Author Topic: Meditation while exercising  (Read 2751 times)

alpha_wolf

• Write something about yourself here
    • not decided
Meditation while exercising
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:04:53 AM »
Has anybody tried meditation while exercising? What are the pros and cons? I didnt find many sources, but I know that walking meditation is very popular.

I recently started a regular exercise regimen, and started meditating while exercising, to save on time. I focus on my breath and do a breath-count. I stick to a single exercise type so that the physical motion itself becomes habitual and I can focus on my breath and sensations. My experience is similar to when I was doing a sitting meditation, except I dont fall asleep :)

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
Re: Meditation while exercising
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 01:34:51 PM »
Hi AW,

I stick to a single exercise type so that the physical motion itself becomes habitual
< that is the greatest downfall. Habitual is the opposite of mindful.

Warmly,

Matthew
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

alpha_wolf

• not decided
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »
I guess, I was trying to apply what I had learnt in walking meditation/sitting meditation during my vipassana retreat and here/reading books to meditation.

I can see what you are talking about, but during walking meditation dont you do the same thing over and over again? Or during sitting meditation, trying to bring mindfulness back to breath over and over again?

Do you mean that I should instead try to be aware of all sensation, not just breath?

Essentially last few weeks, I would try to ignore physical sensations, and instead just focus on breath. It would deviate after a couple of minutes and I would bring it back again. The reason I try to do it on a single machine/routine, is so I can focus on the breath. If I change excercise routine/interval training routine such as making it faster and slower, I have to simultaneously focus on the breath and the physical movement. I thought I am not that good/mindful, so I would take it one step at a time.

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:00:38 AM »
The breath, per se, is intangible - it is only in physical contact with the body that it can be perceived and brought to awareness. In breathing meditation the focus is on the physical sensations of the body created by the breathing process (including the brief gap between in and out breath).

In walking meditation the focus is not on the breath - it is on the physical sensations of walking: the touch of your foot on the ground, the bend of the knee, the movement of hips, the swing of the shoulders, the small movements in your feet and toes, etc.

You can not be "aware" of breath whilst ignoring physical sensations - these are the only thing that bring you into contact with breath.

"Breathe in mindful of bodily sensations (those that arise from contact between breath and body), breathe out aware of bodily sensations (again arising from contact between breath and body)".

In walking meditation, walk mindful of bodily sensations (those created by the physical movements of walking), in exercise meditation do not force awareness of breath: be aware of all physical sensations arising from the exercise, including but not limited to, the sensations created by contact between breath and body.

Then you will learn to be "good/mindful", as you put it, of all processes arising from any activity.
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~

VipassanaXYZ

• Goenka
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »
Alpha_wolf

Meditation is not just about watching the breath.

Meditation is not a literal, counting driven function either.
Focusing on the breath is a tool to calm the mind. Jhanas are states of deep yet subtle concentration, the tool of breath is used to develop this concentration/jhana. 

The breath becomes subtle as the concentration progresses, which will not happen if you agitate the body. Meditators sit with stillness, silence, watching the breath to calm the body and mind.

This concentration, can be used while sitting, walking, lying down/all postures, to further develop awareness at all times. Much is lost in translation, so dont use English words literally, the 'concentration' the state of clarity and focus ( based on basic moral purity - read 'five precepts' lead to wisdom (panna )
Buddha regularly did sitting practise after retiring in a secluded place for some time.

*Jhana:http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html#j

*Five precepts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Precepts

*Panna: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/glossary.html#pq
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:37:47 PM by poojavassa »

MeditativeWriter

• To Live is to Die
    • Krishnamurti
    • To Live is to Die
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »
Has anybody tried meditation while exercising? What are the pros and cons? I didnt find many sources, but I know that walking meditation is very popular.

I recently started a regular exercise regimen, and started meditating while exercising, to save on time. I focus on my breath and do a breath-count. I stick to a single exercise type so that the physical motion itself becomes habitual and I can focus on my breath and sensations. My experience is similar to when I was doing a sitting meditation, except I dont fall asleep :)

Hello Alpha Wolf! May i question why you put yourself in such mechanical games? Such a mechanical habit makes the mind dull, insensitive and may probably bring some superficial results (to make you feel calm or relaxed for a while) but inside, deeper, the chaos remains..

Billymac629

• Bill
  • Everything rises and everything falls away
    • Breath and Satipatthana
    • mindfully observing
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 11:57:37 AM »
There is no "one" technique for walking meditation.  I know of people who focus on the breath as they walk.. Others focus on the physical sensations of walking..  Others even focus on metta..  All have had great benefits from their practice.

Find what works for you and stick with it for a while.

Kind regards
Nothing in this world is to be clung to as I, me, or mine...