Author Topic: KIndly recommend me some good books.  (Read 2259 times)

satishk

• om mani padme hum
    • Meditation,Inspiration: Eckhart Tolle, Autobiography of a Yogi,Swami Vivekananda
KIndly recommend me some good books.
« on: August 24, 2015, 05:48:03 PM »
I have read books by eckhart tolle and books by Ramakrishna ashram and a few others,
could anyone recommend some really good spiritual books  ?
WHERE IS THE LOCATION FROM WHERE YOU BEGAN ?
I BEGAN AT AWARENESS.
WHERE IS AWARENESS?
AWARENESS IS.
-Sphere -Michael Crichton :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Staff
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: KIndly recommend me some good books.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:09:03 PM »
Hi satishk,

Spiritual does not make up part of what I seem to be. We here are practitioners of variations of "Vipassana" or "Insight" meditation. It is a many varied tradition. We can help with questions about life in general and about the form of meditation we undertake.

Personally I found the Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (Stephen Mitchell translation) a wise book. Maybe you would?

Kindly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

Jefirot

• Write something about yourself here
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:18:25 PM »
Each opportunity to feed the mind and develop perspective is something I remain grateful for.  Exploring philosophy and spiritual insight is invigorating and eternal.

Here are some of my favorites:

The Untethered Soul (Michael Singer) -  This is a spiritual journey through the modern challenges we face within our self. Explore how consciousness interacts with the ego.

As You Think (James Allen) - This timeless gem is a small book that can be opened over and over again throughout a lifetime. Uncovering the powers of the mind and achieving personal serenity through thought. (originally written in 1904)

Wherever You Go There You Are (John-Kabat Zinn) - A breathtaking look at mindfulness in everyday life. A fascinating look at meditation based on the ancient Buddhist method of stress reduction.

The Four Agreements (Don Miguel Ruiz) -  Based on ancient Toltec wisdom, The Four Agreements explore the source of self-limiting beliefs and offer a very powerful way to release pointless suffering.

The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari (Robin Sharma) - This classic is amazingly fun to read and contains some very profound secrets in attaining a higher life.  This book reveals the hidden keys to unlocking your greatest life mentally, physically and spiritually while reaching your highest mountain top.

These are just a few of my most treasured reads. I would love to see some other suggestions.

With Much Joy and Gratitude!

Jeremy

satishk

• om mani padme hum
    • Meditation,Inspiration: Eckhart Tolle, Autobiography of a Yogi,Swami Vivekananda
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »
Thank You. :)
WHERE IS THE LOCATION FROM WHERE YOU BEGAN ?
I BEGAN AT AWARENESS.
WHERE IS AWARENESS?
AWARENESS IS.
-Sphere -Michael Crichton :)

bomega

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 12:29:49 AM »
Hi SatishK,

I really enjoyed Power of Now too. Not sure if you are still checking into this thread, but here are a few thoughts:

1) This thread under vf.net > Book Recommendations > "Ten Dirty Secrets of Getting Enlightened" links to three short ebooks that are a nice easy, amusing read that summarizes a lot of great ideas around mindfulness.

2) A lot of people really enjoy Krishnamurti's writings. Looks like you can download them for free from: http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/default.php

3) I posted in another thread that I've really been enjoying Pema Chodron's books. When Things Fall Apart is her most popular, but The Wisdom of No Escape is an earlier work you might enjoy too. I have The Places that Scare You and Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change on my reading list too.

I did want to comment on the recommendation above for The Untethered Soul. I didn't care for the author's interpretaton of his own "Roommate Exercise". It certainly was an amusing read, but when I did the roommate exercise, I actually had a result quite different than his sarcastic cynicism would suggest. It made me question the teacher's authority, and I wonder if he even did his own exercise. Then, when I researched him a bit, it turns out he has some legal and ethical scandals on him. I guess he summarized some buddhist ideas in a straight-forward manner, but I'm not sure I would recommend his book. You can get what he wrote from wikipedia.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:33:54 AM by bomega »

Tobin

• Seeking Truth
    • Samatha & Vipassana
    • Curious
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 08:26:14 AM »
Anything by Pema Chodron is really good like Bomega mentioned.

I was also recommended and am currently reading, 'The Wise Heart' by Jack Kornfield. It's easy to read and is full of useful information.
Regards,
Tobin

munchie

• Who are you?
    • Antar Maun, Zen
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 12:34:17 AM »
Hey satishk!

I was digging through some of the other book resources here I and I wanted to suggest Meditation Benefits and Techniques by William Weston. It's a great book about meditation, and I've gotten a lot out of it so far. Reading this book made me realize I was over thinking things and that simplicity is good. :) The book was so good, that I'm trying to find other books like it.

It's on Amazon and it's free. It's the one with the purple cover, but I think if you just search the name you'll find it on Amazon.

I think I am going to read "The Four Agreements" next, thanks to Jefirot! It looks really good!

Good luck!