Author Topic: The Path of Zen vs Vipassana? Is it two of the same?  (Read 2176 times)

woahdude

• Write something about yourself here
    • Zen and Vipassana
The Path of Zen vs Vipassana? Is it two of the same?
« on: July 16, 2015, 10:49:19 PM »
Hello everyone! I will try to keep this short and sweet. My involvement with meditation and identification with my spiritual nature has been around since I took psychedelic drugs last year for the first time (LSD, psilocybin). The psychedelic experience showed me what I had to see (or understand). I have taken LSD a few more times this year in attempt to re-experience what I thought "enlightenment" was. Obviously, the drug simply allows the experience of "enlightenment to be felt. But that's it. Nothing more has changed. Nothing more will change.

I must be the change now that I have this understanding of enlightenment. I was brought to meditation through LSD > and Zen. I recently attended my first 10 day Vipassana retreat and enjoyed it very much. Except, as my interest in this business grew through Zen. I am enjoying Zen meditation techniques. Are Zen and Vipassana completely different ways of meditation/paths? Honestly, I don't want to be attached to any one path/way. I would rather build me own? Is that possible? Will I gain benefit from using different meditation techniques? Like counting the breaths? or repeating the koan Mu per in breath and out breath? In the same way does it matter when and how long I meditate? I believe at least twice a day is minimum, one in the am, one in the pm. for a total of 1-2h of meditation? (increase as I move along the path)

Will mixing paths (Zen and Vipassana) be bad? As in it would not have the same effect as Vipassana (body scanning meditation followed by Metta) vs Zen (Counting breaths, connecting to the in and out breath, and koans)?

Thanks everyone! Look forward to using this board. Peace

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: The Path of Zen vs Vipassana? Is it two of the same?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 11:38:15 PM »
Zen and Goenka-Vipassana are different paths. Goenka-Vipassana is one brand of Vipassana - there are many others out there.

You would rather build your own way? You have to build your own way! The triple-gem of Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha are guides to help you find the path. They cannot do it for you.

Welcome to the forum,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~