Author Topic: Meditation Methods  (Read 2999 times)

Chilax

• Write something about yourself here
    • N/A
Meditation Methods
« on: July 08, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this site and also new to meditation.

I'm sure this has probably been asked about a zillion times but I wanted to ask from you what your meditation methods are?

How do you meditate and what ways do you find work best for you?

I'm looking for some inspiration  :)

Thanks in Advance

MeditativeWriter

• To Live is to Die
    • Krishnamurti
    • To Live is to Die
Re: Meditation Methods
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
My first thought is "why do we search for a meditation technique"?  Can't we investigate on our own?

In order to start a good question would be to ask "what exactly is meditation".

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 05:27:58 PM »
I am not sure if it would be fruitful to discuss on various meditation techniques. You said you are looking for inspiration, do you have a specific daily practice right now? If not, I would highly recommend to start with a daily practice first and then post related to it, as and when you have any queries. Please visit the home page of this website for basic instructions on meditation using the breath.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

Chilax

• N/A
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:40:40 PM »
Well the reason I asked was because I wanted to learn a bit from people who are more experienced with it. As I said, I'm completely new to it, I have done my own research and looked at different types online, but part of that research is coming here and asking you guys...

I have done a bit of guided mindfulness meditation from an audio that I got, and I've tried a sitting meditation where I listen to a relaxing mix, try to clear my head and concentrate on my breathing

Vivek

• Advaita & U Ba Khin's tradition
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »
Point taken: you are completely new to the path of meditation. So there is good reason to actually start with a consistent, daily sitting practice which can help you get more grounded and mature in your practice. That is why I suggested you start with practicing using the instructions given in the home page, they are simple and lots of people have reported that they had helped them a lot. Trying a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, does not help. You can also think about attending a mediation retreat in any reputed center, which really helps many novices get well established on the path of liberation.
Let's go beyond this illusion, shall we?

hsspil214

• Anapanasati
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »
Vivek is right. Firsthand experience is king when it comes to meditation. You could receive an answer from everyone experienced in the community. Without experience it will be pointless because you will have no idea how to apply it. If you are looking for a good place to start, I would read any of the free shorter pdfs that are about practical steps to meditate. After, I would start just 10 minutes a day for a month. Evaluate your results. Make a decision based on your results.

MeditativeWriter

• To Live is to Die
    • Krishnamurti
    • To Live is to Die
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »
I would say not all of us have the same idea of what meditation is.. so do we reduce meditation to a technique just to achieve a goal? Is this all about?

Don't know if i am allowed to question all that, i don't mean to be personal at all, hopefully this will lead to an interesting dialog

Middleway

• Just be a witness.
    • Vipassana as taught by Mr. Goenka - Switched to Shamatha
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 10:25:06 PM »
I would say not all of us have the same idea of what meditation is.. so do we reduce meditation to a technique just to achieve a goal? Is this all about?

Don't know if i am allowed to question all that, i don't mean to be personal at all, hopefully this will lead to an interesting dialog

Not interested. I have a feeling that I know what you are going to say. I have already read "Meditations" by Krishnamurti.
Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Billymac629

• Bill
  • Everything rises and everything falls away
    • Breath and Satipatthana
    • mindfully observing
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this site and also new to meditation.

I'm sure this has probably been asked about a zillion times but I wanted to ask from you what your meditation methods are?

How do you meditate and what ways do you find work best for you?

I'm looking for some inspiration  :)

Thanks in Advance
Choose a theme (object) for your meditation, gently focus your attention on the object.  When your mind wanders off, realize you have drifted off your meditation object and gently bring your attention back to the main object of meditation.  Don't get discourage how many times your mind wanders in thought and fantasy, that's what the mind does, just keep observing that your mind has wandered and gently bring it back to your object.
Themes beneficial for meditation are the breath, bodily sensations, feelings, metta, the elements of the body contemplation, sound, ..., etc.

A good book to reference for meditation is the book "With Each and Every Breath" by Bhikkhu Thanissaro.  It is free online.   
Gil Fronsdal's website www.insightmeditationcenter.org has a lot of great resources for meditation.
However sometimes you just have to sit and work at it yourself.  The book and website are valuable to help answer questions you may have as your practicing. But you'll have to sit and put in the effort.

My advice is in the beginning meditate for short periods many times a day.. As you become more familiar start adding more time to your sits.

Maha metta
Nothing in this world is to be clung to as I, me, or mine...