Author Topic: Long retreats  (Read 4500 times)

Prajna

• Write something about yourself here
    • Vipassana
Long retreats
« on: July 29, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »
Hello everybody!

I'm kind of looking to take the practise to a new level. Would very much like to do a long meditation retreat somewhere in europe preferably (I live in Finland). I don't really have clear picture how these lay meditator possibilities work. Does anyone here have experiance doing long vipassana retreats in europe? If there was a chance to meditate say from late september till say december in one place, that would be perfect for me - but obv doing several shorter retreats around europe may be possibility as well. Anyway devoting most of the autumn and early winter to developing sati and wisdom is something I see as important. I'm going to write some more later. Thanks,

Goofaholix

• Theravada / Insight Meditation
Re: Long retreats
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:01 PM »
The Insight Meditation Society do an annual 3 month retreat http://www.dharma.org/meditation-retreats/retreat-center/retreat-center-schedule%20%20%20 which coincides pretty much exactly with the timeframe you mention.  However it’s in the USA and you need to book about a year in advance.

In Europe probably your best bet is to stay in one of the Forest Sangha monasteries, see http://forestsangha.org/

Prajna

• Vipassana
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
Funny how amazing the timing of that Insight Meditation Society retreat would have been :)

Interesting how expensive it is though.

Looks like the main teacher of that retreat is Joseph Goldstein. Just listened interesting dialogue between Sam Harris and Joseph Goldstein: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-path-and-the-goal

Goofaholix

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:01:31 AM »
As a daily rate it's on a par with other retreat centres that can't rely on donations from others.

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:08:01 AM »
Joseph Goldstein is a very down-to-earth teacher. His talks and books are very insightful and practical. I think you will benefit immensely should you choose to do a retreat with him.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 02:34:07 PM »
Funny how amazing the timing of that Insight Meditation Society retreat would have been :)

Interesting how expensive it is though.

Looks like the main teacher of that retreat is Joseph Goldstein. Just listened interesting dialogue between Sam Harris and Joseph Goldstein: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-path-and-the-goal

Thanks Prajna for the link. Very interesting conversation!
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Prajna

• Vipassana
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »

You're welcome!

I found this website: http://mahasi.eu/index.html?_sourcePage=%2Fwhat.html

Does anyone here have any experience meditating at those particular monasteries?

I don't require any super highly regarded retreat with respected teachers and daily dhamma talks. Also I don't need ton of assistance and attention. I'm looking for a simple place to meditate and the chance to be around a few people that are on the same path as I am. Ofcourse if there was an enlightened teacher creating inspiration by his presence that would be amazing.

The problem I've had meditating at home is that I constantly lapse into sensual indulgence. It would be nice if one could advance on the path and yet once in a while get into entertainment and great foods and powerful sexual experiences. However some time ago I very clearly learned the reality of the situation. When one does a lot of insight meditation and really advances and really gets into the mode of letting go the right way, the certain equanimity arises and one doesn't see any value in entertainment and great foods. One has to almost re-learn how to enjoy sensuality. It almost doesn't make any sense anymore. But yet one very quickly gets back into entertainment and enjoying foods and sex. Then one tries to continue intense meditation practise and notices that letting go is now impossible. The mode of letting go the right way was lost. And it takes time to get the practise into where it was prior. First time when I clearly noticed that it is impossible to enjoy entertainment while enjoying meditation and impossible to enjoy meditation while enjoying entertainment I was very sad. But it seems to me to be a clear fact of reality that just cannot be overcome.

Goofaholix

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »

I found this website: http://mahasi.eu/index.html?_sourcePage=%2Fwhat.html

Does anyone here have any experience meditating at those particular monasteries?

I've done several retreats in this style, though mostly in Asia.  It's pretty intense but I think it's what you're looking for.

However the addresses listed on the centres and sitting groups tab all appear to be sitting groups, ie people getting together once a week after work or something like that.  I'm not sure there is a retreat centre or monastery in Europe in this tradition.

I'm don't think you'll be able to find a structured retreat several months long in Europe, perhaps you could travel around doing 10 days here and then 10 days there, you'll then get the chance to meet different teachers and practice different styles.

Here's a link to a directory, note may of these are not retreat centres and not vipassana/insight meditation, I think you might find some ideas from here http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/region.php?region_id=5

Prajna

• Vipassana
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 04:14:05 PM »
Thank you for the reply Goofaholix!

Maybe I should just contact several UK monasteries and fly to London and figure things out. I don't know. My budget is limited. The interesting thing about the state of being very mindful though is that when you establish the state of mindfulness and look at things from that present moment perspective it is impossible to see anything as a problem. The goal of insight meditation really is a state where nothing can hurt you. The whole point is that there won't exist even the possibility of suffering. I'm still far from there though. As I stated in a prior message I often lapse into sensual indulgence (for example just finished the second season of "true detective" today. LOL)

Goofaholix

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 06:55:36 AM »
(for example just finished the second season of "true detective" today. LOL)

Not nearly as good as season 1 I hear.

Prajna

• Vipassana
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 01:24:05 PM »
(for example just finished the second season of "true detective" today. LOL)

Not nearly as good as season 1 I hear.

True that. :)  But there was some interesting stuff on the second season as well.

You're welcome!

Sam and Joseph did a second podcast just a few days ago. (They did the first one 10 months ago).

Here is the link to new one (haven't listened the whole thing yet myself): http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/questions-along-the-way-further-reflections-on-the-practice-of-meditation-w