Author Topic: Please Help! Emotional Issues  (Read 2420 times)

DDenzS

• Write something about yourself here
    • N/A
Please Help! Emotional Issues
« on: September 09, 2015, 07:29:01 PM »
Hello. I need serious help, I need my emotions back. It’s been a few months now and I cannot live without it any longer without my emotions. I have turned to even more of a pressure can since I am unable to assert myself in important situations because I decided that I would block my emotions due to the stress. Please, I need your help for those who overcame it or know how to or anything/anyone, how to do this, how do you do it? I understand that Meditation is one of the only practices capable of restoring this but I understand that there is many methods to meditation this? Which method should I do and how? As much detail would be critically appreciated and so helpful (the word appreciated is just underrated) please pleaassssse include this in your description – I really need the advice, thank you.

But Most of All, you don't know how much your responses would be so much appreciated. Please your responses are appreciated but please help if you can ASAP I’d be very very, very (there is no word to describe how grateful I would be) grateful, this means a lot to me and it would mean a lot more if you helped - Thank you so much and it means a lot to me that you care about this situation.

It is greatly appreciated and Thank you sooo much for paying attention to & feeling my situation.

DDenzS

Dharmic Tui

• Something
    • Some Theravada, some secular
Re: Please Help! Emotional Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »
We'd probably need more information, although on the surface it sounds like you're having some sort of crisis. Surely you experience some emotions.

Thupten

• Just a monk.
    • Dzogchen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »
Hello. I need serious help, I need my emotions back. It’s been a few months now and I cannot live without it any longer without my emotions. I have turned to even more of a pressure can since I am unable to assert myself in important situations because I decided that I would block my emotions due to the stress. Please, I need your help for those who overcame it or know how to or anything/anyone, how to do this, how do you do it? I understand that Meditation is one of the only practices capable of restoring this but I understand that there is many methods to meditation this? Which method should I do and how? As much detail would be critically appreciated and so helpful (the word appreciated is just underrated) please pleaassssse include this in your description – I really need the advice, thank you.

But Most of All, you don't know how much your responses would be so much appreciated. Please your responses are appreciated but please help if you can ASAP I’d be very very, very (there is no word to describe how grateful I would be) grateful, this means a lot to me and it would mean a lot more if you helped - Thank you so much and it means a lot to me that you care about this situation.

It is greatly appreciated and Thank you sooo much for paying attention to & feeling my situation.

DDenzS

Seems like your emotions are working just fine. Looking back at your message here, doesn't it seem like there's excitement and passion?

Sorry, I've never read that meditation restores emotions.

DDenzS

• Write something about yourself here
    • N/A
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 07:25:30 AM »

DDenzS

Seems like your emotions are working just fine. Looking back at your message here, doesn't it seem like there's excitement and passion?

Even though it may seem I have emotions, that is not the case - knowing myself this is how I would respond if I did have my full emotions back - it took me a very, very long time to write that message.

We'd probably need more information, although on the surface it sounds like you're having some sort of crisis. Surely you experience some emotions.

The emotions I feel know are very very very, very weak to nothing, not months ago when I now I felt the full flare of my emotions as I illustrared in my previous message. Like I said eariler, I felt I didn't want my emotions due to the stress I experienced then and blocked them - numbed myself for months can't and could'nt experience anything - can't proceed like this any further, things important to my life are now happening and I need them. I need my emotions back.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »
Hi DDenzS,

I understand in your experience that you blocked your emotions: can I ask how you did this? Were you suppressing your emotions mentally, wilfully - or was there some use of alcohol/drugs/etc involved to achieve this?

Also I agree with Thupten that there is passion, even some quiet anger and sadness, that shows in your original post - and you say yourself in your last post that you do feel emotions, though weakly. So I would encourage you to try and find some peace with yourself which will help to free your emotions.

The eventual goal of Buddhist meditations leads to a reduction of the influence that emotions have on us unconsciously/subconsciously - and eventually cutting the roots completely so that they do not sway our being in the world at all (though it is clear from the Buddha's teachings that even an enlightened man will still have emotions arise). This does not seem to be your goal - and there is no need for it to be your goal.

Meditation can help restore access to emotions. In doing so it can also help heal overwhelming emotions such as those you seem to have experienced from your description. You have discovered that pushing them away does not work.

It is not a quick fix and chasing results will not help you: learning to relax and feel your body and listen to your mind in meditation practice can slowly unbind the knots that tie you. On the Homepage of this website there is a meditation instruction for "Shamatha/Calm Abiding" reproduced in full. This practice is the practice that I would recommend for anyone who wants to start with meditation. Most importantly for you, I know from personal experience that once you get the hang of it - and in particular the balance between being awake to the moment yet relaxed and not seeking results - that this practice is efficacious in healing body and mind, including freeing up emotional blockages.

Have a read, give it a try. And, if you find anxiety or stress arising, just remember to calm your body with each in-breath and to calm your body with each out-breath - both on and off the meditation cushion. The mind will follow the signals of the body in this regard. Strong emotions are visceral.

If there is something you don't understand do not hesitate to search the forums for answers or look at the threads linked from the Frequently Asked Questions - and ask for clarification should you need it.

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »
There is a sense of urgency that can be detected in the OP. Also, there is mention of stress in the post. Looks like the OP fails to recognize the emotions he is already experiencing, and is looking to experience some specific emotions (not sure what they are). 

DDenzS, I would urge you to slow down and deal with this issue one step at a time. Firstly, you are already experiencing some emotions akin to fear and worry. That is pretty evident from your post. Could you just stop.... and allow yourself to notice what feelings are there currently? Simply pausing and mindfully noting the internal experience of the moment is usually more than sufficient. Do you currently have a meditative practice? If not, the instructions given at the homepage is a good place to start. If you feel that our suggestions given here are not really helping you, then maybe you should the help of a professional therapist.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?