Author Topic: Reincarnation  (Read 3106 times)

Hazmatac

Reincarnation
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:00:10 AM »
I don't know if it exists. Sometimes I see a person and it seems like I have known them for a long time even though we just met. Supposedly there are Chakras that get you in touch with your Karma and passed lives but I'm no expert on that. So, what are your thoughts? Do you think reincarnation happens or is it a lie? Remember the buddha said to see for yourself rather than take his words on blind faith. Does anybody have any experience with this? Thank you.

Robert

Jack

Re: Reincarnation
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »
I don't know either.  If many religions believe in some kind of afterlife, then maybe it isn't too much of a reach to believe in Samsara.  It is, for me, somewhat comforting to think that I have more than this life to "get it right".  Also, the cause and effect of Karma makes perfect sense to me.

Once one accepts a cycle of rebirth, then one may also accept the many different realms of Buddhism; God, Hungry Ghost, Human, Animal and Hell realms, for example.  But, that takes a bit more faith as it goes beyond many mainstream religions.

Jack

Samsara Addict

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:28:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. Just joined today. Writing from Newcastle, England.

At this point in my practice I've not had an experience that would lead me to believe in Reincarnation. I have met one monk, whom I respect and trust, who said that during a sitting he experienced himself as a former self in a past life. I asked him how he knew his mind was not simply playing tricks on him. He couldn't rule that out. I have also asked the following question to several teachers but I've not yet heard a satisfactory answer: If in Buddhism there is no soul then what is it that is reincarnated? I would be grateful to hear anyones thoughts on this.

With metta

Samsara Addict

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • Buddhism is a practical psychology and philosophy, not a religion.
    • If you cling to view, you must know this limits your potential.
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »
I'm agnostic. I know that I do not know.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew

ps Welcome to the forums Samsara Addict.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:32:33 PM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

pamojjam

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 07:58:38 PM »
Hi Robert and All,

1) I quite comfortably use 're-becoming' as the most plausible working hypothesis for life - of which precise ways I'm not sure about at all - and on the other hand:

2) the buddhist reflections of the 100% certainty of my personal death - which is also termed a divine messenger - when it comes to placing my day to day living in a true perspective.

How I reconcile these - apparently contrary, though both buddhist to their bones - reflections?

1) Everywhere I look in natural life, death becomes the fertilizer for a new beginning and life just proceeds in cycles as it always did. Never did I experienced ever something coming out of nowhere and next disappearing as it never had been.
Every cause is begging an effect, which again co-conditions further effects on so many levels. I simply can't imagine humans - and in particularly constantly arising and passing consciousness - being beyond this all-encompassing natural law. (though today most would come to te opposite conclusion by leaving the full picture out: live begins with birth and will forever end at death?!?)

2) My personality as it is now, definitely and without doubt will perish. After 41 years calculated in earthen years which I can look back at and almost have the same number of years in memories of: I only see patterns evolving, some less, some more. But those patterns don't equal what I first called personality at all, which is entirely dependent of my physical constitution, social environment, mental mindsets and ambitions and much more all depending on each other for determining changing patterns - which I only recognize in retrospect and which therefore aren't equal to what I see, feel, touch, think, cognize etc. on a daily basis.
In short, what constitutes my personality changes as many times as all the co-dependent factors involved, from experience to experience.
From a human outlook the most predetermining factor involved is certainly the human body (you would still recognize me even if I lost my mind, but having lost my body?) - and without it at my death I'll be mealable as if in dreams, could become anything - but never the person I was just before - or how I was in the middle of my live - or as a teenager - anytime.

Anyone telling that 'you' are 'reborn' could be hardly pressed to reconcile this 'you' with anything truely 'yours' in real live terms.
'You' - in the buddhist sense - is synonymous with a 'me', for example implying that what 'you' are in this live could be 'me' the next round around - with no borders in status, sex, and even heavenly or hellish realms (which I don't have difficulty imaging, since even in our world there are already some who can enjoy anything anytime in justa-position to most humans who live under truly hellish conditions)

Only patterns never stop to evolve and recycle - only seemingly - a 'you' and 'me' and 'we' and 'them' in this endless cycle of re-becoming without anything ever becoming truly me or mine. Pleasurable deeds begging temporary pleasure, unleasureable deed begging temporary displeasure. In it's eternal sence no me, no you, no soul.

I can't reconcile this view of re-becoming with the popular view of rebirth or the prevalent view there wouldn't be any serious consequences of deeds done in this live to the next. And would like to suggest this alternative.

in Dhamma..