Author Topic: how important is it to concentrate on body sensations  (Read 1929 times)

khlroj

• Write something about yourself here
    • zen
how important is it to concentrate on body sensations
« on: August 24, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
Like the title says really and is there any more important sensation than any other. Maybe I should just ask can someone point me in the right direction where I can find some information on this.

Thanks

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: how important is it to concentrate on body sensations
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:41:10 AM »
It's important to be aware of body sensations, among other reasons because it's a big part of our daily sensory experience.

It's not necessary to concentrate on body sensations, unless you are following specific meditation instructions.

Pacific Flow

• Goenka Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 04:05:19 AM »
Sensations to me are like a vehicle into the world of my unconscious part of the mind. They can be used to help push further into this territory.
But they are not limited to the mere role of a tool. Sensation are a result of the interaction between mind and matter. Take a stone for example. There are certainly processes of physical or chemical nature going on in a stone. Assuming a stone isn't filled with a mind, there is nothing in the stone to feel those processes.
It takes a mind to feel this. So the sensations are your closest, most direct possible experience of life, reality, and of this very moment.
That's why they are so important for us as meditators.

Are some sensations more important than others in the context of meditation? No i think in our context they are all equally important. We should train ourselves to be equanimous with any kind of sensation. Unpleasant, gross ones as well as neutral or even fine, pleasant ones.
Why? Because we cannot choose which type of sensations we will experience in life. Very likely we will experience a wide variety of them all the time. In order to keep mind balanced when facing them, we train to observe them without reaction, without craving or aversion.

The important part here is that however you go about, you should see that you train your mind to be aware and equanimous to all the different kinds of sensations.
The gross ones can be a tool to train equanimity towards unpleasant experiences.
The sublte ones can be used to train equanimity towards pleasant experiences, and also to help your mind developing the capability to feel finer and subtler realities.
The neutral ones you can use to observe your boredom as a defilement 😀

Much Metta
Marco
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:22:51 PM by Pacific Flow »

Jefirot

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »
I really appreciate this illustration of how the mind and body interact. Thank you Marco

Our body is the direct extension to our external environment and what keeps us grounded. Connected to the earth, the body is in constant communication with the mind and this interaction contains very subtle energies, in which most of us have become numb.  Paying attention to the body is a doorway to the present moment and where the deepest awareness begins. 

Simply practicing awareness of the body and acceptance of how you feel at any given moment will give rise to balanced energy, clarity and stability. Feel the connection to the roots of your being - allow the energy to flow, and appreciate the vibrant life force.

Warm Serenity!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:21:10 PM by Jefirot »

Alex

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:57:35 PM »
Hi khlroj

I wonder what makes you ask this question.

Kind regards
Alex