Author Topic: Should I quit my job?  (Read 3063 times)

Love_Meditation

• Write something about yourself here
    • Don't know yet
    • Lots of worries, Anger
Should I quit my job?
« on: October 11, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »
Since I took a new short term, Contract job, I am unable to focus during meditation.  All the thoughts from the work place keep bothering me while meditating. The work place has a micro managed culture with lots of stress and frequent travel as well. Travel destroys the routine and health as I eat outside.I don't see myself happily working given this environment. I am thinking of quitting and taking up some low paying/non traveling job that will reduce stress. Money is not an issue at this point of my life..I can afford to wait for another 6 months for a new opportunity. My friend says don't quit, as most places are likely to be the same as this is the routine my profession (Consulting)

Did any of you survived this type of situation and how did you manage?

Thanks for your help

Middleway

• Staff
  • Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
Re: Should I quit my job?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
Most of us I think are in the same boat if not all. Do what feels right for you and there are no right or wrong decisions. You asked a similar question in 2013 and if you seem to have similar job with high stress, may be it is time to try something new and see what the future holds.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:15:27 PM by Middleway »
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

flying solo

• Buddhism, Non-dual
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 02:40:39 AM »
You've given many reasons why this job is not a good fit for you right now. You've even said money is not a problem. So, what is the problem? What's making this decision so difficult?  Maybe you should ask yourself why it would help if a total stranger in a forum was to reply, "Hell yeah. Quit before the sun goes down!"

Maybe identifying any underlying fears will allow you to question whether they're actually valid.  Doing a visualisation whereby you imagine in detail having made the decision, e.g.  telling the family, finding a new job/taking time off and whatever other impact the decision may have is a good exercise to identify what might be holding you back.  You'll feel it as an unpleasant feeling somewhere in the body.

Love_Meditation

• Don't know yet
    • Lots of worries, Anger
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 03:33:26 AM »
First, Thank you for the responses.  The underlying fear is that  gaps in my work experience may make it harder to get next job.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 04:16:13 AM by Love_Meditation »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 06:33:23 AM »
Sometimes you can smell shit everywhere, and it's on your boot. I used to think my work was specifically troubling, but that came with me to every job I had, from hotel doorman to customer service rep to general manager to CFO. Turns out modern life, with its insane amount of personal responsibility, multi tasking, etc sucks. If you can learn to split that off and just get over yourself, you can find some personal space that is worth living for.

Everything else is just window dressing.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
First, Thank you for the responses.  The underlying fear is that  gaps in my work experience may make it harder to get next job.

Use the gaps wisely and they will only add to your employability.

When I dropped out of university, I went from being a stockbroker .. to an investment banker working in international mergers and acquisitions .. to travelling in Asia .. to showing people to their camping spots on a site in France .. to washing dishes in a restaurant at the top of the French Alps .. to selling advertising space in trade publications .. to being a publisher for a financial industry publisher .. to picking avocados on a Kibbutz .. to being a waiter, wine waiter and then chef .. to being Director of sponsorship in an international conference business .. to being self employed selling advertising space .. to running the office of a meditation centre .. to being a cook in Amsterdam in a private house .. to selling Kimono's in Kensington ... I think you get the picture :)

The truth is that "jobs for life" are a thing of the past. We will all be constantly retraining, unless employed in a menial task .. robots and artificial semi-intelligence will make much of what we do now redundant over the coming years.

Getting some experience "outside the field" and "outside the office" is no bad thing. Being stressed the whole damn time is ... yet equally that may be a choice you are making in your current environment - only you know the answers to your life's questions.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

gasteria

• Vipassana
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 02:07:15 AM »
Wherever you go, there you are. I think that no matter where we go and what we do we still have ourselves with our problems. There is no escape.  I don't suggest to stay on the job that you don't like or cannot handle emotionally. But you might replicate same stressful responses even being in totally isolated monastery.

I have full time job and I know that I allow myself to be stressed because of my personality. I learned not to blame environment for my problems. I have tons fears that are triggered regardless what I do. I don't even enjoy vacation too much because I worry too much just about anything. My life situation is really good. I have nice work environment, I don't have financial problems, my relationship with my husband is good. But, I can still generate fears from just about anything. One of my fears is what would I do if I did not have such favorable life circumstances. I can drive myself crazy. It is all in my brain.

I do my best to look at my stressful responses to the situations to learn something from it otherwise I would be miserable for the rest of my life.

You can look at your situation and ask yourself whether this is you or something external and whether you have control over this or not. You will probably figure it out. From my experience it is not easy to make a judgment, though. Just do your best and don't blame yourself for your mistakes. You will be OK.

Alex

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 06:40:54 PM »
Hi Love_Meditation

I hope you are well.

Should I quit my job?

In a way your question matters, as we need to give direction to our life. We set goals, we try to achieve them. We get feedback, we evaluate. We imagine, make  choices, etc. What you write is very recognizable. When one embarks on such a journey, one is bound to run into the limits of past choices. We for example gain insight into which environments, forms of livelihood or lifestyle choices are conducive of “mindful living” and health and which are not. But whether you decide to quit or not, to give a new direction to your professional career or not, these are individual choices. Finding the courage and wisdom to look at what’s important and acting accordingly is all part of the process.

And yet, in another way, it doesn’t matter whether you quit your job or not. What we try to develop in meditation is not about changing the external world. On the cushion you don't look for 'a way out'. This only feeds this insatiable craving to get somewhere where finally and magically everything will feel good. Instead, being mindful, we learn to open up to what is here and how to skillfully respond to it. In this respect there are two kinds of silence. There is silence that excludes (“This feeling/thought/whatever is bothering me while I’m trying to achieve a state of silence/concentration/absorption. How can I solve this?”) or a silence that includes (and welcomes any experience/thought/feeling without distinction). In the second sense meditation can’t be disturbed.

So, finding yourself in a professional situation in which travel is necessary, you can try to explore all what this does to you. Eating healthy is difficult. A different routine causes stress. What are your reactions to these unconducive circumstances? Is there something to practice, even though there is no cushion?

Did any of you survived this type of situation and how did you manage?

I remember very dark months/years not so long ago, trying to figure out how to establish a personal life that supports this practice. How to redirect my professional career from a business environment to public health sector? I decided to work part-time in order to go back to school. In retrospect the best advice that could have helped me was: open up to what’s here and relax. Really, relax. Because the only thing that could have ever been different back then was the distress. All the rest is life happening, perfect as it is with its imperfections.

But I don’t know if such advice can ever really help. Experience comes from … yes: experiencing.  ;)

Love_Meditation

• Don't know yet
    • Lots of worries, Anger
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 04:00:55 AM »
Very motivational to read your responses. Thank you all. I am going to spend my time very usefully.
gasteria: You just described how I am. Exactly in the same situation as you are
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:38:17 AM by Love_Meditation »

OOBE717

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 03:34:33 AM »
I am currently in that situation right now but do not have the financial luxury to stop right this instant. If I could I would. Some lifestyles are intrinsically not healthy and will shorten your life. Think of this... If money was no issue would you still be doing what you're doing? Live in moment

Love_Meditation

• Don't know yet
    • Lots of worries, Anger
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 04:20:36 AM »
OOBE: I quit my job. Much better now. May be you could look for a similar job, but with less stress environment