Author Topic: desire and control  (Read 1064 times)

JMatlack

• I am a psychology student who meditates
    • mindfulness
    • determined
desire and control
« on: August 14, 2015, 02:46:27 AM »
Pooja I know you are very knowledgeable when it comes to Buddha's words. I wonder if you could quote some of his wisdom on desire.

My question is, how do I know when I desire something?  I ask because I struggle with negative thinking that has no reason and does not seem to be in my character but still arises.  Also, I struggle with overindulgence in eating, attention getting, and tv etc...  I wonder if I can even be aware of a desire third person(objectively) at all.

This question is open to anyone but I do know that Pooja usually references Buddha which I find very refreshing and useful. Thank you forum!
"THE ALL (god) is MIND; the universe is mental" written in The Kybalion

Prajna

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Re: desire and control
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:54:14 AM »
Hello friend,

Just practise insight meditation. Four foundations of mindfulness. Once your concentration and insight develop there will certainly be knowing/awareness of desire (partiality towards something or partiality against something) rising and fading away as separate experiences and the understanding of the problems with all attachment and how nothing is worth clinging to. I do not know which path exactly is optimal for you. I am not a buddha. It is possible that it would be best to practise pure samatha (tranquility, calm, concentration) first.

I think looking at reality closely (insight meditation) is ultimately the only way to really understand desire and to know when one desires something and to see clearly how it relates to suffering.

EDIT. you probably already know that desire is attachment, and attachments lead to suffering. And you have probably heard many times that nothing is worth clinging to. These things are probably why you were asking the "how do I know when I desire something"-question. But really I think you look at this from the ego/self point of view (as almost everybody does and as I did only a year ago). I've learned it's all about letting go and looking at reality as consisting of not selves and three dimensional space but of moment to moment experiences that are impermanent and ownerless. From this point of view the chaotic complicated momentary experience of desire/wanting will be clearly experienced and the knowing of it will be clearly experienced. But these are happenings. There can't really be you desiring and you knowing about it. "You" and "you desiring" and "you knowing about desiring" are consepts (meaning they are not real (this is not just some hippie point of view)). Only thing that can really be said to be real is the raw experience of the present moment (this really is true. science has nothing to say against this.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:58:06 AM by Prajna »