Author Topic: After one year of meditation. Feeling empty inside  (Read 4236 times)

vikingbuddha

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
After one year of meditation. Feeling empty inside
« on: November 16, 2015, 07:32:08 PM »
I realised that after a year of meditation that I feel and behave diffrently in life. I used to do alot of things that gave me joy, basically cravings. Making bargains, having lots of friends, being succesful at work etc.
And now none of these things matter so much anymore.
And I just feel empty inside and I dont find the same enjoyment in life.
Am I doing something wrong?
Or is this the part of growing as an individual and becoming an more egoless person?
Because this emptyness scares me actually!

Would appreciate some advice:)

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: After one year of meditation. Feeling empty inside
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:49:52 AM »
I think most people on here can probably relate to your position. Unfortunately this goes part and parcel with spiritual growth (for want of a better word). Unfortunately as you kill off part of yourself, so too will many of your previous desires lose their appeal.

What you want to be doing is filling the void, for me the fruits of practice are sweeter than any of my more trivial outlets like using the internet or watching a movie. If I manage to truly switch off my ruminating mind, with all its wants and dislikes, what's left is really beautiful. Just yesterday I sat in a chair in the yard, and it was amazing once I put myself to the side just how much life was around me, lots of birds, bees, insects, the trees, more fascinating than any movie.

So switch off and enjoy.

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:14:01 AM »
Or is this the part of growing as an individual and becoming an more egoless person?
Hi VB, yes I feel this is more accurate even though there is no way for an outsider to truly know where you are in your practice. Many practitioners usually do go through such phases, some more than once. But just like everything else, this phase is also bound to pass away.

Because this emptyness scares me actually!
That is quite natural since this is a novel experience for you and you least expected it to come out of you meditative practice. It also helps to consult a good meditation teacher if any are  accessible to you.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

bomega

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »
As many have said, I also had this problem. I went through a period last year where I had that emptiness. I had read somewhere that metta meditation is the usual prescription for this problem. The idea is to fill that void with lovingkindness (maitri). I came across Pema Chodron's book The Wisdom of No Escape and she teaches to especially be sure to apply maitri it to yourself, and gives a lot of instruction around it (and also other ideas.) If you can get your hands on a copy, I would highly recommend it. (P.S. I would also recommend spending a little extra coin for that Shambhala Library edition I linked. It just fits nicely in your hand and is especially easy to read while lying in bed.)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 03:48:40 PM »
Hi vikingbuddha,

Fear is an obstacle that will naturally arise. "Nature abhors a vacuum": so when you start to make space for the emptiness inside to just "be" the ego will fill it with many distractions such as fear. You'll get beyond it to a place that feels more like DT describes above ... just have to learn to ride that bike .. of being empty and being filled with everything except "you".

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~