Author Topic: Vitamin D deficiency and IBS  (Read 2525 times)

Brainbug

Vitamin D deficiency and IBS
« on: October 24, 2015, 09:08:53 AM »
Hello everyone,

When I was introducing myself, Matthew made a point that I may have a vitamin D deficiency.
I think Matthew is maybe onto something (a bit funny that my doctor never mentioned it).

I did some blood work not to long ago in the summer (it is autumn now. Living in Europe).
However I did not ask nor did they mention something about vitamin D levels. So I will call back to see if this was tested.

Anyway I found some pilot study's about a correlation between vitamin D and ibs. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4412886/.
When searching somewhat more on the internet, some points are valid others are not.

* I'm not dark skinned (very pale in fact);
* I don't have bone or muscle weakness;
* I'm not older then 50;
* I do however have low immunity and don't see much sunlight.

As I work daily in an Office, do an hour drive to work, do a little sport inside at evenings, I don't get to see a lot of sun.
In the summer period I don't go out often as I am highly allergic (I try especially when it has rained before). 

I found a lot of entries (on this site) about why it would be beneficial to have some additional vit. D
http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,575.msg4585.html#msg4585
http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,1597.msg22483.html#msg22483
http://www.vipassanaforum.net/forum/index.php/topic,259.msg5967.html#msg5967

However the recommended amount is a bit of mystery to me. I guess it depends on the severity of the condition and how much you got from your environment.
Some recommend  200UI, 400UI, 600UI, 1000UI,  2000UI /day with an upper limit from 4000IU to 40.000IU/day (as toxic)
A couple of links with information on that:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19225122
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

So for now I will wait until I get hold of my doctor to retrieve my results for vitamin D.
And will see from there. 

Kind and warm greetings!

B.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Vitamin D deficiency and IBS
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
Hi B.

As I mentioned most doctors don't know what test to order, let alone an optimal level. It needs to be the 25(OH)D serum test and not a combined 125/25 or 125 test. This test measures the form of vitamin D that regulated your immune and neurological systems, the 125 tests measure a form of D that changes through the day and regulates blood calcium levels.

You've described the perfect scenario for being D deficient which is prevalent in modern countries. Here in the UK for example 90% of the population are deficient.

I take a 10,000 UI/IU gelcap every other day in winter. I do get lots of summer sun. From people I know who pay for tests (the NHS won't really give them), something like this level seems to bring blood levels to optimal range. The docs will tell you blood level is fine when it isn't. You can take too much but toxicity is incredibly rare. When I broke both heel bones in August I started taking 20,000 per day as D is essential to building bones and repairing tissues. Seven weeks on that dose I showed no sign of toxicity.

The pharma industry play up the idea of toxicity because there is not much money in vit D or healthy people for them.

I do recommend getting tested, and supplementing with a gelcap where the vitamin D is already in oil: dry pills only give limited bioavailability as D must be bound to an oil molecule to pass the gut-blood barrier.

Don't know if you saw this in your research: http://www.irritablebowelexperts.com/can-vitamin-d-deficiency-cause-ibs-symptoms/

They recommend 2,000 - 4,000 per day and say this:

Because the link between vitamin d deficiency and ’IBS’ is so strong, it is safe to presume that a lot of people that suffer from IBS’ is a direct result of their lack of vitamin d.

Best,

Matthew

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:59:57 AM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Brainbug

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 07:28:34 PM »
Oke,

I've called my Doctor. I've asked them if they had tested my vit. D levels (anytime in the past).
He told me "Oh, no we did not, as you are a young vital person, we assumed this was not needed. This is never done in a regular blood test (only from the age of 65+)".

I must say I was a bit baffled by this, as he knows my history of problems in great detail.
One would think that they try to connect the dots at some point for my problems instead of just giving me all kind of different (heavy) medication over the years.

Anyway I want to know what those values are, so I will get myself tested somewhere in the coming month and update this post.
As it is handy for me to keep track of my "progress".

At this point and time a very hopeful and warm greeting,

B.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:12:52 PM »
Those medications cost a lot and make a lot for pharmaceutical business.

You being well cost a little and screws the pharma and the doctor. No money in you being well.

Vitamin D can't be patented, been known about to long.  So pharma feeds disinformation about toxicity whilst they are all trying to create a vitamin D "analogue" with one or two differences in the molecular structure to patent.

Big scam. Very big scam. D3 optimisation likely to result in somewhere from 50-80% decrease in cancer. This would bust the whole pharma industry.

Same as stopping war would bust the whole arms trade. No money in peace, or so the idiots see it.

Sad and shameful state humans have arrived at.

Find peace, find health.

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Brainbug

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 08:43:43 PM »
Hello,

So if anyone stumbles across this topic and is interested.
I've got myself tested.

Called my doctor and he told me results were good, 40.8 ng/ml
I've asked him if I needed supplements he told me no, as levels are considered normal where I live (Europe/Belgium).

I was a bit surprised by the number as for the last 2-3 weeks I saw less than an 1 hour of sun...
Maybe the 1.5 hour wait (!) at the doctor's office spend meditating did something to it  ;) 

Since I see a lot of threats where they tell "Somewhere between 50-70ng/ml", I think I will give it a go with a small dosage.
See how things progress.

I've looked up how much and this sites seems to give rough guidelines (along with some other sites):

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/further-topics/i-tested-my-vitamin-d-level-what-do-my-results-mean/

This websites suggests around 2000.
Matthew gave me a link (see post above), that told 2000-4000.

So I figure I'll go this week with 1000 for starters and up it to 2000 in the coming weeks (when winters kick's in).

I'll keep you updates how things come along.

Kind and warm greetings,

B.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 08:46:08 PM by Brainbug »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
40.8 is very good for Europe. I guess you take exercise outside in the summer months. Below 51 degrees north you cannot make vitamin D from October to march so fit the next few months your levels will gradually lower. What is optimal is a developing field of knowledge.