 5509 times)

Flipasso

Meditating in the morning.
« on: October 10, 2007, 08:32:48 PM »
I want to start meditating in the morning, but I just can't.
When I try to do it I often notice that I'm just sleeping sitting down.
What techniques do you use to keep yourself awake and focused?

mettajoey

• If you follow the standard allowable path, you'll get standard allowable results
  • Share the love
Re: Meditating in the morning.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:40:33 PM »
Meditating in the morning is hard for me, too.  My mind feels too undisciplined and I can fall back to sleep.  I have found that taking a shower before meditating helps a lot.
The best type of meditation is the one that you'll do

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 08:48:41 PM »
Meditating in the morning is hard for me, too.  My mind feels too undisciplined and I can fall back to sleep.  I have found that taking a shower before meditating helps a lot.

Yep .. wake .. shower .. sit

Keep at it. You will soon gain great benefit from "sandwiching" your day between meditation sessions. Two weeks of that routine and you will be forming new positive patterns.

Little and often can be just as good as anything. A really useful trick is to use time on the bus or plane for meditation.

And if you work in an office - especially if it is a busy one - just stop everything once an hour and do 5 minutes of vipassana. The other 55 minutes will be much more productive than if you worked the whole hour. If you can't do it at your desk do it on the toilet. And no, I am not joking.

The only time I would recommend not meditating is when driving.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 08:52:42 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Juan

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 09:35:43 PM »
I also have a hard time meditating in the morning, my mind is hard to keep in focus, my body hurts and sometimes i just can't get up in time. But lately i've been discovering that physical yoga helps a lot, some asanas get the blood flowing through the body and doing them before meditation has proven very beneficial, specially in the mornings. And you don't have to spend an hour doing yoga and sweating, just a few stretches will do the trick.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 11:16:18 PM »
If you have a cat watch the way it wakes and rises. If not borrow one :D

They yawn, they stretch out their legs one by one, they stretch their whole body. They have a good old shake and limber up. Then they go about their business.

Cats do yoga in the morning and most cats minds are much less cluttered than ours - good tip Juan

Matthew :)
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Juan

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 11:47:27 PM »
 ;D jejeje, there is even an asana called upward looking dog

Fritz-the-Cat

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 02:37:29 AM »
Morning meditations were hard for me at first too.  I really enjoy waking early, before everyone else (even the cats) and having my quiet time.  I've done that for years.  When I started a morning sitting during this quiet time, I found myself litterally falling over as I was soon fast asleep!  I couldn't really shower or make too much noise because then I was sure to wake someone (hardwood floors are horrible for noise when you're trying to be quiet!) so that was out.  I then read somewhere, wish I could remember where, someone recommended meditating after that morning cup of coffee.  I found that was the ticket!

I usually wake in the morning, make a cup of coffee and sit outside on the deck, weather permitting, and listen to the crickets and owls while sipping my cup of java.  I love being outside and found that just 10 or 15 minutes of sitting outside in the morning was enough to bring me fully into consciousness without fear of becoming sleepy during my morning sitting. 

However there were times when even with the stimulation of the coffee and morning air that I still found myself tired.  So, I learned to watch for signs of sleepiness (tired eyes, heavy eyelids, foggy feelings, etc.) when I just couldn't wake fully up, I would put on a guided meditation through my headphones and sit.  Bodhipaska has some awesome guided metta meditations and his voice is soothing enough to meditate to but not so much that it puts me to sleep.  Even after all this time, I still find myself using the guided meditations at least 2 or 3 times a month. 

Blessings!
Fred

Paul

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 02:53:29 PM »
I just tried the 5 minutes of Vipassana for people who work in offices, great idea Matthew it did the world of good!

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »
I just tried the 5 minutes of Vipassana for people who work in offices, great idea Matthew it did the world of good!

At your desk or on the toilet?

:D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 03:39:07 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

Flipasso

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 07:28:15 PM »
Thanks for all your enlightening reply's.
I will definitely give a try to this schedulle:
-Wake up
-Shower
-Yoga
-Meditate
*the 2nd and the 3rd I will experiment on, to see which arrangement works best for me.
The shower should probably go after the whole wake up ritual, since I'll probably sweat a bit with the yoga's Sun Salutations.

I also thought about walking meditation since there isn't such a tendency to fall asleep, at least if you fell (spl? correct :)) asleep you would actually fall and then wake up again.

Thx
peace@you.all
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 06:19:34 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:20:21 AM »
There's another trick: drink enough water in the morning. Many physical problems from cancer down to being tired in the morning result from being thirsty! Some years ago I practiced a Hatha Yoga technique that requests to drink some water after every asana. Water is the magic potion in everyones life.
And another one: try to find your best time of waking. When I wake up about 6:30 a.m. I always feel smashed. When I wake at 8:00 or at 5:00, I feel fresh! But 6:30 ... no way. It's a biorhythmic thing, I think.

And what a good idea: office toilet meditation! Don't forget the alarm clock ...

Metta, Stefan
anicca

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 11:27:49 AM »
The only time I would recommend not meditating is when driving.

no good time for Vipassana, maybe ...  but the best opportunity for practicing Metta-meditation is definitely when driving your car through the rush hour of a big city ... and a little traffic jam every now and then is good for practicing equanimity ...
anicca

Paul

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »
Yesterday I went in and out of meditating while doing the family shopping in the supermarket, as recommended by TIB.  I suddenly realised why I so often have music in my head....its to escape the boredom.  I also noted that by REALLY being there and paying attention the experience was extremely rich, not at all boring as I'd thought before, and the 'head music' is a real separator.  I very tall guy gave me strange vibes as he walked passed, it felt like he was burning holes in the back of my head...maybe I looked at him for too long  :-[ and my shopping 'route' was synchronised with a lady; we must have come face to face at least 10 times in 45 minutes and she almost smiled at me at the cheese counter but then seemed to think better of it.  All in all an interesting shopping trip, I can recommend it  ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:21:03 AM by Paul »

Stefan

• love is the key
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 10:07:08 AM »
Yes it really is a great thing to meditate whenever it's possible, and especially in the supermarket ... hmmm, sounds like a new topic ... see you there ...
anicca

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 08:45:47 PM »
Yesterday I went in and out of meditating while doing the family shopping in the supermarket, as recommended by TIB.

Paul did I recommend that in a PM? because I can't find my original post :( I want to add it to Stefan's shopping meditation thread .. so if I did and you still have it in your inbox forward it back to me please :)

In the Dhamma,

Matthew