Author Topic: Emotions while meditating?  (Read 1241 times)

Brainbug

Emotions while meditating?
« on: November 26, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »
Hello all,

So I've been meditating almost 2 months (a real milestone for me ;) ).
During this period, I've learned a lot about meditation and the path.
I've also spend a lot of time reading up on things, to grasp and better understand concepts.

During these meditation sessions, I feel a lot of itching, pinching, agitating mind and legs.
There are also thoughts, but bringing my mind back to the sensations, really slowed my daily thinking down.

One thing I don't seem to find during my sittings are (profound) emotions; sadness, hapiness, anger,...
The only onces I encounter from time to time are boredom, agitated, restless and annoyance.
So for now, I am just aware of those if they arise.

However I find it odd that for 2 months I feel rather indifferent during my sittings.

Is this normal, or am I just not yet aware of those feelings on a subtle level?
I also don't seem to see where those emtions arise from (boredom, agitation,...), they are just there all the sudden and gone a few (long) moments later.

Any advice?

Warm greetings,

B.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:33:19 AM by Brainbug »

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Emotions while meditating?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 07:56:18 AM »
Boredom, agitated, restless and annoyance will arise as a result of what's happening in the present moment, the mind simply has aversion to what is currently happening so wants something else, it's normal.

If emotions like sadness, happiness, or anger arise during meditation it's more likely as a result of thoughts about the past or thoughts about the future, because not much happiness in the meditation itself to trigger these.

So I'd say you are in the present moment, you're doing it right!

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 09:06:41 AM »
It does not matter what does or does not arise during the sitting. What matters is you are aware of whatever arises. Being present is more than sufficient.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Brainbug

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:38:56 AM »
Ah yes, that makes sense, Thanks!

If an emotion like boredom arises, I notice this, but only after a few seconds.
So I don't (at this point) see where the sensation arises from. It's just there.

Is this something that can be felt physically/mentally (source of the sensations)?
Maybe with more practice, I will come to know...?

Another thing, I had an angry call some time ago, what at that time gave me some stress.
At that point, I only saw this after the call took place. So I couldn't catch myself getting stressed out during this phone call.

Later that day during my meditation, the thought of the call popped back in my head. But now I just felt indifferent or maybe a bit annoyed is this to be expected?
As I thought I would be angry or stressed-out again, but this did not happen... I returned back to the sensations of that moment (physically itching) and continued.

The call pop's into my head over the last days, but without any significant feelings attached, maybe a bit annoyed...
It's one of those thoughts that creeps up on me... Can't seem to lose it for the moment, but it will fade eventually, as most things do.
However it feels more like some sort of emotionless video that keeps repeating in my head to a point where it again becomes annoying...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:05:22 AM by Brainbug »

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »
Is this something that can be felt physically/mentally (source of the sensations)?
The actual sensations of boredom may not be that readily apparent and takes practice. You can however, be aware of whatever you can when you are in the state of boredom, such as the quality of your thoughts, the rhythm of the breath, the body posture etc.

But now I just felt indifferent or maybe a bit annoyed is this to be expected?
As I thought I would be angry or stressed-out again, but this did not happen..
Just as we cannot predict what thoughts would pop in our heads, it is extremely difficult to predict or control our emotional states. From the perspective of your meditative practice, it serves no use. Being mindful is the foundation. If something is here and now, it is. Or else, it is not, that's all.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?