Author Topic: Vipassana and affirmations  (Read 1854 times)

Varshha

• Who are you?
    • Vipassana
Vipassana and affirmations
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:12:31 PM »
I have come back from a 10 day Vipassana retreat and I am trying to practice it every day. After I am done scanning my body 1-2 times, I do annapanna to increase my focus. In these durations, I sometimes speak affirmations to have a good and successful life. Is this okay? Am I "mixing" techniques or should I do affirmations meditations after I am done with Vipassana meditation?

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Vipassana and affirmations
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:30:38 PM »
If you want to do affirmations don't do them at the same time as practicing vipassana, it's not what vipassana is about, do them at another time.

stillpointdancer

• stillpointdancer
  • Retired teacher, deepening understanding of Dharma
    • Insight meditation
    • Exploring the results of 30 years of meditating
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »
I personally think that vipassana need a programme that you follow, set up by yourself, or, preferably, some teacher who can do this for you. If you read a good translation of the Satipatthana Sutta you'll get an idea of what I mean. I found Analayo's book, 'Satipatthana The Direct Path to Realisation' to be pretty readable, and used it give structure to my own book.
“You do not need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Do not even listen, simply wait, be quiet, still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you to be unmasked, it has no choice, it will roll in ecstasy at your feet.” Franz Kafka

Laurent

• don't feed the troll
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 09:52:32 PM »
I have come back from a 10 day Vipassana retreat and I am trying to practice it every day. After I am done scanning my body 1-2 times, I do annapanna to increase my focus. In these durations, I sometimes speak affirmations to have a good and successful life. Is this okay? Am I "mixing" techniques or should I do affirmations meditations after I am done with Vipassana meditation?

Anapanasati is a type of samatha. Buddha said that there are no progress without the practice of anapanasati. It is the starting point in mahasatipatthana sutta and anapanasati sutta for references.
Metta and others are also types of samatha (one of the 40 samatha objects in theravadan tradition, including anapanasati).
For example, Metta becomes very powerful and has strong and durable effects when focus is great. It is the same thing for maranussati, asubha and other considerations recommended by Buddha. Very strong effects. you can check it yourself.
Due to anatta, when you have a strong focus, you can change your mind by practising good thinking and feelings etc ... You add some factors and you let some others disappear themselves by letting them go, thanks to anicca. Some factors lead to nibbana (kusala) and some are opposite to nibbana (akusala).
This is related to the four types of efforts (samma vayama, right effort) and the right resolve (samma sankhappa).
In a way, i find it similar to some NLP techniques.
This is also the reason meditation becomes easier and that we can develop huge metta and other kusalas, with time of practising, practising, and practising. It works itself. You just have to practice. The more you practice...it grows itself. Dhamma is so effective, perhaps it is its main quality.
I think you can go your way with this, just keeping in mind that your intention is to goal Nibbana. So if you want to be kind, stop smoking, wish yourself some good qualities and other things like that in order to reach Nibbana, i think it's cool.
At a point, like Goenka said: 'you become your own master'. You know what you need, what you lack, to increase your progression.
Goenka didn't teach everything, it is great to inspire from other good teachers and the best one, Buddha, of course.
There are practices for everything in buddhism, missing faith, missing kindness, or other problems that lead to release efforts.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 11:53:33 PM by Laurent »

VipassanaXYZ

• Write something about yourself here
    • Goenka
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:33:32 AM »
You already got some very good advice Varsha.

So glad to hear you are practicing at home.

Keep practicing :)

Here is Goenkaji's group sitting that you can play when you meditate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuRBrD0DDPY

You can also download one hour sitting from pariyatti.org

Regards
Pooja

chin

• Goenka
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »
Sorry, a bit off-topic from the main topic of the thread, but Pooja, regarding the 1-hour group instruction audio - do you recommend using it for regular sittings? I came across it earlier and found that it made it much easier for me to sit through a whole hour, but I'm wary of it becoming a crutch/hindrance to absolutely silent meditation. So I've been avoiding using it for the everyday sittings and used it once a week.