Author Topic: Teaching mindfulness  (Read 2728 times)

Libertynow

• Who are you?
    • Daily morning meditation
Teaching mindfulness
« on: March 07, 2016, 03:49:26 AM »
I've been meditating for many many years and practicing every day mindfulness to help with anxiety. And I feel like I want to teach mindfulness to other people in my community. A question I have is do you need any kind of background to teach mindfulness? If I'm understanding this correctly a person needs a background in psychiatry or social work.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 03:52:46 AM by Libertynow »

inwentor

• Who are you?
    • I focus on nothingness while meditation
Re: Teaching mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 04:26:16 AM »
First of all thank you for coming forward to help others!
Many people expect many different things from a master. I am from India, so I don't actually expect any kind of certification from a master to teach me because of the way I know teachers. I just want to know how long have you been practicing mindfulness? And can you explain what is mindfulness in your own way so that people will be interested in the view you have for mindfulness :)

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:04:18 AM »
I don't know how it works in MBSR but in Buddhist circles generally I'd expect your teacher to recognise your potential and take you under his/her wing and give you opportunities to help teach or lead over a period of time.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 11:31:19 AM »
You need no labels or qualifications to teach mindfulness. There are some you can attain such as MBSR (Mindfulness based Stress Reduction) and MCBT (Mindfulness-Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). I do not know the requirements for either.

As Goof says, in the Buddhist traditions one is normally authorised and lead into teaching by one's master/teacher when a certain point in practice is reached.

Whatever route you follow you will only be able to assist people with mindfulness to the limit of your own mindfulness practice.

Sometimes this desire arises as a way of avoiding deeper mindfulness oneself: that is something to be mindful of.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Libertynow

• Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 01:23:56 AM »
First of all thank you for coming forward to help others!
Many people expect many different things from a master. I am from India, so I don't actually expect any kind of certification from a master to teach me because of the way I know teachers. I just want to know how long have you been practicing mindfulness? And can you explain what is mindfulness in your own way so that people will be interested in the view you have for mindfulness :)

Thanks for your reply.

I've been doing meditation and mindfulness practice on and off since I was a young teenager. But this past 2 years I've been doing it 30 to 60 minutes every morning and throughout the day.

Mindfulness to me is essentially the breath of life to me. Mindfulness is simply being here now and in the present as many moments in a day as possible. I also view it as being childlike in awareness.

Libertynow

• Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 01:27:36 AM »
I don't know how it works in MBSR but in Buddhist circles generally I'd expect your teacher to recognise your potential and take you under his/her wing and give you opportunities to help teach or lead over a period of time.

Thanks for your reply.

That's what I would have thought, but being in a small city in Ontario, Canada where there is no mindfulness teachers I don't have that option. But at the same time when I research online for teachers they all look for people who are in the field of psychiatry or social work. I'm merely a service technician who wants to teach what I believe could help with mental health in this city.

Libertynow

• Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:29:27 AM »
You need no labels or qualifications to teach mindfulness. There are some you can attain such as MBSR (Mindfulness based Stress Reduction) and MCBT (Mindfulness-Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). I do not know the requirements for either.

As Goof says, in the Buddhist traditions one is normally authorised and lead into teaching by one's master/teacher when a certain point in practice is reached.

Whatever route you follow you will only be able to assist people with mindfulness to the limit of your own mindfulness practice.

Sometimes this desire arises as a way of avoiding deeper mindfulness oneself: that is something to be mindful of.

Very good points. I know I have a long way to go to master it enough to teach it, but I certainly would like to stay on the path to that goal. If there were retreats closer to home and had the opportunity to take time off work and family to do so I would love to.

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 02:43:35 AM »
That's what I would have thought, but being in a small city in Ontario, Canada where there is no mindfulness teachers I don't have that option. But at the same time when I research online for teachers they all look for people who are in the field of psychiatry or social work. I'm merely a service technician who wants to teach what I believe could help with mental health in this city.

Ajahn Viradhammo lives close to Ontario and I highly recommend him as a meditation teacher, see http://tisarana.ca/contact/

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 04:12:17 AM »

If you are looking at paid jobs, then yes, perhaps. Even though these qualified persons may be less able to assist than you - their interest is shallow, narrow and professionally-driven usually.

Nothing to stop you finding a church or civic building and offering sessions for free or donation, if the space costs dollar.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

mdr

• Ji Goenka
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 04:41:17 PM »

Nothing to stop you finding a church or civic building and offering sessions for free or donation, if the space costs dollar.

This.

I have a friend whose taking the same path, after being seriously involved with several meditation centers (same tradition , different countries) for decades. He is not a medical doctor either. Right now, he's doing some courses in Dublin, Ireland which presumably grant him the licence to teach mindfulness for stress reduction. The courses are paid (don't remember the exact sum) and i am not sure what's he's going to do with it later on, for now the plan is to start an NGO (?) Again, where we are, our legislation and everything else is probably very different. I hope he makes it, i know his intentions are good, but is it doable in the first place - i don't know. I wish i knew the motivation of the people granting these licences, is it to make this world a better place, without involving religion too much (and of course making a buck won't hurt), or it's primary some kind of diploma mill... I tend to believe the first option, as i would have hard time imagining a group of spiritual seekers running a diploma mill...  ???

Yes2life

• Meditation teacher
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »
I just want to know how long have you been practicing mindfulness?