Author Topic: Turning the attention toward awareness  (Read 4232 times)

Liongate

• Write something about yourself here
    • I am not affiliated. I just sit. I listen to podcasts by numerous teachers.
Turning the attention toward awareness
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:07:55 PM »
I meditate for an hour each morning, and I find that it usually takes about 20 minutes for my mind to settle. I meditate with music through my earbuds to mask out other noises in the house, and find this useful in reducing external distractions. After my mind settles, much of the meditation consists of following the breath or focusing on rhythms in the music. This has proved interesting, as there are often subtle rhythms that one becomes aware of that aren't immediately discerned during casual listening. At some point during the second half of the session I try to focus on finding the self - the "I am" as it is often called. Rupert Spira has referred  to this as the doorway to the infinite. I can see thoughts as distinct from self, the body as distinct, the mind as nothing more than thought, etc., but cannot find the "I am" other than a sensation of being present which seems more a sensation related to tension from bearing down, which probably means I am trying too hard. How does one "look" within?

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Turning the attention toward awareness
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:08:49 PM »
It doesn't help to look within at a disco :) seriously, try and lose the music: it's a distraction and leads to fabrications and self hypnosis.

You are also seemingly mediating from an intellectualised position, so more focus on getting to actually know by watching and listening to your body then mind would help. To this end you are starting by trying to just "see what is there" ... not coming running in with a mantra of "finding the self" or whatnot ... Look long enough for a pink elephant and you'll surely see one. Look long enough at what is and you'll surely wake up to reality.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:44:29 AM »
Look long enough for a pink elephant and you'll surely see one
I read that, and now all I can think of are pink elephants :D
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 11:41:26 AM »
Moderator note: The remainder of this thread has been separated into another thread, as the discussion has swayed from what the OP has originally intended in his post.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?