Author Topic: Equanimity vs apathy  (Read 5444 times)

frepi

Equanimity vs apathy
« on: September 16, 2008, 06:27:26 PM »
I realised that, while trying to be equanimous, I was more apathic or "emotionless". I must admit that the difference between both is blurry to me. Yet, I read and heard experienced meditators say that these 2 were quite opposite. Can someone explain the difference ?

Thank you

magicwords

Re: Equanimity vs apathy
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 01:15:27 AM »
I think the differince is that. apathy is a state where you are more disconnected by you're fellings and body and its brought on by pushing away or blocking out things. when i am meditating i sometimes confuse what my body is telling me with me fellings as distractions (a distraction you ignore and block out) equanimity is being at peace with your self and allowing these things into you.

although i might be talking about something completly off the ball here.

Hazmatac

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 04:38:21 AM »
equanimity comes with practice. For now maybe a thought comes up and you will feel agitated about it. Just notice it for what it is, what it does, and what triggers it. As you meditate more you will achieve more and more equanimity naturally. If you're trying to force it you're just adding to the 'problem'. Hope this helps.

Robert

anicca

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »
To me apathy is not caring, not being fully aware, suppressing your true emotions.

Equanimity is being aware, not reacting but taking action when action is needed.

Equanimity is a deep awareness, whereas apathy is closing off from the world.

frepi

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 04:25:41 PM »
Thanks to all for the answers. However, I was not looking for the theoretical definitions of equanimity, but how to practice it without falling into apathy. There is a thin line between watching your emotions live without letting them take control and shutting them down. When I try to be equanimous I quickly become apathic. Those two concepts are so similar that I have difficulty distinguishing between both mental postures. Is there something to do to get a feel of what is true equanimity?

Hazmatac

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 04:17:36 AM »
dont TRY to be anything. If you're not equanimious (sp?), than just observe you're not equanimous. Just leave it alone. Be patient and it will develope on its own.

Robert

PS I believe this answer better sums up what i wrote before

Hazmatac

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 07:06:18 AM »
The key to equanimity is through patience

Stefan

• The Marvellous Omannobazong!!!
  • love is the key
    • Vipassana (Goenka), Freestyle, Family, God
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 07:50:47 PM »
So, maybe you are equanimous, maybe apathic. Don't try to decide, but observe - nothing more.
anicca

Samsara Addict

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:41:26 PM »
I agree with Robert. Try to keep it simple. Just be aware of what is. Before you know it you'll be watching the feeling of apathy appear and disappear without being identified with it. You won't be apathetic you will be observing an apathetic feeling from a safe distance.

Hope this helps.

Del

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:16:55 PM »
Equanimity grows from seeing that the reactions you have are merely conditioning you need to clean up. Less conditioning, less reactions, more equanimity. It is inner calm or balance.

In the Dhamma,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~