Author Topic: Confusion about Meditation Methods  (Read 1758 times)

franzpeter

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada
Confusion about Meditation Methods
« on: November 11, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
Hello, I'm confused because there are so many meditation methods available, e.g.

samatha meditation or

vipassana meditation based on
GOENKA or
Mahasi Syadaw

How do I know which method is the best for me and why are there so many methods out there ?

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Confusion about Meditation Methods
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:20:45 PM »
It's like anything, there are always slightly different ways of achieving the same thing.  This indicates that it's not the method itself that is important it's the affect that the method has on the mind that is important, and this depends on giving it a go and the attitude with which you give it a go.

So if I were you I'd give any or all of the methods you've listed a decent go depending on what is available to you, a decent go means a retreat of at least a weeks duration.  Try to work with a technique for long enough to understand how it works before setting it aside and trying something else.

It's no different from say fitness, or weight-loss, whatever regime you try it doesn't matter as long as it's contributing to what you are trying to achieve and you make a decent go of it.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Confusion about Meditation Methods
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:11:45 PM »
Hi franzpeter,

Good questions. There are many methods because the Buddha's teachings were not written down until after he died and soon after they were differences of opinion emerged. That's actually quite ironic as early Buddhism is all about observable fact so it seems the teachings started getting lost quite soon.

Buddhism then traveled to many other countries and cultures from its birthplace in India and, as it traveled, it picked up new commentaries, interpretations and often merged with existing belief systems on the way. So much of what is called Buddhism would not be supported by the Buddha.

I would suggest you start with Shamatha or "calm abiding": development of a calm/relaxed and focused/concentrated mind. I make this suggestion as it is the practice most suited to dealing with an agitated mind - and from your post it seems your mind is agitated even in the search for peace. Don't worry, it's the way of the modern world: you're not alone.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~