Author Topic: strong sensations during Samatha meditation  (Read 2433 times)

greenfly

• Write something about yourself here
    • Mindfulness , Goenka Vipassana retreat
strong sensations during Samatha meditation
« on: September 09, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
Hi..
During Samatha calm abiding meditation , right at the every beggining of every meditation,there is a pressure sensation in my head....from the center of the head going to the front and sinuses bones (I think I can said so).Is not pain,but is very persistent,and i don'know if I should follow them,because this pressure are present the whole meditation time...I meditate twice a day for 40 minutes....Can You advice me what to do??
And sorry my english...tnx..

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: strong sensations during Samatha meditation
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:26:08 PM »
What technique are you practising?

greenfly

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:28:51 AM »
I was on Goenka 10 day course,and i have practiced vipassana for 1 year home 2x a day...but the sensations that i was searching did not come ,so i decided (thanks to the members of this forum) to practice Samatha calm abiding method.

Goofaholix

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 05:51:14 AM »
I was on Goenka 10 day course,and i have practiced vipassana for 1 year home 2x a day...but the sensations that i was searching did not come ,so i decided (thanks to the members of this forum) to practice Samatha calm abiding method.

That could mean any number of things, can you point me to or describe the instructions?

greenfly

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 06:37:23 AM »
During the Goenka course i did not experienced sensations on most of  body parts during the "body scaning".,,so i was adviced from the teacher to do anapana to improove my concentration.So i  do it.
I continued to be aware of my breath and the sensations that the breath produce around my nose and nostrils region..From time to time  when i was meditating at home,I decided to do bodyscaning to see if my concentration was improoved,but i was unable to feel sensations in most of the parts of the body.I had a feeling that I was trying to hard and i was too tense to experience something. So I have read the Matthew post and insructions about the Samatha calm abiding method, and I practice it for month or two now.I feel more relaxed and quiet(not tense like when i was doing goenka method) .
But recently i experience that " persistive" pressure on my fronthead part and i dont know how i sppose to deal with it.,,ignore the pressure sensation or analize it....it's present from when i sit to the end of my meditation...even trought the day when i' m mindfull...the sensation comes up in the moment....it's like that want to tell me something that i must integrate or let go of something....maybe past experience....i don' t know.

Goofaholix

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 08:22:04 AM »
Observing the breath at the nostrils can often lead to this kind of tension when one is starting out and hasn't learned to concentrate in a relaxed way.

I'd recommend experimenting with observing the breath through the rise and fall of the abdomen or chest, or the vibration or rocking of the body as it breaths, see if the tension doesn't arise when you aren't so focused around the head area.

greenfly

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 09:38:02 AM »
Observing the breath at the nostrils can often lead to this kind of tension when one is starting out and hasn't learned to concentrate in a relaxed way.

Yes,this is what I've learnd(experienced) since i've been doing samatha calm abiding practice..
The  pressure sensations is stronger when i put focus on it,it's like someone push hard on my nose bones..,and like some energie want to get from the center in my head out from the fronthead...anyway....i'm not sure if i need to follow this,or continue to pay atention on the  sensations in the whole body when i'm breathing...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:40:48 AM by greenfly »

Goofaholix

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »
i'm not sure if i need to follow this,or continue to pay atention on the  sensations in the whole body when i'm breathing...

It's best to back off and put your attention elsewhere if it gets too much.  Sometimes through by paying attention to a tension like this one eventually lets go of it but sometimes not, it's a process of observing and learning as you go.