Author Topic: ****What is this form of meditation?****  (Read 2624 times)

inwentor

• Who are you?
    • I focus on nothingness while meditation
****What is this form of meditation?****
« on: March 04, 2016, 11:22:17 PM »
HI Everyone  :) I have been practicing meditation for the last two years! I used brainev for a while and Lifeflow meditation for a while. Then one of my friends suggested me to do meditation without any external aid! So I started doing regular meditation.
I do some pranayama prior to my meditation. And while meditating, I try to focus on "Nothingness" whilst having a mild awareness. It is not that I try to focus on nothing but rather I fix my focus on Nothingness. As if it is an object of focus. That is why it is so difficult for me to explain! I wish to know what type of meditation it is, and which category it falls under (So that I can google if I want to know more). I never try to suppress my thoughts, but when I observe that a thought is going at the back of my mind, I will bring all my focus on "Nothingness" and that focus won't allow me to observe that thought further.
Right now the key elements I am developing while meditating is focus, awareness and stability of mind. And using these elements, I am getting deeper into the nothingness. I just wanted to know Your View on this. Am I doing it right? And what will be the next step of this practice? (in terms of experience and practice)

Cheers
Subu

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: ****What is this form of meditation?****
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 12:42:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum. How long do you meditate on each sitting on average? When you fix your attention on nothingness, are you aware of you body or breath? When your attention from nothingness is distracted, what is the first thing that come into attention? breath or body?

I get into the zone (focusing on nothingness) towards the end of my meditation that usually lasts between 40 min to an hour. Prior to that, I mainly focus on breathing.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 12:57:55 AM by Middleway »
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

inwentor

• Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 08:50:54 AM »
Thank you :)
I meditate for around half an hour a session on average!
On my nothingness, I am aware of my being only! Not on Body nor on breath! When after distraction, the first thing comes to my mind is the being again. I never focused on breath or body (Body- I think I never was focusing on it but I am not sure)! And I am so sure that I have never focused on breath! But lets not come to conclusion! As it can be completely something else that I am focusing on! Nothingness which I believe is "Being"!
But my question is, is it okay to have something like this abstract thing as my focus? And how should I proceed to get deeper?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
If you use the word "emptiness" rather than "nothingness" you may find you are speaking the same language as others on this path. Emptiness is not really abstract, it's quite concretely not there - as an experiential reality. The only difficulty might be if you have not developed concentration, equanimity and calm you may be fabricating the emptiness rather than being it.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 03:46:47 PM »
Thank you :)
I meditate for around half an hour a session on average!
On my nothingness, I am aware of my being only! Not on Body nor on breath! When after distraction, the first thing comes to my mind is the being again. I never focused on breath or body (Body- I think I never was focusing on it but I am not sure)! And I am so sure that I have never focused on breath! But lets not come to conclusion! As it can be completely something else that I am focusing on! Nothingness which I believe is "Being"!
But my question is, is it okay to have something like this abstract thing as my focus? And how should I proceed to get deeper?

The nothingness is not being. Being is a feeling of "I am". Some times, it is called "I am ness". It is good that you got past the body and sensations. When we are in wakeful state, one feeling always there is the feeling of "I am". Obviously, this feeling is not nothingness or emptiness. If you are able to use this feeling as object of meditation and that suits you, I suggest you continue to use it. I suggest you extend your sitting time to 1 hour which I find optimal.

I second what Matthew said regarding the need for developing concentration, equanimity and tranquility. They help your mind stabilize on the object of meditation well and help you progress on the path.

inwentor

• Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 06:32:12 PM »
Extending the time of meditation, sometimes I do it automatically for 45 mins to an hour, but on some other times, it feels boring and I stop it in 20 mins.
Also in order for my motivation, I wish to know how the next stages will experience like.
Is there a stage I reach where I can transcend the "physical sensation" (such as external disturbance), "mental effort to concentrate" (so I can meditate effortlessly) and "time" (so I can meditate for as long as I want).

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 08:59:14 PM »
When after distraction, the first thing comes to my mind is the being again.

When distracted, your mind comes back to the feeling of being. What are are you getting distracted from? Emptiness? It appears you are fabricating it as Matthew cautioned.

Extending the time of meditation, sometimes I do it automatically for 45 mins to an hour, but on some other times, it feels boring and I stop it in 20 mins.
Also in order for my motivation, I wish to know how the next stages will experience like.
Is there a stage I reach where I can transcend the "physical sensation" (such as external disturbance), "mental effort to concentrate" (so I can meditate effortlessly) and "time" (so I can meditate for as long as I want).

Practice and the path is for the long haul. If you first develop tranquility, concentration and equanimity, things will fall into place in due course.  I have been practicing for the last two years with no transcendence type experience and I am not eager to  have one either. It took me a while to lessen craving for "special" experience. I think that is my achievement. I am quite pleased with my progress to date.

Quardamon

• Teachers were: P.K.K. Mettavihari, Frits Koster, Nel Kliphuis. (In the line of Mahasi Sayadaw)
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 09:19:55 PM »
Hello Subu,

You ask What is this form of meditation? - and my answer is: I have no idea.

No.

It may sound silly, but nothing we do is done within a vacuum. There is always some basis idea, or hope, or social pressure, or whatever from which we do things.
It can happen that someone had an experience and tells later: "There was no time." But still, that was an experience in a certain setting. It is very unlikely that the setting was like: "Now I am going to experience no time at all. Go!"
Likewise, the experience of meditating effortlessly does exist, but it is part of a path. And that path is involves a lot of effort. And even: after a period of meditating effortlessly, there again comes a period of having trouble to meditate.
So, in my view, it is very wise that you ask yourself (and us) where you stand and what is the path.

I wish to know what type of meditation it is, and which category it falls under
I think that that is a valid and valuable question. And it is not an easy one.

Yesterday I laid ready the book "Spiritual Paths and Their Mediation Techniques" go give you a list. I did not find the time to do so. And still not, so I give only the names in the list, without the explanations.
The author claims that the possible paths to self-realisation include:
1. Mindfulness of the Buddha practice
2. Mindfulness of the Dharma (Teaching) practice
3. Mindfulness of the Sangha practice
4. Mindfulness of Discipline and Virtue as a road of practice
5. Mindfulness of Generosity practice
6. Mindfulness of Heaven (also known as Mindfulness of Deities) practice
7. Mindfulness of Breathing practice
8. Mindfulness of Peacefulness practice
9. Mindfulness of the Body practice
10. Mindfulness of Death practice.

I stop now. Will drink some hot chocolate, and go to sleep.

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 10:41:27 PM »
Perhaps I should explain why I am pleased with my progress to date. As I said, I started meditating two years ago. I was trapped in a cycle of chasing pleasures and aversion to pain. The practice definitely broke that cycle. I can say with conviction that I am more content than I was two years ago. I am more awake now than I was two years ago. I am in the present moment more often now than I used to. I do not worry about future as much as I used to. All these positive changes, I can directly attribute to my practice.

I suggest you read a little bit about the Buddhist practice and the path and apply it in daily life without too many expectations. Maybe you will see the benefits for yourself. One thing is for sure, the more you crave for "special" experiences, the more frustrated you will get as you try in vain.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:07:01 PM by Middleway »

inwentor

• Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 04:21:22 AM »
First of all, I would like to thank you all for your inputs in trying to help me out here.
I did a lot of observation while meditation, which is kind of irony as I tried to work my mind to know how the workless state of mind looks like. And after a bit of observation, I believe I know what I am focusing on (Yet I need your words on this). At first, I thought I was focusing on my vision (with my eyes closed), because many times when I focus so much, my eyelids try to open themselves. And also since it appears empty - dark, I thought I am focusing on nothingness. But at times I know I was focusing beyond vision. So I believe I am not focusing on vision. And so I meditated again to know what it is. Now the answer is even more refined!
Now, I believe I am focusing on "Steadiness of the mind", "equanimity", "Stillness of the mind" all of these together as a single unit. Now I didn't say I mastered it to perfection, but I am focusing on it. I don't know how I started doing it! But may be one thing leads to another and I got here, I guess. It is beyond physical sense and so it was hard and abstract (for a noob like me). Any views?

Also as explained by middleway, I realize that I shouldn't expect anything from the practice as that can distance me from what I am expecting. But my expectations are acting as the main motivation for me to practice meditation. It is funny that the meditation is helping me to be more in the presence and also the futuristic expectation is the one that drives me to meditate. ha ha :) again, views?

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 06:10:32 AM »
I think you should start by getting some instreuctions and following a technique as you seem to be making it up as you go, have a look at the resources here http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php?board=6.0 Mindfulness in Plain English is a good one.
Also this publication has some good tips on right attitude http://ashintejaniya.org/books-right-attitude

inwentor

• Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 06:29:58 AM »
Why do you think it is not possible to focus on the calmness of the mind?  ??? Why do you think I am fabricating?

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 11:42:40 AM »
Why do you think it is not possible to focus on the calmness of the mind?  ??? Why do you think I am fabricating?

Based on what you said in this post so far, you are practicing the classic Hindu way of meditation. Hindus sometimes visualize a symbol like "aum" or image of Shiva or Kali and use that image as meditation object. Visualization of image requires fabrication of the thought of the image constantly. You are visualizing the darkness (nothingness as you call it) and making it an object of meditation.

Buddhist technique most of us follow here is grounded in reality. Breathing and associated sensations which are real are used as meditation object. Or one observes the thoughts arising and passing away without interfering or fabricating them. One could also make the feelings as meditation object. The latter (thoughts and feelings) are more difficult for a beginner to use as meditation objects.

I suggest you read the instructions on the home page of this website and practice for a few days and take it from there.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:45:35 AM by Middleway »

Just A Simple Guy

• Bubba Hotep
    • Curiosity and Exploration
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »
Maybe it's a subtle difference, but I sometimes 'rest' in awareness. That is, there is no object of focus, but I don't think focusing on nothing is the same as focusing on nothingness...
“Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own.” ~ Bruce Lee

inwentor

• Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2016, 06:23:19 PM »
The main question now is, can I continue to have the same focal point?
Is it possible to change the focus object from whatever I am doing to "Breathing"? Because I have reached a certain depth using this abstract focal point that I am doing, and also I am seriously considering to change if I have to change the focus point.
My point is, if I am distracted, I know where to come back! But its getting little difficult to get deeper into that focal point, maybe because I am a newbie or the focal point is abstract.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »
If it's abstract, it's fabricated.

Start with the breath before you go deeper into a rabbit hole to nowhere. Instructions on the homepage. If you have questions, ask. It will take a month or so to transition and then you'll be starting again, yet on solid foundations.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

inwentor

• Who are you?
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 03:21:28 AM »
Alright Brother! Thank you to everyone for helping me! It was hard to start from the scratch again and that is why I asked so many questions to find a loop hole. :) I think the best option for me is to start from the scratch again using breath as the focal point.