Author Topic: Sentences that I help  (Read 2154 times)

Nicolase

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Sentences that I help
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:18:07 AM »
Hello everybody,

Is it ok to talk to ourself during meditation ? There are some sentences that I repeat myself that helps me. Like when I’m tensed and I can’t stop thinking about whether I’m doing good or not I’m telling myself “let it go”. I could also remember things that I read like “don’t try to go anywhere”. It can happen very often as soon as I remember a thing that I read that could help me. When I tell myself theses sentences my muscles directly relax.

Even if these sentences helps me a lot I wonder if it’s good, because if I do that it’s because I’m trying to be somewhere, I try to be relaxed whereas I should accept the moment at is…

I think I should try to meditate with a teacher because I’m asking myself to many questions…

Thank you.

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Sentences that I help
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
The problem with such conscious verbalization is that it soon becomes a habit. Eventually, the sentences become the focus of the meditative practice instead of unconditionally being with whatever is arising in the here and now. It's a matter of choice. If verbalization helps, maybe use it for a while and then discard it per your own discretion.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 06:50:10 PM »
Some techniques use labelling to help beginners establish direct awareness, this isn't much different.

I think it can be helpful as long as you are observing the changing phenomena objectively rather than developing a story about you and what's happening to you.  Use  it long as you need to as lonmg as it works and you don't get attached to it.

You may find you'll be able to do these adjustments to your meditation just knowing it needs to happen, without the words.

Finding a teacher would be a good thing to do.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 09:33:57 PM »
It can be helpful in the very early stages of practice to use certain verbalisations: however, they are all forms of thinking and at this stage meditation needs to be about feeling.

Saying "thinking" when you notice you have started thinking, then returning to sensations in the body caused by breathing is beneficial for some beginners. It is best dropped as soon as possible because, as Vivek says, it risks becoming another habit - and meditation is about undoing habit, not creating it.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Nicolase

• Vipassana
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:11:24 PM »
Thank you all for  you answers.

I took time to answer to you because I was quite lost after your answers.

I tried to do what you wrote I completely stopped to say the kind of sentences I was telling in my first message. Now I am more patient and I accept more what disturbs me. It seems to be better.

I wanted to have another point of view so today I talked to an occidental monk who was teaching meditation. She said I was meditating too much (she looked at me as I if was crazy, I really felt bad after that...).
According to her, too much meditation only around breath can cause problem. For her it should not be more than 15 or 20 minutes after we have to meditate about something else.

I am very surprised as I told her I was meditating 1h30 everday at the moment. To me it doesn't sound so crazy (50 min after I woke up and 20 min in the morning and in the evening in the train) but I'm gonna try to slow down...

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »
According to her, too much meditation only around breath can cause problem. For her it should not be more than 15 or 20 minutes after we have to meditate about something else.
I strongly disagree with the above, Nicolase. I know many teachers who practice only Anapana for years and they seem to progress well on the path. In fact, if you go to Sri Lanka, Anapana is the core technique they use for meditation. Goenkaji's great grand teacher, Saya Thetgyi, practiced only Anpana for 7 years before he started with proper Vipassana. If you are doing the practice correctly, then there should be no worries. The instructions given at the home page on this website is a great place to start.

Nicolase

• Vipassana
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:59:11 AM »
I strongly disagree with the above, Nicolase. I know many teachers who practice only Anapana for years and they seem to progress well on the path. In fact, if you go to Sri Lanka, Anapana is the core technique they use for meditation. Goenkaji's great grand teacher, Saya Thetgyi, practiced only Anpana for 7 years before he started with proper Vipassana. If you are doing the practice correctly, then there should be no worries. The instructions given at the home page on this website is a great place to start.

Thank you Vivek, it reassures me, that's what I was thinking... With hindsight, she was very scarring in his voice like if I was doing really something bad... I don't think I will go again in this course. I will try to find another center.

Vivek

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 09:20:01 AM »
You're welcome, and I wish you all the best.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 02:00:42 PM »
Nicolase,

I have done 30 day retreats of 14 hours a day focussing on breath. These were the most liberating experiences of my life. The Buddha's main meditation Sutta is "Mindfulness of breathing" and explores the entire meditative path. There is a point where breath becomes less important yet not before it has been used to establish yourself strongly in concentrated meditative awareness.

The person you met may come from a school that has a particular attitude to these things. There are many things called "Buddhism" - and when you explore the teachings of the Buddha you quickly discover that most of them break some of his most fundamental rules. A good 90%+ of "Buddhism" breaks these rules - and, strictly speaking, is not what it calls itself.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~