Author Topic: Body sensations  (Read 1446 times)

khlroj

• Write something about yourself here
    • zen
Body sensations
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »
Never noticed before but think its a sign of meditation progress but yesterday while meditating I was switching between different body sensations and noticed how say if I switched my attention to my arm how my mind created a story that was very similar to what I was feeling. (very hard to explain what I mean exactly)

Every body part i would go to my mind instantly created some kind of story that somehow matched and went with it. Does anyone know what Im talking about? Is this a sign of good progress?

Thanks

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Body sensations
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 11:16:25 PM »
It's good that you've become aware of this, then next step is to let go of believing the story, and then after that let go of the habit of generating this unnecessary commentary on your experience.

This is why in practice we are directed to look at actual physical sensations and/or mental activity rather than the story/content of that mental activity.

We waste a lot of energy generating unnecessary commentary and it separates us from real experience, letting go of it will let go of a habit that creates a lot of Dukkha.

Prajna

• Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »
It's good that you've become aware of this, then next step is to let go of believing the story, and then after that let go of the habit of generating this unnecessary commentary on your experience.

This is why in practice we are directed to look at actual physical sensations and/or mental activity rather than the story/content of that mental activity.

We waste a lot of energy generating unnecessary commentary and it separates us from real experience, letting go of it will let go of a habit that creates a lot of Dukkha.

Very good reply!

Sādhu! Sādhu! Sādhu! :)

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 06:04:20 PM »
If you can be aware of both then that is very good and it opens a whole new world of understanding. But remember to give importance to sensations and using them to increase your equanimity