Author Topic: Stange thing happened last night! Thought I was dying?  (Read 1227 times)

khlroj

• Write something about yourself here
    • zen
Stange thing happened last night! Thought I was dying?
« on: August 17, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
Last night I reckon it was about 2am something strange happened. As normally what I do is meditate before falling asleep. But basically even when I wake up in the middle of the night which is almost every night I sort of watch my mind (like thinking to myself no thoughts... like no language etc who is behind the language) I think that but without thinking it but obviously I'm just trying to explain it in words to you.

Anyway... So At some point last night my mind went completely blank but I wasn't dreaming I was awake and watching it. Problem is I cant fully remember the thoughts or what happened because it happened so fast. The main feeling I could really describe is it felt like I was being sucked into something like blackness or emptiness. I knew I completely wasn't thinking about my ego It felt like I lost it but then I was scared that I might die?

So while this was happening I could still think and I thought oh know if I keep letting this suck me in I might never wake up...

Anyway this all happened very fast and because I thought I would die I brought my self back. But after I did I realised that I had completely emptied my mind of my ego or thought (I cant explain exactly what I mean in words) . I just knew I had done the thing what I try do every night.

Does any know what might of happened to me or has anyone had a similar experience?

Prajna

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Re: Stange thing happened last night! Thought I was dying?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »
Years ago I had been doing some sort of meditations (didn't have much of an idea what I was doing) a while and had some intense samadhi experiences (had no idea what they were at the time). Often thought I might die. Prior to attempts of re-entering those states I even sometimes gave some thought to "what's this situation gonna look like if people come and find me dead." I suppose mostly I was afraid that the intense rapture might cause heart attack or something

Retrospectively I don't even think those samadhi (tranquality, calm, concentration) states were that powerful. Anyway what you describe sounds a bit different.

I've read and heard quite often that fear of dying is very much common at many stages of many different practises. That's all I can say.

Don't be afraid when the situation re-occurs. Just try to let go and get even deeper and deeper. Samadhi and wisdom go hand in hand. Without any samadhi, doing insight meditation seems absolutely ridiculous and absurd. One thing I've been very interested in lately is Khanika Samadhi. It means momentary concentration. In insight meditation those moments of momentary concentration can form a stream or a line of concentration that is as powerful as any state of samadhi achieved in samatha meditation. This is very interesting because in samatha meditation one concentrates on a single concept and in insight meditation one doesn't concentrate on any consepts but jumps from one mind object (experience) to another every second or even faster.