Author Topic: Obstacles In Meditation  (Read 13373 times)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Obstacles In Meditation
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2015, 04:39:42 PM »
Hey guys, play nice please ....

Middleway, you made assumptions about Alan's keeping of dogs (that he did not take responsibility for their health and breeding). These assumptions seem ill-founded and, in any case, to assume is rarely useful. Also to state to someone who has been open and honest about mental health issues that it is "all about you" is not particularly wholesome speech, though I know your intentions are wholesome. For some at the start of walking the path, and sometimes for quite some time, it is "all about (me)" ... some of us have greater hurdles to practice and understanding the path than others: to act as if we all start at the same place is to ignore reality.

Alan, Middleway has clearly "hit a nerve" with you yet there is no need for ill-will or unwholesome speech - he's not trolling you though as I stated above he made assumptions.

I'm glad to hear you act responsibly in your stewardship towards these animals. What you do is a humane and meaningful intervention - a small thing in some ways but one of those small things that adds up "in the grand scheme of things" to a better and more humane world.

To both: The aim on this forum is to work peaceably together in understanding ourselves, our world and meditation practice. Let's try and stay cool about this, which I say in the way the Buddha used the word: i.e. not letting arising emotions take hold of you when responding to posts; not acting in the "heat" of the moment.

If you feel you are responding on an emotional level sometimes it's more wholesome to walk away, breathe, look at the stars, meditate - and come back another day to post.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

alanStark

• Write something about yourself here
    • None
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2015, 05:03:36 PM »
Thank you for your kind words. The capitals just triggered an episode of anger. I've removed the message. I apologize for disrupting the environment of the forum and offending anyone.

Middleway, I apologize for getting angry at you. I should be better at managing my emotions and keeping them to myself.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2015, 05:35:25 PM »
You are a wonderful human being Alan. I meant your ego when I used all caps. What caught my attention is your statement about hurting someone. What do you mean by that? It cannot be left unchallenged. My apologies for being blunt and insensitive. Edit: I mean earlier.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:12:53 PM by Middleway »
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

alanStark

• None
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2015, 08:10:32 PM »
Hurting that person meant, in this particular case, vandalizing his car and bike, getting him kicked off his job and getting his landlord to evict him. I strongly believe that I must do something for such misdeeds cannot go unpunished. Legality does not always protect morality; some acts of justice or revenge must be undertaken outside the scope of the law.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:15:13 PM by alanStark »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2015, 10:12:50 PM »
While I can empathise with your position there is no place on the path for punishment. Instead I would emphasise compassion.

p340

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 11:37:00 PM »
I'm with Dharmic Tui, for me, the only thing that can tame an aggressive situation is loving-kindness... Don't get infected with anger..
While I can empathise with your position there is no place on the path for punishment. Instead I would emphasise compassion.

Example how i emphasize compassion:

May i be filled with loving-kindness
May i be well
May i be peaceful and at ease
May i be happy

You could repeat this loudly or silently to yourself, letting the words permeate you deeper and deeper. When i'm stressed i sometimes use it now, and for me it develops strong energies of love and self acceptance. Thats where compassion has to start i guess...

P.S.: It's from a book and there is more to learn about that little practice, pm me if you want to know more!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:40:15 PM by p340 »

alanStark

• None
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2015, 04:48:41 AM »
What does love and kindness have to do with situation? That person doesn't deserve either. But if calming myself is possible through some practice, I'd definitely want that over going crazy.

Dharmic Tui, thanks for pitching in. You are a wise man. Your presence is always appreciated.

P340, I'd like to learn more about this practice, but these chants feel like empty words. Actually since a child I've detested words like wellbeing, kindness, love, peace, harmony. These words don't mean anything to me, even more so English being my third language.

I'll PM you soon. Thanks for pitching in.

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2015, 05:11:21 AM »
Hurting that person meant, in this particular case, vandalizing his car and bike, getting him kicked off his job and getting his landlord to evict him. I strongly believe that I must do something for such misdeeds cannot go unpunished. Legality does not always protect morality; some acts of justice or revenge must be undertaken outside the scope of the law.

The laws of karma are real. They aren't some magic cosmic payback machine but the simple fact consequences flow from actions. Christ said, "turn the other cheek". The wise do not seek to punish or find revenge: instead they understand people are deluded; they try to show a better and more harmonious way is possible.

This is not just for the other but for the consequences to self also: you will always know in your heart that a non-combative response was possible. Many episodes of acting this way will solidify pain in you. Trying to understand, educate and engage with others to find peaceable solutions will bring peace to your life.

Taking revenge or " making someone pay the price" can turn around on you: the guy gets kicked out, angry he comes back and puts down poisoned meat and you lose all your doggie friends ... not saying this WILL be the result, yet it could be the result. We cannot fully understand the results of our actions so wiser to choose the more wholesome action every time.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:26:05 AM by Matthew »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

p340

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2015, 10:31:24 AM »
What Matthew says

Plus: it's not just that it will turn around afterwards, sometimes when you are angry and aggressive, you are allready in your personal hell within. Being angry is an unpleasant feeling, and it colors your whole view on the world very negative. You know that, that's why you want to calm yourself ;) Love helps calming down! If you can find and hold on the roots of love in such situations, you can live in your heaven within. While feeling strong love, the world is colored brighter!

If these words are shallow for you or you dislike them, it might not be the right practice. But it could be worth it to try rediscovering the true meaning behind them, as they are very important words. I recommend giving it a try. You surely can translate them in your mother language, just be careful that it's very close to the original. There should be versions of that in many different languages i guess..

But i understand you.. It took me years to rediscover them fully too.. But it's worth it!  :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:36:10 AM by p340 »

Brainbug

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2015, 12:41:33 PM »
P340, I'd like to learn more about this practice, but these chants feel like empty words. Actually since a child I've detested words like wellbeing, kindness, love, peace, harmony. These words don't mean anything to me, even more so English being my third language.

My 2 cents for the lkm

English is also my third language. I do practice metta when I am in need of it (angry, sad, depressed, down...).
I started out in English and repeating a couple of 'sentences'. However these were very empty. I could as well be saying the opposite.

Since these sentences aren't invented in English but I think in Pali, I decided to find a couple of existing meaningful sentences (for me).
Based on those English sentences, I searched for a correct and meaningful translation in my mother tongue (sites with metta information in my native language).

The words and sentences are important, as in 'they should make some sense'.
However more important are the feeling or intention of the words/sentences.

If you never used those words in your native language, practice them (out loud) with empathy feelings, make those words feel really important, powerful and associate them with love/peace.
At first it will feel really weird, but this will soon improve.

This can create some powerful "feel good /peaceful / loving" emotions and is directed to your heart, what in turn, makes your current emotion less strong.
Later on, you can learn to direct those feelings to others; friends or foe's and really mean them.

For me, it goes hand in hand with my regular meditation sitting. But it's all personal preference.

Ps, I am in no way an expert, this is just my limited experience with the metta practice.

Warm greetings,

B.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 02:09:28 PM by Brainbug »

alanStark

• None
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2015, 03:15:21 PM »
Brainbug, thank you for sharing your invaluable experience with me.

What is metta?

My ordeal with words and visualization
I did try chanting Hare Rama Hare Krishna once and it felt good. But a few months into the practice, I had become addicted to it. Bereft the chant, I'd feel depressed and soon I realized it was more of an association trick the mind played with the chant and the mood.

This was a leap of faith, that I took, just once. I don't like words and visualization because I feel they throw me away from reality. I really feel like kicking people in the nuts when they say 'imagine a bobblehead squakerpacker charging you aura with blue colored farts released from the infinite store of magic spaghetti". In short, I hate deepak chopra and the likes.

I will take a leap of faith here, and do as instructed, if you'd care to guide me. Please be specific as to what to do.

Thank you again Brainbug.

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
I did try chanting Hare Rama Hare Krishna once and it felt good. But a few months into the practice, I had become addicted to it. Bereft the chant, I'd feel depressed and soon I realized it was more of an association trick the mind played with the chant and the mood.
Hi Alan, chanting mantra does have a suppressing effect. It takes us away from our negative emotional state and into positive states. But that does not address our suffering, so you are right on point.

I don't like words and visualization because I feel they throw me away from reality.
That is a great insight. Yes, chanting mantra does take us away from the reality of the moment, although mantra chanting has its own benefits.

Metta can be roughly translated in English as loving-kindness. When we practice Metta, we are sending thoughts filled with loving-kindness to ourselves as well as all beings. So, there can be visualization and verbalization involved in this, unlike Vipassana. If you do not feel like using visualization, you do not need to use it. There is a great book by Sharon Salzberg called Loving Kindness which explains everything about Metta practice. Hope this helps.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Brainbug

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2015, 06:04:07 PM »
Well, let me start off by saying that I don't chant, say any prayers or what have you .
This method is like p340 told you, not for everyone, but you could give it a try, if you are up for it.

The only thing I do during my metta practice is roughly "creating/waking up" some very grand feeling of love and kindness.
I don't think you should start right of the bat, but rather start by finding sentences (4 or so) and translate them to your own native language.

eg:
- May I be happy
- May I be healthy
- May I be free from suffering
- May I be free from danger (inner / outer)
- May I live with ease

From those sentences find the important words (healthy, happy,...) and attach this to a love and kindness feeling.

A good tip for this, If you ever had a pet or something you really love(d). Try to recall that feeling.
Then repeat the sentence in your head with that feeling, until you feel somewhat comfortable and open.

Meanwhile, try to read or learn about metta from books (see comments p340 and Vivek).
If you have a smartphone try "Insight timer", they have great guided metta sessions.
You have a computer, try youtube.
Try to find a great resource that suits you, learn the steps and then replace the sentences with your own sentences.

Not everyone will enjoy a guided meditation as you will get easily distracted, try books to get a grasp of the concept instead and create your own.

From that point you can start your own metta practice and slowly build this up so you can with full intention send metta to anyone.   

What is more powerful than you showing compassion and love for someone who can only hate you?

As I said before this for me is kind of an "extra" meditation session, I do this at irregular intervals, keep a healthy relationship towards it.

Ow and a last tip, you don't have to visualize or imagine it, you can also just feel it. But it is easier when you can visualize it...

I hope that I explained it in somewhat understandable rough guidelines.
Anyone who can add something or correct me, be free to do so.

Metta,

B.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:18:13 PM by Brainbug »

p340

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »
Very good advice above as far is i am concerned. Maybe i will give Salzbergs book a shot, sounds interesting.

The reason i thought of this practice was partially that you mentioned some psychological trouble in the past. I've been depressed a few years back, and i try to share some of my findings that helped me out of it.

Psychologically this practice is very useful for depressed persons. When you really try to mean "May i be happy", really mean it more and more, you change something very deep in yourself. Usually when you're depressed you have a more or less conscious inner monologue that goes maybe like "nobody likes me, i'm worthless, i'm ugly, i'm a bad person" etc. etc. This is a very painful state of mind.

With this practice you set another monologue against it. And for me, one of the most beautiful things about us is that faith and love are like seeds already waiting to grow. Even after years and years of subtle or direct self-hatred 24/7, watering the seeds just 10-20 minutes a day makes them grow and grow until they start growing on their own. It will start shining through.

I just remembered which scientist had a interesting concept about this, if you are interested in some science behind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck%27s_cognitive_triad If the link doesn't work google "Becks cogntive triad".

I really guess with insight meditation which you seem to be most influenced by, one can make these inner monologues more conscious and less powerful. Which probably helps dissolving them too. Metta is just another way of dealing with it. They are both worthy of trying and you don't have to decide. You can practice both or just one or something very different. Find want feels right at the moment. Sometimes after some years a method comes back and now you're ready. For me it took 3 years that meditation made *click* and a daily practice started.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:32:04 PM by p340 »

alanStark

• None
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2015, 05:22:02 AM »
This is mummy, who lost her 4 pups to that vile person, and the other 3 to another demon being crushed by his car. She likes being caressed under the ear. This is the first time I've photographed them, just for you guys.

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2015, 10:24:05 PM »
Actually since a child I've detested words like wellbeing, kindness, love, peace, harmony. These words don't mean anything to me, even more so English being my third language.

Alan, this is exactly how I felt two years ago before I started my practice.

If those words do not mean anything to you, then how would you describe your feelings towards the dogs you care for so diligently? You feed and take care of those dogs because they are vulnerable and need your help. So, you help them, and that makes you feel good. You then get attached to them. From that attachment, you get the desire to protect and care for them so you can continue to help them. When someone disrupts the cycle of care, you get angry and want to avenge for the loss or disruption. To summarize, negative or vengeful thoughts arise out of anger, anger arises out of desire, desire arises due to attachment, attachment arises due to clinging of the ego.

Anytime I get angry, I immediately recognize (sensations in the body) and say to myself - ah yes, my ego is alive and kicking... and I smile to myself. That is my mantra and I use it very often. That helps me a lot and manage my anger and negative feelings. What I found in the last two years of my practice, is that my ego is inversely proportional to love, compassion, and humility. As the grip of my ego started to loosen up, I began to understand and appreciate the meaning of those words. But I still have a long way to go.

Be well and take care.

Warm regards,

Middleway

alanStark

• None
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2015, 08:13:36 AM »
Middleway, I gained the insight into attachment quite a while back, when I constantly feared for the health of my mother. You see, the only relationship of unconditional love I have with a human, is that with my mother. But I concluded that this was supposed to be. This attachment makes me vulnerable, but keeps me human. Without this attachment I can become a monster, without morality, without anything to lose, without any responsiblity towards people or society at large.

How long before I can identify myself as separate from the mind, and finally be unaffected by my own personal hell? Have you achieved it? How much time does it normally take?

What is the ego? I never quite understood the meaning of this word, because definitions vary depending on the field.
From what comes to me, I've deduced:
1. There's the me part, the one watching life as it happens.
2. The automaton, that quitely operates my body, even when I'm not focused, on which I have some degree of control, yet not complete. Try thinking about raising your hand, nothing will happen, while an instinctive use of raisiing the hand surely will.
3. The impulse generator - which produces the thought process, of which I'm but a negligible part.

An afterthought; if one desired complete control of the mind, does one really need compassion, love, humility? I'm by nature a very humble person, because of which people, usually clients, tend to take advantage of me. I really want to become a monster, instead of a good person so that people may deal with me fairly.

The original practices of Dhyana as described in patanjali's yogasutra, and concentration development seem to not involve such percepts of morality, love or empathy. http://www.bodhicitta.net/Developing%20Samadhi.htm
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:45:10 AM by alanStark »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2015, 08:51:02 AM »
In terms of time this isn't a linear defined path, might take months, years, decades.

Once you have "control of your mind" (which isn't a great description, I'd liken it more to abandoning yourself), then compassion and love will come. Once you can move past fear, hatred, judging, projecting, and all other ways of imposing your ego on experience, your heart will open. Or is it the other way round? Maybe both.

Happiness is virtually impossible if you hold thoughts and feelings of Ill will.

alanStark

• None
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
Dharmic Tui, firstly I greatly respect your opinion. If Matthew is the father of this community, I see you as his second-in-command. I've learned a great deal from reading your posts in different threads.

Whatever you said is forgien to me. I can't make sense of it. Sorry. But I'm intrigued by "control of your mind" (which isn't a great description, I'd liken it more to abandoning yourself) - could you explain it a bit further?

alanStark

• None
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2015, 10:36:54 AM »
UPDATE: Haven't meditated for a few days now. Been overwhelmed with work and development support. Had 2 episodes of anger and depression since. Too tired to meditate. Need to rest amply and then begin again.

Can some explain to me the meaning of these sentences in the form of actionable specific instructions?

#. The easiest way to get hold of the mind is to sit quiet and let it drift where it will for a while. Hold fast to the idea, "I am the witness watching my mind drifting. The mind is not I." Then see it think as if it were a thing entirely apart from yourself. Identify yourself with God, never with matter or with the mind. Picture the mind as a calm lake stretched before you and the thoughts that come and go as bubbles rising and breaking on its surface. Make no effort to control the thoughts, but watch them and follow them in imagination as they float away. This will gradually lessen the circles. For the mind ranges over wide circles of thought and those circles widen out into ever increasing circles, as in a pond when we throw a stone into it. We want to reverse the process and starting with a huge circle make it narrower until at last we can fix the mind on one point and make it stay there. Hold to the idea, "I am not the mind, I see that I am thinking, I am watching my mind act', and each day the identification of yourself with thought and feeling will grow less, until at last you can entirely separate yourself from the mind and actually know it to be apart from yourself. When this is done, the mind is your servant to control as you will. The first stage of being a yogi is to go beyond the senses. When the mind is conquered, he has reached the highest stage.

#. The flow of this continuous control of the mind becomes steady when practised day after day, and the mind obtains the faculty of constant concentration.

#. The purer the mind, the easier it is to control. Purity of the mind must be insisted upon if you would control it.....Perfect morality is the all in all of the complete control over mind. The man who is perfectly moral has nothing more to do; he is free.

#. Q--How is it that desires rise even after mental concentration is acquired? A--Those are the outcomes of the previous Samskaras (deep-rooted impressions or tendencies). When Buddha was on the point of merging in Samadhi (superconsciousness), Mara made his appearance. There was really no Mara extraneous to the mind; it was only the external reflection of the mind's previous Samskaras.

#. The mind has to be gradually and systematically brought under control. The will has to be strengthened by slow, continuous and persevering drill. This is no child's play, no fad to be tried one day and discarded the next. It is a life's work; and the end to be attained is well worth all that it can cost us to reach it; being nothing less than the realization of our absolute oneness with the Divine. Surely, with this end in view, and with the knowledge that we can certainly succeed, no price can be too great to pay.

#. Sit for some time and let the mind run on. You simply wait and watch. Knowledge is power, says the proverb, and that is true. Until you know what the mind is doing you cannot control it. Give it the rein; many hideous thoughts may come into it; you will be astonished that it was possible for you to think such thoughts. But you will find that each day the mind's vagaries are becoming less and less violent, that each day it is becoming calmer.

#. Give up all argumentation and other distractions. Is there anything in dry intellectual jargon? It only throws the mind off its balance and disturbs it. Things of subtler plane has to be realized. Will talking do that? So give up all vain talk. Read only those books which has been writted by persons who have had realization.

#. Think of your own body, and see that it is strong and healthy; it is the best instrument you have. Think of it as being as strong as adamant, and that with the help of this body you will cross the ocean of life. Freedom is never to be reached by the weak. Throw away all weakness. Tell your body that it is strong, tell your mind that it is strong, and have unbounded faith and hope in yourself.

#. You must practise at least twice every day, and the best times are towards the morning and the evening. When night passes into day, and day into night, a state of relative calmness ensues. The early morning and the early evening are the two periods of calmness. Your body will have a like tendency to become calm at those times. We should take advantage of that natural condition and begin then to practise.

#. Mentally repeat: Let all beings be happy; Let all beings be peaceful; Let all beings be blissful. So do to the east, south, north and west. The more you do that the better you will feel yourself. You will find at last that the easiest way to make ourselves healthy is to see that others are healthy, and the easiest way to make ourselves happy is to see that others are happy. After doing that, those who believe in God should pray---not for money, not for health, not for heaven; pray for knowledge and light; every other prayer is selfish. .

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »
Whatever you said is forgien to me. I can't make sense of it. Sorry. But I'm intrigued by "control of your mind" (which isn't a great description, I'd liken it more to abandoning yourself) - could you explain it a bit further?
A lot of people assume a goal of meditation is to control ones mind, I don't believe this is possible, as the mind is a reactive machine, and we can't control the input stimulae. Instead I feel what should be attempted is the death of one's ego, for it is the ego that acts at the algorithm which overlays itself over your experience. It's the ego that wants control.

You witness it at first, then over time distance yourself from it.

I won't address each of your points in your second post, instead I'll offer some tips, as best I can word it

- Continue to cultivate a regular practice, try to increase frequency and duration where applicable. What you're wanting to do is really calm the mind/ego. It's your break from the world, and a break from your regular ruminating mind.
- In your regular day to day life, try to live life as wholesome as possible, avoid addictions and judgements, and try to be helpful to others.
- Try not to cast yourself in a role of being the victim or the protagonist. You just are, you cannot solve the world's problems, although you can make small changes in your own behaviour to improve things around you.

Over time, your ego should diminish to some degree, and behaving yourself has a double sided effect of giving you less to feel guilty about, and a possible foundation for feelings of genuine warmth. But the key is time, stick at it, forgo any expectations of where you should be in your progress or how you should feel.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:29:13 PM by Dharmic Tui »

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »
Middleway, I gained the insight into attachment quite a while back, when I constantly feared for the health of my mother. You see, the only relationship of unconditional love I have with a human, is that with my mother. But I concluded that this was supposed to be. This attachment makes me vulnerable, but keeps me human. Without this attachment I can become a monster, without morality, without anything to lose, without any responsiblity towards people or society at large.
You are absolutely right. Ego and its attachment to worldly objects is what makes us human and not a tree for example. There is nothing wrong with the ego as long as you are aware of its inner workings from moment to moment. You will not become a monster instead you will have the freedom from past conditioning and act appropriately rather than reacting. Reaction is not in your control by definition.

How long before I can identify myself as separate from the mind, and finally be unaffected by my own personal hell? Have you achieved it? How much time does it normally take?
I do not try to identify myself separate from the mind. That would imply there is an entity that is separate from my mind or ego. I am enjoying the fruits of the practice everyday and it is all that matters and time is irrelevant.

What is the ego? I never quite understood the meaning of this word, because definitions vary depending on the field.
From what comes to me, I've deduced:
1. There's the me part, the one watching life as it happens.
2. The automaton, that quitely operates my body, even when I'm not focused, on which I have some degree of control, yet not complete. Try thinking about raising your hand, nothing will happen, while an instinctive use of raisiing the hand surely will.
3. The impulse generator - which produces the thought process, of which I'm but a negligible part.
I am on the cushion focusing on my breath. I hear a dog bark. I say to myself, that stupid dog again...that is my ego arising, recognizing that noise as that same dog barking again, and feeling an aversion towards it.

I am on a subway. I see lot of strangers and my mind is in idle mode. Suddenly, I notice a familiar face and recognize him as my high school class mate. My mind compares to the face image of my buddy stored in my memory database and re-cognizes it. My ego has arisen to re-cognize the face.

I will defer the rest of your questions to answers and tips provided by DT.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:17:01 PM by Middleway »

Matthew

• Staff
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2015, 10:46:50 PM »
Dharmic Tui, firstly I greatly respect your opinion. If Matthew is the father of this community, I see you as his second-in-command. I've learned a great deal from reading your posts in different threads.

I'll reply further soon, yet this needs to be clear; I happen to be the founder and administrator of the community yet to be clear the community is run on a consensus democratic model with input from all active members on any important issue. Vivek, DT, Quardamon, Goofaholix, Middleway, Poojavassa, Siddarthagode, Crystal Palace and many more have been around a long time and make good fellows on the path.

This Sangha is a peer to peer mechanism for learning and "bootstrapping" meditation practice to greatest effect.

Hierarchy may be unavoidable yet we try to mitigate it at every opportunity.

Kindly,

Matthew

alanStark

• None
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
There's a big difference between being a fuhrer and a father. The former calls the shots and leads the herd, while the latter nurtures, strengthens and protects the same. It is with a positive connotation that we call Alan Turing the father of computer science. I'm quite amused by your message.

You play the role of a father, even if you don't realize it.

Suggestion: How about a wiki on a sub-domain here, to journal and organize articulate pieces of content. Feels like the next step. A lot of the good stuff is buried in threads, which are rather difficult to come by.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:06:31 AM by alanStark »

Dharmic Tui

• Something
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2015, 07:12:54 AM »
I feel the next step for you should be more practice. There's more than enough material already presented for you to wade through, and there's lots of books already written to act as a guide, the benefit here is bidirectional communication.