Author Topic: Is the enlightened mind a stripped mind  (Read 1439 times)

Alistair

• Write something about yourself here
    • vipassana
Is the enlightened mind a stripped mind
« on: August 02, 2015, 10:40:39 PM »
Hi!

So I've been meditating for 5 years now and learnt alot about my own mind and phsychology. About a 1.5 years ago I experienced the feeling of looking at my hands without having any identity attached to them, at first it felt scary but after doing it for a while I got used to it, then about a year ago I went through a month were about every time I meditated I felt extreme fear and anxiety until one day while meditating it suddenly dawned upon me that I am the ego, the very thing I wanted to get rid of and from there I realised that I or me is only a mental construction that doesnt have any fundemental truth to it, in other words ''I dont exist''. At first this felt like a death penalty and really messed up my mind but then I(I is just used for the simplicity, can't really describe what this is) started to think, If there is no I then what is there? I mean if I is just a mental construct, a limiting one as such then a mind without I is limitless, where does I start and where does it end. So I've come to the point where I'm capable of stripping my mind naked of all attachments and my Identity for some time just in order to fall back into my identity, it's almost like a sticker that I manage to pull of and see that it is not me and then realize it's  still on me xD
    So my question is dough I think it's kind of stupid to ask but I just want to know for sure, is this some kind of enlightenment or is there even more to discover? Cause the way I see it, there is nothing more to reality then a complete unattached mind, that is stripped of all Identity and beliefs, a mind that is infinate and still nothing at the same time, that when it sees reality there is no real difference between a tree, human, sky, building, etc. it just is and there is no mind or identity there to put labales on them.  And from a scientific standpoint this also makes sense, as we are all just a constant flow of ever changing atoms.

Best Regards
Alistair

Goofaholix

• Write something about yourself here
    • Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Is the enlightened mind a stripped mind
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:27:34 AM »
One thing I’ve learned about this path is every time I think I’ve nailed some great big insight a few month later I’ve moved on and it doesn’t seem so significant any more.  What you’ve described seems pretty good to me but don’t get attached to it, let your understanding evolve.

It’s good to recognize the mental constructions but also realise that we need them, they are part of how we interact with the world around us., not self view is about not identifying with any particular experience or mental construction.

Vivek

• Staff
    • Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
Re: Is the enlightened mind a stripped mind
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:20:13 AM »
It is generally said that if you are not sure that the stage you have reached is the final one, then most probably it is not. As Goofaholix said, it would be very beneficial not to get to attached to your experience and allow yourself to let it go, and move on. 
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?