Author Topic: The Art of Living  (Read 1599 times)

Musicman28

• An instrument of Peace
    • Vipassana
The Art of Living
« on: June 12, 2016, 03:49:51 AM »
I'm sure many of you have read or are familiar with this Vipassana book.  As my practice is inconsistent these days, I am always on the look out for simple works of wisdom to be mindful of as I move through my day. I really appreciate this piece from the book:

“Any action that harms others, that disturbs their peace and harmony, is a sinful action, an unwholesome action. Any action that helps others, that contributes to their peace and harmony, is a pious action, a wholesome action."

I believe this applies to all thoughts, speech and actions. So being mindful throughout our day of where we are on the wholesome scale is great work.

Be well...and wholesome

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: The Art of Living
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 02:20:35 PM »
Practice is called practice for a reason: it is not "the real thing". So what is the real thing? It is what you describe: being mindful of all our thoughts, words and actions; the wholesome and unwholesome; from where they arise.

Taking practice off the cushion is essential to deep development of wholesome qualities in ourselves. Practice helps develop and hone those qualities.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mdr

• Write something about yourself here
    • Ji Goenka
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »

Taking practice off the cushion is essential to deep development of wholesome qualities in ourselves.

I wish i could do that... I sit and then i go back to the usual broadcasting.  :'(

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 03:14:11 PM »

Taking practice off the cushion is essential to deep development of wholesome qualities in ourselves.

I wish i could do that... I sit and then i go back to the usual broadcasting.  :'(

You'll learn .... I just replied to your questions about such things :)
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mdr

• Write something about yourself here
    • Ji Goenka
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »

You'll learn .... I just replied to your questions about such things :)

Thank you so much, Matthew!