Author Topic: Can i use Meditation to discipline my Child?  (Read 1872 times)

charlycharly

• Who are you?
    • self
Can i use Meditation to discipline my Child?
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
Am reading about how meditation is good for kids, making them to be more disciplined. I read useful tips here newbielink:http://www.yogapratice.com/kids-yoga/ [nonactive].
Please check and give your own advice if this is right.

Liongate

• Write something about yourself here
    • I am not affiliated. I just sit. I listen to podcasts by numerous teachers.
Re: Can i use Meditation to discipline my Child?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 02:11:28 AM »
In my opinion, there is no doubt that the practice is beneficial. Having said this, my experience is that you can't force somebody to adopt this path. You can lead by example, but if you tell the child he must do this he will A)resent you for it and B)not practice sincerely. I've suggested many times to my teenage daughter that she could benefit greatly from adopting a practice but have found that the harder I push the more she pushes back. I have decided to continue my own practice and demonstrate the benefits it has brought in my own life. You can lead a horse to water... you get the message.

Attachless

• Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 03:35:15 PM »
Just no. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" comes to mind. Give your child food, shelter and love, and be a living example - that is, if you want them the benefits of meditation or yoga or discipline, then be disciplined, benefit from meditation, benefit from yoga; want to educate them to be honest, caring and loving, then be honest, caring and loving yourself. Don`t force your ways on your child.

Also there is discipline from with-out (sit, be quiet, listen) that is blind and accepting and so on and so forth; and there is discipline from with-in, that is, one thinks through something, comes to the conclusions someone wants something, sees what needs to be done and applies the necessary discipline. You can`t force that on somone. Also, meditation doesn`t make you more disciplined as e.g. applying a healthy diet or doing a workout 3-4 times a week. Why does it make you more disciplined? Because discipline has to be applied to do it - be it meditation, healthy diet or workout or anything else. To even get started needs discipline; discipline is not a result you get -after- getting into meditation or good shape or healthy body, it is needed right at the start.

Think about the difference of your child doing his homework because he wants to do it (from within) and forcing it upon the child, him revoltingly doing it. It`s the same homework! Will he learn and benefit from that same homework from both ways of discipline (within and without)? The answer is the answer to any question you have regarding "getting your kid to do something". Only get your kid to do something if it`s needed for their survival (you don`t want them to end up on the street obviously).

In worst case, you`ll end up ruining the idea of meditation for your child forever. It`s like, my mother always told me I shall not become like my dad and take drugs; what did I do? I go and do them all, although I "knew" it was "bad". The same way, your child may never do it, although she "knows" it is "good" for her. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions", back to that. You don`t want to force your way on your child, ever, even if it´s "the best" or even just "a good" one. Your way is never good for someone else but for yourself :-P
to be or not to be - one hardly notices the subtlety

Yes2life

• Meditation teacher
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:41:16 AM »
In my opinion, there is no doubt that the practice is beneficial.

rogp99

• Theravada
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »
Thanks Attachless. Some guys even use meditation as a punishment in my place.

We have a saying that 7 years old is the youngest age that can understand meditation and stuff. What we can do is making a good example and showing them the benefits.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 11:30:32 AM by rogp99 »

briankelly65

• Who are you?
    • no
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
Am reading about how meditation is good for kids, making them to be more disciplined. I read useful tips here newbielink:http://www.yogapratice.com/kids-yoga/ [nonactive].
Please check and give your own advice if this is right.
Meditation and yoga are good for both adults and kids. Meditations will help kids to face the challenges with strong determination. It will also help them to maintain mental stability and peace. A person who is practicing meditation can easily increase their mental strength and memory retention. Here is a blog which explains how meditation benefits our mental health ( newbielink:http://www.cbtassociates.com/blog/meditation/how-can-meditation-benefit-your-mental-health/ [nonactive] ). This will help you to get to know more about meditation. In my opinion, meditation for kids is a good idea,  it will increase their self-esteem and it will also increase the relationship between parent and child but we should give them proper guidance. There are a lot of articles and videos which explain how to get kids to meditate, just go through them.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:15:11 AM by briankelly65 »

smritiyoga

• Smriti Yoga
    • smritiyoga
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:32:35 PM »
Yes surely you can. instead of other discipline meditation is very good to teach.

mdr

• Ji Goenka
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:29:59 PM »
Just no.

+1

There's no coercion in spirituality  :)