Author Topic: Vipassana 24/7  (Read 3817 times)

Flipasso

Vipassana 24/7
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:57:23 PM »
Hi everyone...
I have been noticing progress in my sitting sessions, especially since I stopped smoking (don't ask me why - I just seem to be more alert).
I seem to go under a more profound state of consciousness and I have less trouble concentrating on the breath... I only meditate for 20 mins in the night, but I'm planning on extending the sitting periods to see if I progress faster.
The reason I'm righting is... I don't notice much progress in my day to day awareness.
I practice Vipassana with 2 purposes:
1- To attain a altered state of consciousness. Which, I seem to be more successful now...
2- To have increased awareness during the day...
I notice I have increased awareness for about 30mins after a sitting, but when the going gets rough, i.e., when the world requests my attention more actively, I get lost in the everyday frame of mind...
How does one increase everyday awareness??
Will sitting for extended periods help?

happiness@you.all

pamojjam

Re: Vipassana 24/7
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 12:55:09 AM »
Hi Fillipe,

How does one increase everyday awareness??
Will sitting for extended periods help?

Certainly, but maybe better do it as you did till now - increasing meditation periods by minutes and not by many hours at once. And it might take still many, many years.

the very best on your path..
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:55:31 AM by pamojjam »

Flipasso

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
I've got very confused when I read Vipassana 101.
It's a very good book and it teaches you tricks to practice Vipassana on a 24/7 basis. This has somehow increased my everyday awareness, but it isn't how I would like it to be...
I notice the imediate effects of meditation, both during sitting and for the 1/2 hour that follows it, but I don't notice an overall increase in my awareness afterwards...
I'm starting fresh, i.e., I used to practice more, but after a pause I'm starting with the 20min routine...
I've considered giving up on Vipassana, inspite of being something I deeply believe in because I notice no changes on my daily awareness...
Maybe Vipassana is just not for me... or maybe I'm just overly anxious and practicing too little.

frepi

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 11:43:35 PM »
You seem to set yourself goals. That isn't a good way to practice meditation in my opinion. You should put yourself available to whatever comes up. It is very likely that your expectations are based on a certain understanding of meditation that you have constructed on what you desire and what you have read or seen. These are probably false. Remember also that patience is most important when meditating. Goenka (sorry to bring this name up for those who don't like him) said in the recordings: "Work patiently, work diligently and persistently. You are bound to be successfull".
I think that before trying to gain awareness, you should increase your concentration. To do that, you need to increase the duration of your sittings. I don't know if you have ever been on a retreat, but to give an idea, Goenka's beginners retreats are 10 days of more than 10 hours a day of meditation. Let me tell you that most of the fist days are spent trying to sit more ore less comfortabily, not meditating.
I remember that before attending my first and only retreat, I had a hard time sitting for more than 15 minutes. Now I can easily sit for 60 minutes without feeling the need to move. I don't write this to show off, but to show that with patience and practice, you will deepen the quality of your meditation and your capacity to sit.
When meditating, you go through several stages. The ones I know with my little experience are uneasiness, drowsiness, pain and boredom, but mostly pain. I don't think that meditation practice is complete if you don't go through these hurdles ( and I am sure some more are experienced by more seasoned meditators). You have to deal with them, you have to learn from them. If your sittings are too short, some of these stages will not be crossed.

So in conclusion, be patient, don't expect anything, no bliss, no increased awareness. Try to increase the length of your sittings maybe up to an hour. Changes will happen, but probably not where you expect them.

REALIZINGdotME

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:14 AM »
I understand your frustration flipasso Aquinas said apathy was called the monk's vice because too many people meditate with no endpoint in mind.

I believe frepi is right on the money though. Any meditation should be done as a witness with no expectation. Each method is a different path to walk but you should enjoy the scenery along the way and not wish the lake you see were a mountain. Having goals is a good thing - outside the meditation, but inside. Just experience. Those goals should dictate your actions and you should change your path if need be but there is much to be learned from Vipissana. It would be difficult for any one way to take you to where you want to go. It also would be impossible to sit for a time and expect your non-sitting time to remain in focus if your non-sitting time did not involve mindfulness as your sitting time does.

I've unfortunately never read V101 so I may be just repeating things but I've found that attaining 24/7 mindfulness is something akin to attaining pure focus during meditation. It only come as it comes, and the harder you try, the rarer it comes. I've also found that some kind of trigger during my day is necessary to remind me to breathe and experience what I'm doing and what's around me. I've been doing meditation for many years and I still find that zone only sporadically. Balance your life and your meditation. As Buddha said to Ven Sona in his meditation in seclusion:
"In the same way, Sona, over-aroused persistence leads to restlessness, overly slack persistence leads to laziness. Thus you should determine the right pitch for your persistence, attune the pitch of the faculties, and there pick up your theme."

Perhaps your view of what's happening in the world around you is what's pulling you out of your zone and not the lack of sitting focus. The eightfold path is not meant to be taken in 8 individual steps. Right mindfulness is cultivated when you have the other 'right's in line as well. If your life is getting in the way of your advancement, it is possible that it is your life - or more specifically, your view of your life that is to blame because it is discordant with what you are trying to achieve and the next form of meditation that you pursue may not take you to where you want to be.

Flipasso

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 12:32:24 AM »
My current plans on awareness:

Start a meditation practice and gradually increase time....
Establish active listening habits...
Establish the habit of noticing physical postures (Vipassana 101) to enhance everyday mindfulness...

How do you rate listening skills in dhamma practice??

jadedragon

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 02:29:43 PM »
  This is one of the most interesting topics:

"How to take the practice from the mountains, to the market place..."

This is why we do the practice; so we can apply it to everyday life affairs and come to see that no one moment is more or less profound than the next.

I don't know about "Vipassana 101", scrap the book, follow your heart, follow your breath.  Sit down, be quiet and remember its not the quantity of how long or how much you practice, its the quality of how you practice.

As a teacher and student of Yoga, I can attest to the tremendous amount of help that continuous practice of the yoga postures and breathing techniques have added to my practice of Insight Meditation (Vipassana).

Remember, whether you practice seated meditation, or are standing in line at the bank, just note your feelings as they arise, and fall away, note everything...This is the practice.

Especially note: when you feel irritated with the practice, and feel like the practice is NOT for you anymore, this is the biggest trick of the mind\ego to get you to stop practicing.  No paths are higher than the Dharma, don't give up, the Buddhists say "The rolling up of the mat phase is very special..." When you feel like rolling up your mat and quitting, just try again some other time.  But never stop cultivating Mindfulness, it is our greatest Allie.

Jimmy Coconuts

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 08:07:14 PM »
I recently was on retreat and experienced a noticible deepening of awareness but that kind of persistant awareness is relatively easier while on retreat.  One purposefully simplifies his life in support of a quiet mind.  How this relates to the thread is that I was very interested in maintaining a continuity of practice while not on retreat.  I've been playing around with this the past couple of weeks and what I have found is that closest one lives like he is on retreat the more momentum in practice we will feel.  A simple uncluttered life leads to an uncluttered mind.  It seems so obvious but from a personal stand point so many of the things that I involve myself in directly promotes an agitated mind.

mindful1983

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 08:26:37 PM »
hey flipasso. congratulations on quitting smoking. that is my goal. any tips? have u guys connected eating and exercise to over-all alertness

Matthew

• The Irreverent Buddhist
  • Meditation: It's a D.I.Y. project.
    • KISS: Keep it simple stupid.
    • Getting nowhere slowly and enjoying every moment.
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »
Eat when you will need your food is a good rule:

"Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper", is a healthy way to eat, giving you the food at the start of the day when you need energy.

If you eat heavily at night the food will be left in your digestive system to ferment whilst you sleep and the next morning you will start digesting that partially rotten food.

A good balance in all things is essential. The Buddha was a keen swimmer - which is the best sport for all over fitness probably.

A lethargic lifestyle will lead to a lethargic meditation. So keeping basically fit and healthy, eating a balanced diet timed for when you need energy. these things help. But of course .. for people who have suffered depression these basics can be hard so just do it one day at a time and don't worry!

Matthew
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 11:48:06 AM by The Irreverent Buddhist »
~oOo~     Tat Tvam Asi     ~oOo~    How will you make the world a better place today?     ~oOo~    Fabricate Nothing     ~oOo~