Author Topic: Obstacles In Meditation  (Read 13366 times)

alanStark

• Write something about yourself here
    • None
Re: Obstacles In Meditation
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
Give me one book that has step-by-step instructions and expected results instead of flowery words.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »
I think to some level you're missing the point. This isn't something you can read instructions like insert tab A into slot B and reach Nibbana, it also involves emotional transformation that surpasses pure intellect - it's the intellect that gets behind a lot of suffering.

However if that's where you need to go, I'd suggest "The Journey and the Guide" by Maitreyabandhu as a good practice based framework. It does however touch on flowery stuff like love and positivity, I've yet to come across any decent book on this subject that doesn't at some level, otherwise you'd just be aiming to become some sort of vacant vessel.

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2015, 06:48:50 AM »
This isn't something you can read instructions like insert tab A into slot B and reach Nibbana, it also involves emotional transformation that surpasses pure intellect - it's the intellect that gets behind a lot of suffering.
I second that. Jack Kornfield's "A Path with Heart" is one of the best books I have come across. Highly recommended.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

alanStark

• Write something about yourself here
    • None
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2015, 06:53:23 AM »
I think to some level you're missing the point. This isn't something you can read instructions like insert tab A into slot B and reach Nibbana, it also involves emotional transformation that surpasses pure intellect - it's the intellect that gets behind a lot of suffering.

However if that's where you need to go, I'd suggest "The Journey and the Guide" by Maitreyabandhu as a good practice based framework. It does however touch on flowery stuff like love and positivity, I've yet to come across any decent book on this subject that doesn't at some level, otherwise you'd just be aiming to become some sort of vacant vessel.

That's the perfect description of what I want to become; a vacant vessel, so that I can focus on my work and life instead of going batshit crazy in my own mind.

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2015, 07:12:05 AM »
Then this path may not be for you, and you may be in the wrong place.